woodstove on the GR 20

IggyRiggy

Posted: Sun, Mar 4, 2012, 14:47

hello, does somebody now if a woodstove is allowed on the camping sites along the GR 20?

Gaffr

Posted: Mon, Mar 5, 2012, 7:31

Is there a lightweight stove for backpakers/hikers? I have seen folks in Scotland with small stoves inside the tent, heavier weight Bellshaped Tipee types, but I wouldn't be happy carrying one of these over the Jairvan....too heavy. Maybe there is a lightweight stove? The burning of wood is not tolerated along the route and since the only places where camping is permitted is at the refuge areas I would guess that this would be severly monitored? You might argue that naked outdoor flames are used to burn the rubbish and debris at the refuges.....there is evidence of this.....maybe this is the only permitted 'naked flame' burning? I guess that not all the camping areas would not have dead dry fuel to burn and since the vegetation at the higher level is so precious there would be a problem.

--

Gaffr

IggyRiggy

Posted: Tue, Mar 6, 2012, 23:40

Thx for your answer. I use a Bushbuddie ultra, 137 Gr. The stove needs only a bit of wood and you always find enough to heat water.It is verry safe in use, i would say, you don´t een see were it stood on the ground.

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, Mar 7, 2012, 10:17

Looks like a good bit of kit and would certainly pay for itself in no time at all....I looked up the Bushbuddie stove on-line.... kind of similar, in the way it works with double skin etc, to the volcano 'boiling thing' that I watched folks using many years ago. But this one would allow you to cook normal stuff rather than just be used as a boiling device? If there was no smoke given off it might not be obvious that it was in use?
You won't be stuck for the ability to cook a meal on the GR20 since there are at many...all?...of the stage camps the provision of outdoor gas cooking facilities on site. I can recall using the gas cookers at l'Onda and at Paliri and elsewhere along the route. I use a gas stove but there are times when you run low on fuel.

--

Gaffr

dinny

Posted: Wed, Mar 7, 2012, 14:05

Hi Iggy,
I used a very small, very lightweight little wood burning stove on the GR20 last year - not every day, but at some refuges where the campers' kitchen wasn't available (or visable!) I also used it (on bare rock/dirt - by rivers, for example) when over-crowded refuge campsites made an early morning start and breakfast away from the sites more attractive! Its titanium, made by 'EverNew', and burns pencil thin sticks.
I didn't have any complaints about using it, but then I was discrete. The stove can hold a 'beer can' meths burner too, so I don't think it looks obviously like a wood burner.
Have a great trip,
Dinny

IggyRiggy

Posted: Wed, Mar 7, 2012, 23:33

Thx a lot Dinny and Gaffr,
I will take it with me and use it the same way as Dinny, also with a meth stove inside as a back-up.I hope it will be not too crowded . We start the 15/6 in Calenzana and hope the wetter will be not to cold. In 2010 there was a lot of snow and i was to Ultra Lite :-) .We had to take some other Trails,beautifull also.

I love to go again.