bergeries / refuges

ron_obvious

Posted: Wed, Apr 4, 2012, 1:12

Greetings, forum!

So I waited and waited....and when I went to book my nights on the PNRC website, I realized that it only handles the main refuges. (which, der, I should have known.) But...so how do I know I'll have a spot at Bergeries de Ballon or Hotel Castel di Verghio? I'll be there June 13-18, and traveling south to north, but...do I just show up?

thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Michele

Posted: Wed, Apr 4, 2012, 6:21

Hi Ron,

Yes, it's not possible to make reservations in such places. But you should not have any problems, especially if you're camping out.

Best luck
--Michele

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, Apr 4, 2012, 6:53

Hello,
I only camped in the enclosure, people inside animals outside (ho, ho!)...same at l'Onda, at Hotel di Castel Verghio and took a meal in the restaurant....there is a phone number given for the hotel in Mr. Dillon's guide.....04 95 48 00 01...will it be open at this time of year for skiing?

Do you mean Berg./Auberge U Vallone? which is the stage stop earlier, which as far as I remember has tent space for hire. I can't recall the availability of bedspace? Mr. Dillon does say that there are bunks for hire in a large tent. No phone number is given for Vallone. Stopped here for a bit of breakfast after camping a couple of kls. prior at rif. Tighjettu.

--

Gaffr

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, Apr 4, 2012, 9:12

Correction to the previous post.....since you are walking the route from South to North the Ballone/U Vallone would obviously follow after the hotel di Vergio. My recall of the stages of the journey is a North to South one since that was the direction that we travelled. I am sure that you were the folks that asked some time earlier regarding the reaching of Calvi from Bonifatu in case you had to leave early from the traverse?

--

Gaffr

ron_obvious

Posted: Wed, Apr 4, 2012, 21:42

Thanks, Gaffr & Michele! I figured the bergeries were a little more relaxed in their booking systems.

I'm hope hope hoping to do the pre-tented tents, keeping our packs lighter. And yes....I was the one wondering about the possibility of stopping at Bonifatu.

And if anyone is going to be there in mid-June, we'll be les americaines hoping our French doesn't offend anyone.

:)

Gaffr

Posted: Thu, Apr 5, 2012, 6:27

In 2009 we camped on the dusty terrace behind the Auberge de la Foret at Bonifatu while walking along the Mare e monti trail. There were recently completed wee wooden chalets for hire. The toilets and showers for campers were part of the facilities available at this new venture. Of course there is the original restaurant, hotel/gite/refuge facilities too. Mr Dillon lists a phone number for here 04 95 65 09 98. Hope this is of use.

--

Gaffr

Turnertactics

Posted: Thu, Apr 5, 2012, 8:29

We stayed at the Hotel Castel di Verghio in August. We didn't book but there was plenty of room. It might not be the best hotel in the world but it was nice to sleep in a bed and have a long hot shower. The budget rooms are in the basement and quite adequate. The food was good hearty grub too and we didn't have any tummy trouble that seems to afflict many of the people staying at the refuge/campsite. Watch Michele's excellent video!

--

Alan

Saltdean_Phil

Posted: Sat, Apr 7, 2012, 14:02

On the theme of Bergeries, anyone know if and how we can book in advance for the Bergeries de Campanelle and the Bergeries d'Asinao? Do they have tent hire?

Thanks in advance

--

Phil

Michele

Posted: Sat, Apr 7, 2012, 18:20

Phil,

I don't know about the Bergerie de Capannelle, but, the numbers of the nearby Gite d'Etape U Fugone are: 0495570181 or 0495563934 (taken from P.Dillon's book). The owners of the Bergerie de Asinau are Aline and Pierre DO and their number is: +33 6 17 53 98 92

I don't know if there are tents for hire at Capannelle. Definitely it's forbidden to pitch tents around the Bergerie de Asinau (at least that's what the owners told us; pretty weird if you consider that at the Bergeries de Ballone instead it is ok - doh!)

--Michele

Gaffr

Posted: Sat, Apr 7, 2012, 19:49

A few more observations on 'places to stay' en route. At Vizzavona we stayed in the dortoir of the Hotel I Laricci which is uphill from the busy part of the etape. The dortoir is a basic mini building at the rear of the hotel and the room that we stayed in had six bunk beds of a military design. Further uphill is the Monte d'Oro hotel but I didn't see this building.....it seems to have a separate path from the refreshment cabin before the drop down to Vizzavona.....and a separate path to link with the normal one up to the beautiful Bocca Palmento.
I don't recall seeing any of the hire tents at Capanelle where we camped but of course there is also accommodation here. At Capanelle, above the Restaurant, there is a basic wee hut, in Scotland we would call this a bothy. When we passed, dropping down to the camping place in 2007, the roof was party damaged but when we came this way, in 2011, after Monte Renosu, we could see that a repair has been made to the roof.

--

Gaffr

Saltdean_Phil

Posted: Mon, Apr 9, 2012, 10:42

Thank you Gaffr and Michele for your replies.

The number of the Bergeries d'Asinao helps.

I'll keep trying to find contact details for the Bergeries Capanelle. Once I've recovered my copy of the Paddy Dillon book from a friend, I'll be able to see where the nearby Gite d'Etape U Fugone is. I've looked at the detailed map and can't see it.

Incidentally, how do I get rid of "new" and "Phil when posting replies?

--

Phil

Gaffr

Posted: Mon, Apr 9, 2012, 13:38

U Fugone, I guess, is the large building close to the camping at Capanelle where we pitched our tent. It has a restaurant, accommodation and a shop where we bought some supplies. The bergeries, I guess, are the old traditional buildings that stand close to the 'big building' and from where one of the ski lifts begin but these seemed to be unoccupied and looked like wee holiday places.....almost like relics of the old transhumance days. When descending to U Fugone? on the GR20 we crossed the road leading to an upper car park with a building U Renosu?....we did not reach to this building on our travels although we could see it from near to the camping place.
The small bothy-like building (PNRC refuge d'E Capanelle?) is within a couple of minutes uphill of the U Fugone.
I hope that this is of some use.

--

Gaffr

Michele

Posted: Mon, Apr 9, 2012, 19:29

About the Capannelle compound I got confused too. When we reached the main building coming down from the mountain we noticed the sign on it that said "gite de Capannelle"

img813.imageshack.us/img813/89/screenshot004yi.jpg

but on the opposite side of the SAME building it would say Gite U Fugone. (I also noticed some small buildings further up, but, didn't bother to check - probably the small bothy-like building (PNRC refuge d'E Capanelle?) that Gaffr mentions).
Finally, at the end of the tarmac road there was the Refuge U Renosu which was closed.

In his book P.Dillon clearly mentions these 3 places. But, like I said, I got confused because of the measleading sign "gite de Capannelle" on the building that was actually the Gite U Fugone.

Gaffr

Posted: Tue, Apr 10, 2012, 8:02

Many thanks Michele. The image explains some of the confusion here. (LoL) I must say that I did not ever reach the rear of this building. Seems to be Gite Capanelle for sleeping and U Fugone for eating and for buying products for eating. I only ever accessed through the front door.
I have an image taken when we were descending from Monte Renosu last year, not brilliant, but it does illustrate the three buildings in question and even some of the transhumance buildings. Is there any way of posting an image directly to this site? I'm not a member of any of the on-line image sites.

--

Gaffr

Michele

Posted: Tue, Apr 10, 2012, 14:00

Roger,

According to P.Dillon's book there IS a bergerie style PNRC Refuge d'E Capannelle with a 15-bed dormitory. Then the author mentions the Gite d'Etape U Fugone with 62 beds in a variety of dormitories. The confusion lies when we come to a third name Gite de Capannelle (not mentioned in the book) which must be the naming used on the back of the U Fugone building. So, ultimately, I believe the PNRC Refuge d'E Capannelle should be in a separate place.

PS
You can probably show an image with the !imageurl!:url sintax (unless it's been disabled) but I don't think you may upload them to the corsica.forhikers.com server. I use imageshack.us but I never registered. I just look into the page source (once the image has been uploaded) to identify the right link ;)

--Michele

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, Apr 11, 2012, 7:19

Michele,
I'll have a try at what you are suggesting...re the image of the area around Capanelle as seen during the descent of Monte Renosa.

(Broken link removed by moderator.)

There were several address things to choose from, unsure of which one to use, so this above is just one of them.
I am too old in the tooth and have no more than the ability to press a few keys on a PC keyboard.

Anyway if you are able to make something of the image.....looking down on the area.... the building on the left of the image is probably what Mr Dillon calls the gite d'Etape U Renosa?, the small building with the green roof is the PNRC bothy and the red roofed building is the double named Gite de Capanelle/U Fugone.....well that's as I understand things to be?

If this does not work out I can always send the image as an attachment to an e mail message.

--

Gaffr

Michele

Posted: Wed, Apr 11, 2012, 9:17

Roger,

I edited your pic to show you what I understand of the area. The only doubt I have is regarding the PNRC bothy but I'm pretty sure about the other 2.

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/8121/capannelle.jpg

--Michele

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, Apr 11, 2012, 11:14

Michele,
Glad to hear that you were able to access the image of the area.
How can I get access to this image....I have tried typing in the address that you indicated in the prior message....but it comes up with message that the file doesn't exist.
I have come across another image, that I made, which shows the relationship of the PNRC, so called gite, with the U Renosa at the road-end above. I think that we agree that U Renosa is now a non functioning closed down place. Although despite being in the area on two occasions I have not ever been at the building.

--

Gaffr

Michele

Posted: Wed, Apr 11, 2012, 13:22

Roger,

I double checked my image url above and I don't have any problems in viewing the file (so it's probably on your side). However, I also uploaded it here:

http://netload.in/dateiLKvsRNEmyT/capannelle.jpg.htm

You can download it by going through the route of clicking the "continue with the free download", wait the counter to reach zero, enter the proposed security code, wait for some more seconds and finally clicking the "click here" link.

And yes, the U Renosu is closed down (too bad 'cause the camping ground is excellent).

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, Apr 11, 2012, 16:38

Hello Michele,
I think you are a bit like me.....if giving information you like it to be 'spot-on'. I think that I now have your missing link in the Capanelle saga!
I like your work done on my less than perfect image to illustrate the buildings in the area and I hope this can be of use to folks going into there.

Maybe your missing link LoL.

Again I can't get them to appear as a click to the web. But here it is in its raw form.

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/2002/refugeatcapanelle.hpim55.jpg[/IMG]

--

Gaffr

Michele

Posted: Thu, Apr 12, 2012, 6:22

Hello Roger,

Now it's my turn to say that your link above doesn't work :( Probably something wrong with imageshack.us.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear I've been helpful :)

--Michele

Gaffr

Posted: Thu, Apr 12, 2012, 8:23

Hello Michele,
I guess that the green roofed building was the the only one that you had some doubts about.
When I zoom in on my image it is labelled refuge de Capanelle above the door. It is a fine wee building but the surroundings are poorly supported.
I checked the 'labelling thing' for the image on the Image Shack site and it is the same one that I sent to you via 'corsica for hikers'. If you would like a copy of the image for your own records I could attach it to via an e mail. roger.gaff@btinternet.com
Many thanks for the tracking down of this confusion. LoL.

--

Gaffr

Michele

Posted: Thu, Apr 12, 2012, 10:43

Thanks Roger, I sent you an email :)

Manu

Posted: Sun, Apr 15, 2012, 9:55

Hello All,

A slight digression here: Is anyone having problems booking rental tent spaces via the PNRC site? The site allows me to progress Refuge Sleeping Spaces, and Camping Spaces, but NOT Rental Tent spaces. I keep getting the error message: 'Le nombre de places demandées ne correspond pas au nombre de randonneurs'.

Each time I ensure the 'Choisissez le nombre de personnes' equals the "Nbr location tente (2 places + matelas)'.... 5 people, 5 spaces, 5 names etc

I realise there are two spaces per tent, and I've tried different combo's of numbers (in case it registers whole tents rather than spaces), 'even' numbers as well....just keep getting the same error message.

I've also attempted this at different Refuge's (e.g. d'Ortu di u Piobbu, and Carrozzu) thinking it was a refuge-specific problem...no its the same for all refuges

( tried via Firefox, Chrome, and Safari...all the same frustrating result)

Help?

--

Manu

Michele

Posted: Sun, Apr 15, 2012, 13:24

Hi Manu,

You are correct. I tried this myself and it doesn't seem to work for me either. I suggest you drop them a line (in French possibly) by clicking the Contactez-nous link.
And please let us know how it went.

Thank you
--Michele

Manu

Posted: Sun, Apr 15, 2012, 20:05

Thanks for the prompt reply Michele,

I should have mentioned on my earlier post that I had sent a notification to the site (in French). Let's hope it is sorted soon. Thanks for verifying it wasn't just me.

Great short-movies by the way, a real inspiration...well done.

--

Manu

Michele

Posted: Mon, Apr 16, 2012, 6:36

Thanks for your appreciation, Manu :)

Gaffr

Posted: Mon, Apr 16, 2012, 7:42

Hello Michele,
I never received your e mail.....I just wanted to clear up any doubts, with an attached image, regarding one of the several buildings at Capanelle.
Many thanks for all your contributions. They do do keep this forum alive with very useful information.
I do try to interest folks here, in the North, to make a visit to the island but I think that folks are put off by the, for us, quite long travelling times and of course getting to the start of the route despite me saying that you have to adjust to the slower pace of life in the Mediterranean area. I guess that they also feel that getting from our offshore island to another island through Europe just eats too much into the time available for holidays. I may be wrong but I think that all of the direct flights are from the south of England.

--

Gaffr

Michele

Posted: Mon, Apr 16, 2012, 13:29

Hi Roger,

I just sent you (15:07 local time) a second email to the address you provided. Is it possible that my emails end up into the spam folder by mistake? I wondered why you had not replied. Thanks for clearing that out.

It quite surprises me what you're saying about your fellow nationals. I know the Brits to be very adventurous travelers, outdoors lovers and for never being put off by travel difficulties. Hell, wasn't Livingstone one of yours? ;))
But, I can well understand that, having a **very** tight schedule ... well that can be very offputting. Nevertheless - although I don't have the figures - from what I hear, still the number of people from the UK is relevant and certainly exceeds those coming from Italy :)

--Michele

Manu

Posted: Mon, Apr 16, 2012, 18:35

All, For info

I received a response from PNRC regarding my problems booking Rental Tents. It seems both the camping site and rental tent numbers need to be indicated: e.g. For 5 rented tent spaces, you need to book

Choisissez le nombre de personnes = 5
Couchage en bivouac = 5
Nbr location tente (2 places + matelas) = 5

Then the site booking works. Unfortunately the cost seems to ramp-up as well. For 5 tired Aussies here are the prices:

Refuge - €55
Camping (BYO Tents) - €30
Renta-Tent - €80 (€50 to rent the tents/night....€10/night/person to rent a tent...I suspect this has been covered in the Forum before, but does that seem a little steep? Are the Refuges that bad? Are the Tents owned by Ryanair?)

I reckon we'll carry our own. I'd appreciate your thoughts.

--

Manu

Michele

Posted: Mon, Apr 16, 2012, 21:53

Manu,

please correct me if I'm wrong. I was under the impression the cost of one tent for rent is 10 Euros (either if it's used by one or two people).

On the Park site, I simulated a reservation for 2 people who wish to sleep in the same park tent: please take a look at the pic.

(Broken link removed by moderator.)

The total was 22 Euros (i.e. €.6 per person + €.10 for the tent). What am I missing?

--Michele

Manu

Posted: Tue, Apr 17, 2012, 21:11

My apologies Michele (and fellow readers), you are of course correct. I hadn't tried other combinations (after getting the PNRC guidance, I jumped straight to 5 and 5, which is of course a whole tent per person).... resulting in a 'Forum Rush'.

Thanks Michele...much appreciated. Apologies again,

--

Manu