How many km/day??

sheraprincessofpower

Posted: Wed, Jan 4, 2012, 17:17

I note that a website recommends 15 days for the 180 km, which is around 1 mile/hour assuming an 8 hour day. That seems ridiculously slow for me. I am a very strong backpacker and regularly hike long-distance trails at around 25 miles/day, 15 miles/day in the absolutely most mountainous, arduous terrain. I want to enjoy the hike but don't want to bore my 16-yr-old by stopping at noon every day. Can any strong hikers who have completed this hike provide some feedback?

--

sheraprincessofpower

Michele

Posted: Wed, Jan 4, 2012, 22:03

Shera,

The very first thing that comes to mind is: you can always double up each stage. A couple of friends I know well, have completed the 180 km in 7 days, walking dawn-to-dusk (and so do the legionnaires of the French Foreign Legion based in Corsica). Since you are a strong backpacker you can certainly decide which stages can be doubled (although, IMHO it's not the best way to fully enjoy the trail - but of course anything is subjective).
I strongly advise you to read the excellent and famous guidebook by Paddy Dillon: GR20 - Corsica - The High Level Route, a must for anyone seriously planning this trip.

Best luck with your GR20

--Michele

NicolaR

Posted: Thu, May 31, 2018, 22:08

Hi,

Is it feasible to make it in 14-15 days for two 18 year olds who have little experience in hiking but who are pretty fit?

Many thanks!!

--

NicolaR

Gaffr

Posted: Fri, Jun 1, 2018, 4:22

Hello,
If it is possible for two septuagenarians to have done this walk on more than one occasion then no problems for eighteen year old's.....get them out with the packs plus contents that they will carry on the walk with lots of ups and downs on rough terrain. See what happens. That is what I would call preparation.

--

Gaffr