Current weather & climate

Bert

Posted: Mon, May 21, 2012, 19:55

Hi guys,

A friend and I are starting the GR20 on June 7th. Does anyone have a clue about the current conditions on the trail? Was it a harsh winter, is there a lot of snow left on the mountains?

I checked the PNRC website, but they only have a link to the météo, which of course says nothing about the state of the terrain on the peaks.

Thanks in advance!

Bert

Michele

Posted: Mon, May 21, 2012, 22:46

Bert,

Please take a look at the official blog:

http://randoblogpnrc.blogspot.it/

As of May 10 the whole GR20 south is free from snow, but there is still some on the northern part. .... ah and bedbugs have returned (well, well well, what do you know).

Bert

Posted: Tue, May 22, 2012, 4:51

Aah, thanks Michele! That's the information I was looking for. We'll see how the situation evolves, for now I'm not too worried yet seeing as we will only reach the higher parts of Corsica in about 18 days.

(And we're bringing a tent, so the bed bugs won't bother us ;) )

By the way: I've been lurking on this forum and it helped me a bunch. I will make sure to make a list of where I can get which supplies to help your list. If there's anything else you'd like an update on (like maybe the state of the campsite around the old Refuge d'Altore, on which there was some discussion?), just let me know! :)

Michele

Posted: Tue, May 22, 2012, 6:25

Thanks Bert,

If you happen to carry a gps unit, I'd like to get accurate coordinates of the water spring near the old Refuge d'Altore.
Also if you could report back about the (possible) progress in the construction of toilet & shower's blocks around the campsites, I'd appreciate (I do hope they won't just stop after having built the new constructions of Ortu du Piobbu and Carrozzu).
I also know they are building "something" at the Castel de Verghio campsite, but not sure what.

Basically any update on the state of the trail would be very helpful for our community.

Thank you

--Michele

Joanna

Posted: Wed, May 23, 2012, 6:25

You can go to this page:
http://france.meteofrance.com/france/montagne

Then click on "hauter de neige hors piste" and follow the instructions, and it will show you how much snow is left in the mountains.

Bert

Posted: Thu, May 24, 2012, 19:20

Alright Michele, I'll bring my notebook and I'll report back to the message board!

Joanna, thanks for the link, I'll keep it in mind. For now it reports 10-20cm on the higher regions of the trail, so I hope it will melt soon :)

plasmation

Posted: Mon, May 28, 2012, 12:01

Hi, I am also starting the gr20 in early June (south to north). I searched this forum for some info on thunderstorms, but did not find much info. Are they common in June? Are they a big threat statistically? Are only the highest peaks affected, or anywhere on the track?

Bart

--

plasmation.net/Trekking/Corsica-GR20/

Michele

Posted: Mon, May 28, 2012, 13:37

Bart,

Unfortunately I don't have a satisfactory reply to your question, because I don't have any weather maps regarding this. I also was lucky enough not to run into any thunderstorm while being there. (In general thunderstorm become more frequent in August, but don't quote me on that). However the "gardiens" at every hut are daily informed about the weather forecast (known as "meteos") for the following day so you can use your best judgement on what to do.
Be aware, though, that even if you're not going to walk on the highest peaks, the nature of the terrain is such (long granite slabs, rocks etc.) that in some places is definitely not advisable to get caught by a thunderstorm or even a downpour (the Spasimata valley - between Haut Asco and Carrozzu in the south-north direction - is one of them, but also the obvious Cirque de la Solitude you'll walk the previous day).

--Michele