GR20 June 2012

althefish

Posted: Sun, Nov 20, 2011, 15:58

Hi all,

My wife Julie and I have finally booked our tickets to Corsica and committed 20 days (including travel) to getting out and completing the GR20.

We're flying easyjet from the UK to Nice then ferry to Calvi, which saves a load of money (it works out at about £175 each return) but takes a lot longer.

We should be at Calinzana on the 7th June, ready to start on the 8th, can't wait and starting to get kit together and get some training in already.

Anyone planning a trip for next year? Maybe share some info and even meet up for a hike sometime.

--

... that one may walk in peace

Michele

Posted: Mon, Nov 21, 2011, 12:24

Hi,

The first thing that comes to mind is every time you fill up your tank/canteen/whatever make sure to ask where that water is sourced from and if it is safe to drink. In case, do yourselves a favor and treat the water. In many cases you'll find out that the water is sourced directly from nearby streams whose safety in case of grazing is questionable.

Second, be aware that the bed bugs issue in the refuges is a recurring problem. If you don't want to try your luck, bring your own tent.

Best luck with your GR20

--Michele

dinny

Posted: Mon, Nov 21, 2011, 17:39

Hi Al & Julie Thefish!
Michele's advice is always worth listening to, and his *fabulous* memoire films are an inspiration :-)
This forum contains a wealth of information from previous postings...take heed and you won't go wrong!
I've hiked the GR20 over two visits, 2010 and this year, took tent, food... everything I needed bar water. Happy to share info, via this site or in person if you're ever hiking near Gloucestershire...

Dinny
ps for Michele... I'm off to the Kalahari Desert on Friday, and have been thinking of your films and wishing I had the know-how to make one for my adventure! :-D

althefish

Posted: Tue, Nov 22, 2011, 10:14

Thanks Michele,

Great advice and much appreciated.

We watched your videos last night, fantastic!

The biggest problem we have now is the six month wait until we go :-(

Cheers,

Al

--

althefish

Posted: Tue, Nov 22, 2011, 10:20

Hi Dinny,

I've started looking through the forum, there is loads of great information here.

I'd be particularly interested to hear what you did food-wise as I'm not a fan of the dried stuff but there are some great and inexpensive ready to eat pouches out there.

We're in South Wales, not so far from you :-)

Have a great time in the desert.

Regards,

Al

--

Michele

Posted: Tue, Nov 22, 2011, 10:42

@Al & Julie,

Thanks for watching my videos and for your appreciation :)

I know June seems so far away and six months are a long wait. What I did, at the time, was I kept myself busy, fantasizing about the trail after reading as many recounts/blogs/forums posts as possible.

@Dinny

Thank you for your always sweet comments :)
I wish you a fantastic adventure in the Kalahari Desert. You should really try and shoot some memoir video. But you need to think ahead what you want to tell. You may start shooting the landscapes and express your feelings about; interview your voyage mates. Shoot a lot. Especially every drama that happens good or bad. Later, back at home, you may seek the help of some friend for the editorial work, which - I acknowledge, is a tiring and lengthy process - (and in the meantime cope with the restless friends who urge you to post your video :D). But if you are motivated enough you can do it. Personally I'm a self-taught person: I learned everything I know from the Internet.

--Michele

dinny

Posted: Tue, Nov 22, 2011, 17:20

Hi again Al & Julie,

South Wales isn't so far - maybe we could meet up for a hike and GR20 chat in the new year...?
One bit of stella advice I was given on my first trip by a Belgian fellow hiker was to take cold showers as part of your training - it really did stand me in good stead for the shockingly cold showers at the refuges on my second trip there. What's more, its the one bit of advice I was able to pass on to Michele, and as you've seen his second Corsican film you'll know he followed it up...allbeit noisily!

As for food - I bought a food dehydrator from backpackinglight, and made pasta sauces and the like, all without additives and other unwanted stuff. I'm a self-confessed food crank, but in my defense I reckon it could get pretty expensive to eat at the huts everyday. For breakfast I'd made up little bags of cereal & added ground almonds and dried milk, so I just needed to add water. A top tip lightweight book you might find interesting (and I've found invaluable) is Trail Life, by Ray Jardine - you'll find it on his website.

Have fun with your preps!

Dinny
...ps, I'll give filming my best shot, though I don't know if I have the right gear for it...I'll let you know how I get on. And thank you for your sweet reply! :-)

althefish

Posted: Wed, Nov 23, 2011, 23:16

Thanks Michele, I know I'll survive the next six months by keeping myself busy putting all our kit together and making all the plans.

Dinny, a hike in the New Year would be great; we should be starting to get a bit fitter by then :-)

... and your home dehydration food supply is really interesting, would love to know all the details.

I don't think the cold shower training is for us though, my thinking is that we'll cope on the day, no need to submit to voluntary torture :-)

Will definitely look up 'Trail Life', many thanks.

Al

--

althefish

Posted: Tue, Jan 17, 2012, 15:12

So, we've started training and kit testing for our trip to Corsica in June.

Wednesdays are now 'Mountain Wednesdays' and we'll be walking in the hills at least once a week between then and now.

Started small last week with 7 miles of Corn Du, Pen Y Fan and Craig Gwaun Taf ridge, pack at about 4 kgs, wind, rain and about 30m visibility ... and we'll be in the Brecon Beacons again tomorrow.

Great fun! ... and if anyone fancies joining us one week just let me know.

Cheers folks,

Al

--

dinny

Posted: Tue, Jan 17, 2012, 18:59

Great - I'd love to meet up for a Wednesday walk in a week or two...have you any suggestions for a safe way to contact you?

Dinny

dinny

Posted: Thu, Jan 19, 2012, 7:56

Hi Al and Julie,
Great to hear your GR29 training plans have kicked in! I'd be very happy to join you on a 'Mountain Wednesday' :-)
Let me know how I can contact you safely...
Dinny

althefish

Posted: Thu, Jan 19, 2012, 23:07

Another 'Mountain Wednesday' in the Brecon Beacons, 4.15 miles and about 470 metres of height gain/ loss with a 4kg pack on Fan Fawr; so, about half of a typical GR 20 stage in a little less than 3 hours ... well, there's plenty of time yet :-)

We've started a blog detailing the run-up to our GR 20: the prep, the kit and everyting else at www.lightandfast.wordpress.com. It's a bit light (and fast) on content at the moment but we'll be posting lots more in the coming weeks.

Dinny, it'd be great to meet up for a hike and you can email us at alan@tigerbaytraining.co.uk.

Al

--

Kukko

Posted: Wed, Jan 25, 2012, 16:48

Hi Al,

I quickly checked your gear list and I think you have quite heavy tent for two persons (2,6kg). Carrying any extra gram on those slopes is quite exhausting:)

We did the trip last June so in my blog you could have a look how things looked a year ago:)
http://longdistancetrail.wordpress.com/

althefish

Posted: Thu, Jan 26, 2012, 19:39

Hi there Kukko,

I've had a quick look at your blog, it's great, we'll take some time to look through and enjoy properly over the next few days.

Yes, you're right about the tent, it could be lighter but our budget is tight and the Banshee is fantastic £/kg value with plenty of space for us + kit. We're weighing in at around 9kg each + water + limited food as things stand, not ultralight but fairly light :-)

We'll be doing some 'full weight' training treks soon and that'll give us a better idea how we'll fare.

Looking forward to exploring your blog properly.

Al

--

yorkieman

Posted: Thu, Jan 26, 2012, 21:32

Hello I am new to the forum and going to do the GR20 in August any advice would be greatly appreciated.

--

Yorkieman

Michele

Posted: Thu, Jan 26, 2012, 23:43

Yorkieman,

You may want to start reading this site's pages: http://corsica.forhikers.com/gr20
they are a good introduction to the trail. Also spend some time reading the threads. There is always some useful information there.
Of course buying a good guidebook is wise. I recommend P.Dillon's GR20 CORSICA – The high level route – Cicerone Press (that can be found on Amazon). Finally I jotted down (in a blunt tone) a page with some (imho) key elements that the GR20 hiker should be aware of: http://gr20corsica.wordpress.com/about/

--Michele

Kukko

Posted: Fri, Jan 27, 2012, 6:12

Hi Al,

Okey, that 9+ kg doesn't sound that bad at all. We had much more but we were carrying food for the 2 weeks:D

Enjoy the reading!:)
-Antti

dinny

Posted: Sun, Jan 29, 2012, 20:11

Michele,

In your advice to Yorkieman, you forgot to mention that important but rare book - 'The GR20 Survival Training Programe; Everything Paddy Dillon ought to have told you about the trail...but didn't' !!! ;-)

Yorkieman,

Everything you need to know is probably here in this forum somewhere... But for a great insight into the GR20, be sure to watch Michele's two documentaries (you'll find them through the post headings, also I believe there are links on the main pages of this website.) They have great opening sound tracks too!

Have fun with the research,
Dinny

Michele

Posted: Mon, Jan 30, 2012, 9:30

Dinny,

Doh! The rare book! How could I have possibly forgotten that! I doubt he will easily find it though. This is where I saw it last time:
linky
But soon later it disappeared :D (sold out, maybe?) ;)

Once again thanks for giving the plug to my videos :) But I believe Yorkieman has watched them already (like he stated in his other post) ;)

--Michele

Paul

Posted: Fri, Feb 3, 2012, 13:33

Hi Michele et all,
Wonderful, wonderful videos, I've also checked some of your others particularly along the Amalfi coast stunning. Thank you for sharing.
New to forum, but been watching with interest everybodies comments.
My mate Sarah and I are flying out to Calvi on the 15th June, a week or so behind Julie and Al.
Can't wait, packed rucksack about 3 times already! Struggling to get the weight down :-(
Can you answer a few queries;
What are the night time temperatures like in June?
Do the refuges sell bottled water? (we are taking purification tablets regardless)
Can you but C100 gas cannisters (little screw top ones) in the supermarket in Calenzana or woud it be better to obtain in Calvi?
Al, we are in the Brecons 6th 7th & 8th April, would be great to compare notes?

...Paul

Paul

Posted: Fri, Feb 3, 2012, 19:41

Hi Michele et all,
Wonderful videos, I've also checked out your Amalfi coast contributions thank you for sharing.
I'm new to the forum, but have been reading everybodies comments with interest.
My mate Sarah and I arrive in Calvi on the 15th June, about a week behind Al & Julie I think.
I have a couple of questions;
What are the nightime temperatures in June? Will a lightweight summer sleeping bag do?
How many refuges stock bottled water? (we are taking purification tablets regardless)
Do you know it the supermarket in Calenzana stocks C100 gas canister screw top version?

Al & Julie, we are in the Brecons on the 6th, 7th & 8th April if you fancy meeting up?

Thanks everybody, great site.
Paul

Michele

Posted: Sat, Feb 4, 2012, 10:09

Hi Paul,
Thanks for checking out my videos and for the appreciation.

In the past 2 years as far as I know June has been rather warm, although in case of showers temperatures may drop, especially on the mountains. You may want to check out this page:

http://corsica.forhikers.com/weather

Personally I wouldn't carry a too light sleeping bag. But that's me. If you are accustomed to at times cold-ish temperatures you may get away with a light sleeping bag.

To my knowledge the refuges don't sell bottled water, so you have to rely on the sources (and treat the water when necessary).

I'm not sure about the gas canisters. I've never been to the supermarkets in Calenzana, so, your best bet would be to buy them in Calvi (since you'll go through that place anyway).

Best luck with your trek

--Michele

althefish

Posted: Mon, Feb 6, 2012, 14:20

Hi Paul,

That's a great plan, let's hike, maybe even a little multi-day with a night in the wild?

Keep in touch and we can make arrangements nearer the time.

Cheers,

Al

PS. I've just posted a few snowy pictures from my hike in the Brecon Beacons last week at http://lightandfast.wordpress.com/training/

--

dinny

Posted: Wed, Feb 8, 2012, 23:35

Michele,
That's so funny! You make me smile :-)

Hi Paul ,Sarah, Al and Julie,

If I can get away, do you mind if I tag along to the Brecons? Of course I will be green with envy that you guys are all going to Corsica this year, but I'll try to keep a lid on it!
...Hey Michele, why not come to Wales too?!

Dinny

Michele

Posted: Thu, Feb 9, 2012, 17:43

Thanks for the invitation, Dinny but I can't :(

By the way, aren't you having an awful weather over there like in Italy these days?

--Michele

Paul

Posted: Thu, Feb 9, 2012, 20:42

Hi Dinny,
Great, love to have you along, but I think you will have to be prepared for non stop questions about everything GR20ish.
Shame Michele can't make it, you feel you know him really well because of his fantastic video and comments on this site - always helpful and constructive.
It would be really cool to meet up and hike together at some point, perhaps we can encourage him over to good old blighty otherwise we will have to do the Italian Dolomites......now that would be a hike.....!!??
Let us know nearer the time if you are on for the Brecons.
Regards
Paul.