It there a problem with bed bugs

LisaSusan

Posted: Sun, Jan 8, 2012, 13:37

Is there a problem with bed bugs in the refuges, camping is a real pain for me as I find sleeping on the ground very uncomfortable. So I really need to assess the risk of getting myself bitten and my lovely newish sleeping bag infested with bugs. Any info and/or advice welcomed.

--

Lisa

Michele

Posted: Sun, Jan 8, 2012, 16:43

Lisa,

On this forum you will find testimonials of this to be an annoying evidence. And also on the official Park blog this issue seems to be a recurring problem. On 3 Nov 2011 a post states that another disinfection is taking place:

http://randoblogpnrc.blogspot.com/2011/11/campagne-de-desinfection-des-r...

However it is my opinion this issue will not be permanently solved because other disinfections were done in the past with only temporary success.

So it is really up to you if you want to take any chances. I would suggest you get yourself a good inflatable mattress and stay away from the refuges. Objects that get infested must to be washed at high temp to be ridden of such bugs. Not easy to do it on the trail.

--Michele

LisaSusan

Posted: Sun, Jan 8, 2012, 17:32

Lisa
Thanks Michele you are the font of advice and information on the GR20. Will have to start researching lightweight inflatable mattresses.

--

Lisa

Michele

Posted: Sun, Jan 8, 2012, 18:36

Lisa,

there are so many out there. My only recommendation is not to buy a SELF inflatable mat because they are difficult to fold down to a small size.

This is an inflatable one:
http://www.outdoorkit.co.uk/product.php?product_id=9644
and it is also lightweight and it gets down to 28 x 11cm when folded.

And ... don't worry about being uncomfortable sleeping on the ground. After 6-7 hours walk up and down broken terrain, granite slabs, rocks and stones, the minute you lay down you'll fall deep asleep ;)

--Michele

dinny

Posted: Wed, Jan 11, 2012, 10:48

Hi Lisa,

You will probably find that many nights you can sleep out under the stars, & you'll be so glad to have a mattress with you to enable you to do that!

Personally I have a cheap 'roll mat' that I cut down to half its size,which protects my more expensive mattress and gives extra insulation & comfort too. While hiking I stow it loosely rolled inside my pack as an extra, protective 'skin'. In the past for the GR20 I used a tiny, XSmall Thermarest Prolite, 230g, packed size 28x8cm, but since than I've a new bed-fellow (!) - a small NeoAir, that has a larger foot-print than the Prolite, weighs 260g, and packs down to 23x9cm. Both of these are available from www.backpackinglight.co.uk I've seen the NeoAir for sale in lots of other places, sometimes pretty cheaply.

I'd go along with Michele's comment about sleeping well, but add that the Corsican beer, available at all the refuges, works a treat! :-) The only thing that kept me awake was the cold at high refuges when I hiked the Northern section without a warm enough sleeping bag.

Sleep well!
Dinny