Food supplies and camping

boris

Posted: Fri, May 4, 2012, 17:07

Hey guys!
I'm planning to start the GR20 at the beggining of June. I'm going alone and I'm planning to camp the whole way and prepare my own food.
I have a couple of questions:
1. For how many days should I pack food? At what stages can I buy food supplies?
2. Where can I buy alcohol for burning? should I bring enough for the whole trek? If so, how much?
3. does all the gites/refuges have gas stoves for campers? can I rely on them?

Gaffr

Posted: Mon, May 7, 2012, 6:48

Hello,

Maybe I pressed the wrong button a couple of days ago....my reply did not reach the site.
We packed enough food for three days. Don't over-do it remember that you have, on the first day the greatest height gain to make around 1,600 mtrs!
We purchased food at Haut Ascu, col de Viergo, at Tolla bergeries, at Vizzavona, at Capanelle and at Bavella shop. These are not the only place where food can be bought. We camped during the entire traverse....apart from the dortoir at Vizzavona.
Don't know about alcohol ( methylated spirits? ) we used like most other folks the camping gas for our small stove.
We used the camping area provided gas/stove a couple of times when we were low on gas. There are provided gas/stoves at several places during the journey. For the blue stove which we could purchase extra cans at a few places en route... e.g. Haut Ascu and at Vizzavona.

--

Gaffr