Hiking on Mare a Mare Nord

jerebp

Posted: Tue, Apr 17, 2012, 6:05

Hello!

I'm from Slovenia and I'm planing a trip from Mariani Plage to Cargese starting next Friday (27th of April). I took a look on some maps and found that there are two possibilities of walking from Corse to the west. One is pasing the Calacuccia lake and the other goes by Lac de Nino. If I'm right this one goes by the GR20 and joines the Mare A Mare again. Which one do you suggest? Which one is longest? If you have any other suggestions for this complete route please don't hesitate to answer. I'll be glad for all kind of informations.

Thank you for your answer, Primož!

--

Eppur si muove ;)

Gaffr

Posted: Tue, Apr 17, 2012, 7:03

Hello,
My wife and I travelled the Mare a Mare Nord a few years ago. We used a French GR guide to follow the route. We made the crossing of the GR20 at Col de Vergio after passing through Sega and Abertacci. From Sega refuge, would it be open at this time in April,? I think that it would possible to reach the area of Manganu and Lac Nino. Considerations would be the level of winter still around at this time of the year? and of course the unmanned refuges.
The alternative route given in the French guide would take the walker over the GR20 at L'Onda but going that way would mean missing out on the Tavignango valley up to Sega which is a special part of the island. I have not got a map to hand at the moment but I shall get a hold of one later to look at the Sega link to the higher ground! The route joins with the Mare e Monti route at Evisa which gives a pleasant finish down to the west coast at Cargese.

--

Gaffr

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, Apr 18, 2012, 7:48

Hello,...if you are still out there?
You asked about the M.M. Nord.

I had a look at my 1:25,000 map for that part of the island and it does show a path from Sega refuge leading up to Bergeries de Vaccaghia. I recall reaching this place on a warm sunday lunchtime while travelling South on the GR20....it was a pleasant experience but that was towards the end of June!
It is a short distance from the refuge, Southwards, of Manganu. The altitude at Vaccaghia is no higher than is the bocca a l'Arinella which we ascended to reach Albertacci from Sega. To reach Lac de Nino Turn NW from here (Vaccaghia) to continue on the (GR20) to the Ski place at Castellu di Vergio and link with the M.M.Nord down to the west coast.

--

Gaffr

Gaffr

Posted: Thu, Apr 19, 2012, 9:34

Apologies....'it is a short distance from the refuge Southwards of Manganu'.....this is not very clear!
Maybe....Manganu refuge is a short distance to the South of Vaccaghia....is clearer?

--

Gaffr

jerebp

Posted: Sun, Apr 22, 2012, 8:39

Hello!

Thanks for the info.... I'm planing this trip via Lac de Nino. I start packing things this weekend I'm leaving Slovenia on Thursday and if anything will be O.K. I'll be hiking on Friday allready. I also got the topo Map (paper version), but still searching for good free version of topo for Garmin GPS. I hardly wait end of the week.... I'll post some photos and gps track when I come back.

Thanks for the suggestions and have a nice time...

--

Eppur si muove ;)

jerebp

Posted: Thu, May 17, 2012, 18:37

Hello!

I'm back from Corse for a log time now. Because I was a bit ill and did't have a lot of time to do the Mare a Mare Nord I decided to do the Mare a Mare Sud. Trip was wonderful :) You can find a few photos here.

Bye, Primož!

Eppur si muove ;)

--

Eppur si muove ;)

Gaffr

Posted: Thu, May 17, 2012, 20:07

You probably had the best of the sunshine down in the south. We made a journey which took us from Calinzana to Porto vecchio linking the Mare e Monti, Mare a Monti sud and the Mare a Mare sud a couple of years after doing the 'other long route from Calinzana to Conca and then to Port Vecchio'.
Your images of the MM sud brought back some fine memories.....so many.... We did the route from West to East ....the eclectic gite at Cartolonouvu, the ancient human site above Levie, the spire at Carbini, the Little welcoming gite in the most Northerly part at Jallicu with pigs and ponies in great numbers, our only camp with our tent was at Serra di Scopamene ( there is a camping municipal a kilometre above where the gite is ) and chenille processionaire....hope you didn't touch this linked up group..I was told by French folks that they were very toxic!..but all that we ever saw were the nests hanging from the branches in the pine trees! Corsica is like that so whatever route you do around every corner there is heaps of interest. And poignently the reminders of the great numbers of Corsican young men who left the island to go to France for the WW1 never to return. There was one close to the gite at Serra?, looking out to the Bavella towers, where it was obvious that eight members of one family were remembered on the stone....maybe they were brothers.

--

Gaffr