Call for all GR20 veterans: List of food resupply points: please correct and fill in the blanks

Michele

Posted: Mon, May 7, 2012, 8:51

I decided to start this thread because I believe it is useful to have an updated list of **confirmed** resupply points along the trail (I'm not talking about serving meals on place), and since I don't know them all because at the time I didn't look into it, I ask your help to correct and fill in the blanks. So here is what I know:

GR20 NORTH
-- Ortu du Piobbu: snacks only (??)
-- Carrozzu: snacks only (??)
-- Haut Asco: from fresh bread to all sorts of supplies.
-- Tighjettu: all sorts of supplies
-- Bergerie de Ballone: fresh bread and snacks only (??)
-- Ciottulu de' Mori: unknown
-- Castel de Verghio: from fresh bread to all sorts of supplies.
-- Manganu: snacks and bread only (??)
-- Pietrapiana: from fresh bread to all sorts of supplies.
-- Onda: unknown
-- Vizzavona: from fresh bread to all sorts of supplies (including gas canisters, tablets to treat water etc.)

GR20 SOUTH
-- Capannelle: fresh bread, sausages and ... (??)
-- Col de Verde: unknown
-- Prati: fresh bread and ... (??)
-- Usciolu: from fresh bread to all sorts of supplies
-- Matalza (new entry): unknown
-- Asinau: fresh bread ... maybe ... (??)
-- Col de Bavella: from fresh bread to all sorts of supplies.
-- Paliri: fresh bread (??) and ... (??)
-- Conca: plenty of food

Thanks for your help.

--Michele

Gaffr

Posted: Thu, May 5, 2016, 6:35

Hello, I'll do my best with the refuge info. Like yourself I didn't go inside all of the refuges apart from just paying for the camping in many of them.

Ortu du Piobbu.....Marif had coffee and a snack the second time we arrived to Ortu, on a very wet and cold afternoon, while I put up the tent. The first time here in 2007 was in warm sunshine.

Carozzu.....I recall folks sitting on the small terrace here with drinks etc.

Haut Ascu....as you say all types of supplies available.

Tighjettu......I recall seeing a large amount of tins of food....from the hatch while paying the camp fees.

Bergerie de Ballone.....we had an early morning coffee here after camping at Tighjettu.

Ciottulu di I Mori......we had a lunchtime bowl of soup here before descending to Col di Vergio.

Castel di Vergio....all sorts of supplies as you say. I kindof shop inside the hotel.
In 2013 the well stocked shop was now beside the Refuge which is the area behind the fenced off camping area.

Bergeries de Vaccaghja.....a bit of lunch here in 2007 and breakfast here in 2013.

Manganu......apart from paying for the camping didn't have anything else here.

Petra Piana......we had a bowl of Cosican soup here similar to Mori.

Tolla bergeries.....we went down to here, on recommendation, glad that we did. This was an old stone building (several) similar to a scottish blackhouse where some supplies were sold...especially the Coppa meat.

l'Onda.......has the bergerie and the nearby refuge. We camped inside the fence at the bergerie. Not sure if the refuge has food? The bergerie has snacks. Not sure about food for sale though but they seemed to be the sort of folks that 'wouldn't see you go without'.

Vizzavona....as you say everything available here....even a train to Ajaccio or to Corte!

Capanelle.....a shop with some supplies inside the entrance to the restaurant.

Col de Verde....restaurant maybe even an auberge? which serves folks in cars, it's a through road from Cozzanu over to the east?, and walkers on the GR20. We camped here below the auberge. Not sure if they sell supplies though. In 2013 some supplies were available inside the restaurant area.

Prati.....at Prati we had an early morning coffee and biscuits before moving onto the crete to Usciolu.

Usciolu.....didn't make a purchase here apart from a cold drink and snack on arrival.

Bergeries Bassetta...off the main trail..didn't reach this but some folks split the walk-stage here.

Matalza.....didn't go to this refuge.

Croci bergeries ...a new venture in 2013..I camped here overnight...good food available.

Asinau.....very busy here so kept away and cooked.

Bergeries Asinau...I went down to have a look in 2007...very busy with pre-booked folks. No camping here.

Col de Bavella.....good supplies from the shop down into the village opposite the well-known auberge.

Paliri.....apart from paying the camping fees we had plenty of supplies from Bavella so very contented in this spendid camp.

Conca......the bar GR20 where I was able to get some tobacco for my pipe and some pastis, ice and water, while Marif went down to the gite? and camping, lower down in the village, to order up a pleasant lunch.

I hope that this will help.

--

Gaffr

Jennka

Posted: Mon, May 7, 2012, 15:17

Here is what I remember from 2010: (I went south-north)

Paliri: all we bought was beer, we had enough supplies from Porto Vecchio/Conca
Bavella: a small shop offered al lot of supplies... anything BUT bread!
Asinao: bread for sure, I don't recall if they had more
Usciolu: fresh bread and a large offer supplies
Col de Verde: the restaurant sells bread, canned tuna, dried fruits...
Capannelle: bread, some cans, charcuterie, cheese??
Vizzavona: all mentioned above AND fresh eggs!
Onda: only after al little pushing&whining they sold us a small piece of (old) bread. I'm pretty sure the have cheese and charcuterie, considering it's a bergerie.
Petra Piana: pasta, sauce, tuna, pate, bread (sandwich bread in a plastic bag)
Manganu: bread, charcuterie, toilet paper! :-)
Vergio: it's like a small supermarket, including fresh fruits and bread
Tighjettu: diversity of cans, snacks
Ascu Stagnu: has everything you need
Carrozu: snacks, and the gardienne made us pancakes to take away, for lunch...
Ortu di u Piobbu: sandwiches with LOTS of cheese/charcuterie to take with you

Michele

Posted: Mon, May 7, 2012, 18:36

Thank you Roger and Jennka. I'm sure prospective hikers will find this info very useful.

--Michele

Gaffr

Posted: Tue, May 8, 2012, 9:40

Thank you too Jennka....I still may make a return visit to the route in my seventies :)
Your list is very comprehensive and would be helpful to the folks going to GR20 in the future. I guess on account of the 'lots of people' around the refuges I didn't on many occasions have much contact with what was available there. We tent people, the true travelling folks, seemed to live separate lives. Although I must admit that Marif, being French, had lots of contacts and meetings on the various terraces with her fellow country folks.....they are a gregarious lot not like we Scots a bit shy and retiring!

--

Gaffr

Joanna

Posted: Tue, May 8, 2012, 12:26

Michele, while googling your question on the other thread about Bergeries Pozzi, I discovered that you can buy cheese from the shephard there. So I guess the place should be mentioned in your list of supply points.

Michele

Posted: Tue, May 8, 2012, 18:18

Thanks Joanna. I'll revise the list on the opening post.

Michele

Posted: Tue, May 8, 2012, 21:07

A little update from the first post (which I could not edit):

GR20 NORTH
-- Ortu du Piobbu: snacks and sandwiches with cheese/charcuterie
-- Carrozzu: snacks, pancakes to take away (on request)
-- Haut Asco: from fresh bread to all sorts of supplies.
-- Tighjettu: all sorts of supplies
-- Bergerie de Ballone: fresh bread and snacks only (??)
-- Ciottulu de' Mori: unknown
-- Castel de Verghio: from fresh bread to all sorts of supplies.
-- Manganu: snacks, charcuterie, toilet paper
-- Pietrapiana: from fresh bread to all sorts of supplies.
-- Onda: cheese (probably)
-- Vizzavona: from fresh bread to all sorts of supplies (including gas canisters, tablets to treat water etc.)

GR20 SOUTH
-- Capannelle: fresh bread, sausages and beverages
------ Bergeries de I Pozzi: cheese
-- Col de Verde: beverages at the bar, unknown about other supplies
-- Prati: fresh bread and snacks (?)
-- Usciolu: from fresh bread to all sorts of supplies
-- Matalza (new entry): still unknown
-- Asinau: fresh bread
-- Col de Bavella: from fresh bread to all sorts of supplies.
-- Paliri: fresh bread

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, Mar 26, 2014, 17:39

Hello,
Just wee update to my findings in 2007 and 2008. Last year 2013 (S-N) I found that the shop in Bavella was closed and appeared to be empty.

I made a point this time of visiting the new camping/bergerie at Croci which has very hot showers, good food on offer and was quiet and there is an easy link back to the old trail at the old Cavallara bergeries.

I didn't go down to Tolla this time you miss out on this if you travel by the very fine Crete route....I had heard that is was not operating at this time but may have opened later in the season?

At Col de Verde they did have things for sale in the cafe/restaurant...I bought a couple of packs of dried apricots.

At the bergeries Vaccaghja I bought some bread, cheese and pork for a reasonable lunch later in the stage.

At Castel di Vergio the shop is now in part of the Hostel/camping area i.e. inside the gated fenced area.

The rest is as has been documented above.

--

Gaffr

Turnertactics

Posted: Thu, Mar 27, 2014, 8:42

Thanks for the new thread, Michele. I’ve got a few bits to add from 2013:

Paliri: There was a selection of items in the Guardians ‘kiosk’ but I can’t remember exactly what.

Bavella: When we visited the shop in Bavella at about lunchtime, they did have bread. They also had fresh fruit and vegetables such as tomatoes and plenty of pasta, rice etc. It’s a pretty well stocked shop.

Asinau: Quite a lot available behind the Guardian’s hatch but again I don’t know exactly what.
Usciolu: The cabin where the guardian hangs out was an Alladin’s cave of goodies. Dried fruit, pate, pasta, sauces, cheese, dried meats, assorted tinned goods, biscuits, cereal bars, bread (long life stuff) etc.

Col de Verde: Just dried fruit, nuts, chocolate etc on the counter.

Vizzavona: There is a general stores room at the back of the ‘Corsican specialities’ shop with almost everything you might need including coffee, tea bags and gas canisters.

L’Onda: They had an impressive menu of food and drinks. I took a photo of the drinks menu but not the food so I can’t help much there.

Petra Piana: This is what their menu board said: Pain de mie (long-life bread), Canistrelli E5, Cake, Galettes Bretonnes E2.9, Sardines E2.5, Barres aux cereals E4.5, Pate de champagne E2, Thon tomate E2.5, Soupe en sachet E2.5, Sauce bolognaise E2.5, Saucisson, Cassoulet/Lentils E5, Spaghetti E2.5 – E1.5, Barres chocolates E1, Papier toilette E1, Biere Pietra 50cl E5, Coca Cola E3.5, Orangina E3.5, Cafe – Chocolate E2.5, Infusion/the E2, Vin de Pays – rouge (le litre) E7, Bierre Serona E3.5, Toothpaste E2.5, Brusse a dents E3, Tampons E1, Portion fromage E7, Assiette charcuterie & fromage E10

--

Alan