GR 20 during March

Harald

Posted: Mon, Feb 27, 2012, 10:47

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the GR20 but am looking into doing it next month. I'll be taking a bombproof tent which can stand a lot of snow (Hilleberg Nammatj GT if you have to know), some type of minimalist crampons and an ice axe, among the other needed equipment for winter camping in the mountains.

I've read the topic of doing it in April but saw that it went off-topic quite fast so am here to ask some other questions:

Are there any places along the GR20 where I can resuply food during March? Villages closeby, ... ?
Is there a long length of trail where it is impossible to set up a tent because of rocks or other obstacles?
Is there anyone who has experience trekking the GR20 during the winter here?

That's it for now, I know there can be a lot of snow but the amount of snow and the texture of it at the moment looks promising, also the weather forcast doesn't seam bad.

Thanks for making this site and everyone who posted on the forum,

Harald

Michele

Posted: Mon, Feb 27, 2012, 12:29

Harald,

You have to get yourself a good map and chart your food resupply detours to the closest villages every time you are in need. Needless to say this will lengthen your trek. All the huts are in reasonably close range to the villages below (from where they get their food supplies), but sometimes the gap can be considerable.
As for the places where to set up camp, I doubt you should have any problems and if you're camping on the snow you won't have to bother with uneven terrain, stones etc.

As for the snow, I don't know what you mean with that "promising". Over here in Italy we've got a spell of heavy snowfalls which affected areas at the same latitude as Corsica. But you are probably more informed than me about the current Corsica weather conditions.

I too hope someone with experience on the GR20 in winter will come forward. I'm curious to have first hand information. You might also consider dropping a line to Paddy Dillon. There is an old thread about doing the GR20 in spring over at outdoorsmagic.com/forum where he hangs around:
http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/forummessages.asp?v=1&urn=2&utn=10952...

Best luck
--Michele

dinny

Posted: Mon, Feb 27, 2012, 14:10

Hi Harald,
Not much I can add other than speculate how hard it'll be to follow the route if the waymarks painted on the rocks are hidden under snow... Carte de Randonnee do a good set of 1:25000 maps. As for food resupplies: a few refuges are near roads, but other refuges are resupplied by helicopter or mule, so I guess those ones are quite a distance from supply points. It'll be a big adventure for sure!
Best of luck to you, and please post up on the forum how you get on...

Hey Michele,
How are you, and how are your 2012 adventure plans shaping up? Have you made plans for Sardinia? Joyful planning and hiking, wherever it is you go...

Dinny

Michele

Posted: Mon, Feb 27, 2012, 18:19

Dinny,

Nothing decided yet (it's a bit early). I'm evaluating some options ... Thanks! I wish you an exciting summer trek!

-- Michele

Harald

Posted: Mon, Feb 27, 2012, 18:34

Thanks for the fast answers,

I'll try ro get there and see how it is over there, if I have to turn back, so be it.

Are there any lower paths you could recommend me as backup? (I'll try to do the GR20 from South to North so if there's something near the begining in the South part of Corsica that would be nice).

Harald

ivanhong24

Posted: Mon, Feb 27, 2012, 22:17

Harald,

I am going to the GR20 in March as well. What time are you going?

Chuan

--

Chuan Hong

Michele

Posted: Tue, Feb 28, 2012, 7:09

Harald,

Check out the Mare a Mare Sud

corsica.forhikers.com/mare-mare-sud

-- Michele

Harald

Posted: Tue, Feb 28, 2012, 8:39

Thanks Michele.

Chuan, I was planning to start the GR20 the 9th but it seams that the weather will be turning worse by the 6th. What is your plan, when are you going?

Harald

ivanhong24

Posted: Tue, Feb 28, 2012, 11:29

Harald, I'm going on the 25th of March and finish on the 3rd of April.

--

Chuan Hong

Harald

Posted: Tue, Feb 28, 2012, 13:24

The 3th of April I already have plans in Switzerland so that won't go, but good luck and tell us how it went.

Harald

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, Feb 29, 2012, 8:04

Hello,
Regarding the Mare a Mare Sud.....We didn't find many places that offered camping on this route....in fact just one at the municipal camping at Serra di Scopamena the other overnights were spent in the villages but even those were well booked up (in June) by the organised groups. In only a couple of places did you feel as if your were in the hills...at the high ground above Fozzano and at Punta di a Vacca Morta. Ghjallicu is a special wee place, where there is an eclectic hostel, at the most northerly part of the route with its melange of horses and pigs. But being on the 'high ground' is not always the reason for walking in Corse... on this route the history and the old villages are perhaps why one walks? There are fine views several times towards the Aiguilles de Bavella and the southern part of the GR20. Perhaps this route is marred by the amount of walking on the road surfaces at both ends although we didn't experience the road from Propriano to Burgo having reached the Burgo refuge by walking both the Mare e Monti Nord and Mare e Monti Sud to arrive here.

--

Gaffr

Harald

Posted: Wed, Feb 29, 2012, 9:01

Thanks for the info Gaffr!

I'll probably wait a while to do the GR20, maybe this summer. I'll just do some skiing in the mean time and hope that I find a job somewhere.

Thanks everyone for replying on this topic and helping me out to make up my mind!

Thanks a lot,

Harald