luggage transfer

hjmvh

Posted: Wed, Mar 14, 2012, 12:25

We are a group of 4 people and go for hiking the GR20 in september 2012 from south to north. We will stay 1 day in a hotel in Ajaccio and leave a part of the luggage there. The problem is to get the luggage to the gite where we will be staying for 4 days after the trekking.(somewhere in the region of Calvi/Bastia. Does anyone know what the options are for this transfer ?

--

hjmvh

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, Mar 14, 2012, 23:05

My immediate thoughts are that it might be easier to go from North to South.....When in Ajaccio take the wee train all the way to Calvi and take your luggage with you on the train. You then have to take either a taxi or the bus to the start at Calinzana. My daughter did this after arriving by air into Ajaccio but she didn't have the extra luggage..... like ourselves she had everthing in the walking rucksack. But I do recall that my wife left a small package with her not needed on the walk stuff at the station in Bastia and recovered it before we left for the return ferry in Bastia. The folks at the station were very helpful. I'm not too sure about getting buses from Ajaccio to reach the start at Conca. I am familiar with the bus service from Port Vecchio to reach Bastia....straight run up the East coast of the island.
I do also recall that, after the walk across the island using the Mare e Mare Nord that we had to firstly get a bus to Porto, stay overnight, then get another bus to reach Calvi the following day. Transport by bus is not a integrated operation on the island but we did enjoy a fine camp in Porto with a swim from the gravelly beach and a beautiful evening watching the sun light up the craggy summit of Capu d'Orto.
I'm sure that other folks will have different solutions to your problem.

--

Gaffr