bivouac?

Tick

Posted: Mon, May 21, 2012, 15:35

When making PRNC reservations there is a choice for "couchage en bivouac"

I selected this a few times when setting my itinerary because beds and tents were sold out.

Does anyone know if the bivouac sites are protected with a roof (as "shelters" are on Appalachian Trail)? I was hoping to avoid taking my tent, and using my 20F sleeping bag only, since I have only 3 nights of bivouac on trail.

thanks for your help!
Evan

--

Evan Tick

Michele

Posted: Mon, May 21, 2012, 18:14

Sorry Evan, but it's all open space (no roof). And there are no predetermined pitches either.

Liviu

Posted: Tue, May 29, 2012, 20:04

I this case if rain occurs what can we do?

Thanks,
Liviu

Joanna

Posted: Wed, May 30, 2012, 5:29

You need a tent. Not only because of the rain (it probably won't rain at all, if you plan to go during the summer, Corsica is very dry) but because of a) other people, b) cows c) piglets d) asses d) mules e) dogs, all of them wandering freely around the camping pitches. Although I did see one person sleeping without a tent, everybody else has tents. With modern tents being so light-weight, it won't be the tent that will create the most of your bulk anyway, so why not take it?

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, May 30, 2012, 8:17

Very accurate reply J.....I had a chuckle at this one....add goats and sheep at one camp. After-all it is the island of the transhumance. At both Col de Verghio and l'Onda it is possible get some respite from being trampled by herds of animals by camping inside the fenced off areas :-) It all adds to the rich variety of a journey through Corse.

--

Gaffr

Joanna

Posted: Wed, May 30, 2012, 8:56

Well, some piglets are tiny enough to crawl under the fence, as they did in l'Onda while we were there :-)

hotelmedicis

Posted: Thu, May 31, 2012, 13:45

Joanna is right, you need a tent. Spend as much as you can for a lightweight, strong singleperson tent, you can find some in the 800g region and you won't regret it. You should be OK with a 20F sleeping bag. I took my -9C/15F and I didn't regret it.

Joanna

Posted: Fri, Jun 1, 2012, 5:21

Oh, now I know what a 20F is, hehe
Well, in fact you can even have a lighter one if you own it. Last time I hiked the GR20, in early June 2010, I had a summer sleeping bag that does not "go" under 0C, and spent half of my nights sleeping on top of it, instead of in it.

hotelmedicis

Posted: Thu, Jun 28, 2012, 20:14

Joanna you're right, I spent many nights on top of my bag and not in it. I'm thinking of doing the route again in early august and I might leave my 1.1 kg bag (-9C/+15F Marmot Helium) at home and take a summer bag (+6C/+42F) which weights only 440g - maybe bring a silk liner along just in case. Go light!