GR 20 South to north

LisaSusan

Posted: Thu, Jan 5, 2012, 15:07

Hi hoping to do GR 20 August 26th to Sept 16th flying into Bastia on a Sunday, does anyone know whether the airport shuttle bus runs regularly during the day to get us to Bastia town. Also how soon do you have to book the refuges do they get booked up quickly as soon as the site opens in March. Does anyone who has done the route south to north have any tips/hints they can share. Thanks

--

Lisa

Michele

Posted: Fri, Jan 6, 2012, 9:44

Hello Lisa,

It's very difficult to answer your first question. First off, because the public transportation in Corsica leaves much to be desired (in terms of frequency and punctuality) and secondly because many services don't run on Sundays. So I strongly advise you to double check this site:
http://www.corsicabus.org/busBastia/BIA_Airport.html
as you can see, the current timetable is only until next March.

In general there is no need to book the refuges in a hurry. But, of course, if you have your dates set, it's better to do it sooner than later. So far I didn't notice any rush for that but don't overlook the fact that some companies that lead groups on the trail often book many places at once.

As for the hints/tips, your question is a little vague. There are no specific tips/hints that apply because of the direction chosen. Take your time and don't rush it through. Always choose the high-level alternative if the weather permits (don't miss out on the Aiguilles de Bavella!), stay put if the weather forecast is against you, go light, bring a tent but eat at the refuges (Ok, I know you want to sleep in the refuges, but please be aware of the recurring annoying issue of the bed bugs!).

I wish you a great adventure on the trail :)

--Michele

LisaSusan

Posted: Fri, Jan 6, 2012, 16:20

Lisa
Thanks Michele for your advice, looking at some previous posts re foods/meals at the refuges I see you had meals at refuges and camped. So do you need to pre-book meals or do you book them when you arrive at each hut. I am still confused over this problem of arriving on a Sunday at Bastia and then having to find transport. I think our party are going to do the route south to north so will need to get to Conca and I was hoping that after looking at the bus/train timetables that there was a shuttle bus from the airport to Bastia but listening to others arriving on Sundays previously have not found any shuttle bus. Lisa

--

Lisa

Michele

Posted: Fri, Jan 6, 2012, 19:01

Lisa,

You don't need to pre-book the meals. You just tell the gardien you want have dinner as soon as you arrive at the refuge. If I remember correctly dinner is usually at 6 pm.

Regarding your arrival at Bastia airport ... how many of you are there? Because, depending on the number - but this is just a wild guess - you might want to try to contact the camping La Tonnelle: they run a shuttle service between Conca and S.Lucie de Porto Vecchio, but, who knows, for a price they might agree and come pick you up from the airport. Ok it's a long shot, but dropping them a line is worth a try.

latonnelleconca@hotmail.com
http://www.gite-conca.com/

Besides that you could try and contact the airport to get updated timetables.
http://www.bastia.aeroport.fr/AeroportBia/acces_Navette.php?lang=en&PHPS...

--Michele

LisaSusan

Posted: Sat, Jan 7, 2012, 8:32

Lisa
Thanks for those tips. ;-))

--

Lisa

daskew

Posted: Thu, Jan 12, 2012, 23:39

Hi Lisa, afraid I will miss your group by about 2 weeks. I am also planning on hiking south to north starting on the trail Aug 12th. I am coming from the USA and worked my flights so I would not arrive on Sunday, will be flying from Paris to Bastia on Easyjet, spend Fri night in Bastia and then take the bus to Conca Sat morn where I plan to spend the night. I need the extra night to start getting over jet lag and don't want to start on the trail in mid-day. I have been in touch with LaTonelle and they have been excellent about getting back to me. As Michele has suggested, I hope to eat in the refuges but carry my own lightweight gear, including a solo tent and pro-lite short therma-rest. Do check out the different sleeping pads before you buy one, the neoair felt very different to me and I didn't care for it, probably all the years of using the therma-rest and being close to the ground. Looks like a great product tho. The other disadvantage to the refuges would be the noise and possibility of picking up any colds or viruses that others have. I just have to be in the same room with a sickie and I'll be the next one incubating it. Hope you have a great time, I'm enjoying the planning!!

Deborah

rocust

Posted: Fri, Jan 13, 2012, 17:23

Hi Deborah,

That's interesting: there is a 50% chance we start our first hiking day also on August the 12th. in Conca. 'we' is me (50 years) and my son (18 years). We're from Holland and have been at Corsica for many times, but only 2 years ago we started with one-week hikes (Mare a Mare Centre, Mare a Mare Nord). Fantastic, fantastic, fantastic. Now the time has come for the GR20!

We only have one week, so given the GR20 got an extra day (because of splitting Usciolu-Asinao), I'm puzzling what to do: follow the old track or start at Bavella instead of Conca. I found out that the two new etappes to and from Matalza are very short now, so I tend to go for the old track even though that etappe was quite long (8,5 hours).

It also might be we start in Vizzavona, enabling us to postpone the decision what to do (as we only need to decide after Usciolu). The startingpoint depends on how we walk in Picos de Europa in the beginning of July...

Anyhow: quite a big chance we'll meet, either in Conca when starting or halfway (if we started in Vizzavona). I guess we'll meet also before on this forum;-)

Rob

daskew

Posted: Fri, Jan 13, 2012, 22:38

Hi Rob, that would be fun to meet up with you and your son. I already have a reservation at LaTonelle in Conca for Aug 11 so that is definitely where I will be starting from!! I will be hiking solo as far as Haut Asco where my husband will join me for the last few days. My plan is to arrive there by Aug 23. We will spend an extra night there (I have booked the Chalet) so we can hike Monte Cinto if weather permits. I'm planning on hiking fairly much according to the suggested itinerary but will do the Asinau-Usciolu stage in one day. I may end up doing a couple of stages together depending on how I feel. Although I am an old lady ( :-) age 54) I can move on the trails and have an endurance background. I'm planning on camping so I can be flexible and not have to commit ahead of time. Hoping my pack weight will be less than 6.5 kgs before food & water. I could pare it down a bit more but I really want to have my stove for morning coffee as I don't plan on breakfasting at the refuges, just only buying dinners there. I guess I will only see the dust from your boots if you are planning on a 7 day trek!

rocust

Posted: Sat, Jan 14, 2012, 18:30

6,5 kgs seems quite low. We also take our own tent, and I really wonder how you manage this. I would be happy if we'll don't exceed the 10 kgs... All 'reduce your pack weight' tips are welcome!

And I don't think you'll see the dust from our boots, I guess it could well be the other way around...

daskew

Posted: Sun, Jan 15, 2012, 5:23

So far, my tent (660g), sleeping bag (790g) & pad (430g), stove (131g), pot, fuel, extra clothes loaded into my pack weighs just under 4.5kgs so I need to make sure I keep my non-essentials down to 2kgs. I've accumulated as much light weight gear as possible over the years and find it's worth every extra penny. From reading the boards, the one thing that became clear for the GR20 is that in August, you don't really need a lot of extra clothing. I find that as an aging small person, the lighter I go, the happier I am. But there is also a balance you need to find for yourself between acceptable comfort & lighter gear.
I'm trying to make a list as I think of things so as not to forget anything!!

dinny

Posted: Sun, Jan 15, 2012, 14:22

Hey,
I've found a wealth of lightweight information in Ray Jardine's 'Beyond Backpacking' (or 'Trail LIfe' as the newer book is called.) Also online the websites of Gossamer Gear & backpackinglight provide useful tips.
The tent I use is a one-person Terra Nova, which becomes a spacious 2 person tent when the inner is removed (no problems with biting insects flying around on the GR20 at night) - using an 'emergency blanket' as a ground sheet the tent weighs in at 775g. A lot of the very lightweight gear is expensive, but often I've found things I already own can be altered, or gear can be made from scratch, which is a great way to spend winter evenings preparing for the trek.
Mind you, heading steeply uphill on a scorching day in Corsica, my pack invariably feels too heavy, no matter how well I've culled any excess!
Dinny

Joanna

Posted: Sat, Apr 19, 2014, 14:28

Moderators, I think this last post (now deleted by Mods) should be deleted, unless you open for advertisers in posts...

Mod edit: post removed

Tarjei

Posted: Tue, Apr 22, 2014, 10:49

Rob,

There is no problem following the 'old' track between Usciolu and Asinau. The route was 'closed' and the markings removed, but it has been opened up again and remarked.
And, though I can't say anything about the new route, I would definitely do the original route which I enjoyed walking very much. The walk over the Plateau de Cuscione and Mont Incudine was great.

Tarjei

Gaffr

Posted: Tue, Apr 22, 2014, 12:51

Hello Rob,
I am a bit puzzled! Given the fact that you say you have just one week on the trail....maybe you may be a bit pushed to do the nine days from Vizzavona to Calinzana?
As Tarjei says the true route is Asinau to Usciolu which was the way we went in 2007 coming from the North...a longish day out. Last year coming up from the South I decided that after visiting the top of Monte Alcudina/Incudine that I would check out the new overnight place at Crocu which is reached prior to Matalza and Basseta for which the terrain did not look too interesting. The main route after the descent of Alcudina can be re-joined very quickly after leaving Crocu bergeries.
This way would may be useful if folks wanted an easier/shorter day?

--

Gaffr

Tarjei

Posted: Tue, Apr 22, 2014, 15:48

This is quite silly, this thread is over two years old. ;)

Tarjei

Joanna

Posted: Tue, Apr 22, 2014, 18:11

hahah yes real zombie that one! The only reason it popped up again is because of the now deleted advertisement in a post!

Michele

Posted: Tue, Apr 22, 2014, 18:37

Unfortunately we don't have a way to lock old threads :(

Joanna

Posted: Tue, Apr 22, 2014, 18:53

are you sure? Usually, you can do it on forums. Often, you can default the automatic closure after a given period of time, like 6 or 12 mounts.. maybe Marek knows how to?

Michele

Posted: Wed, Apr 23, 2014, 6:15

Joanna,

Marek has given us a limited set of actions on this forum. Only he can do that.