Hut and Trail Conditions June 2012?

Bruce S

Posted: Sat, May 26, 2012, 15:24

HUTS - I and 3 friends are starting the northern section of the trail from Calenzana on June 4th 2012. Just 9 days to go! We have already booked accommodation inside the refuges. A recent comment from Michele has alerted us to a return of bedbugs to some huts. Yuk!! Have you, Michele, or anyone else got any specific info on which huts have this problem. I'm urgently having a rethink on gear and considering taking my tent.

TRAIL- Has anyone got up to date info on the post winter trail conditions and, in particular, are all sections passable with regard to snow.

Thanks

Bruce

--

Bruce

Michele

Posted: Sat, May 26, 2012, 15:48

Hi Bruce,

Unfortunately I don't have a specific list of the affected refuges (and the PNRC blog http://randoblogpnrc.blogspot.it/ talks in general about a return of bedbugs in the huts). However from what I personally know, Carrozzu and Tighjettu were surely affected (but I'm pretty sure this issue is certainly not limited to such places only).

So the idea of taking a tent is not a bad one.

Regarding the second question, again from the blog above we learned that the southern section is free from snow, while you will surely find some (but that's an assumption) in the northern section (most likely around the Cirque de la Solitude and probably the breche de Capitellu).

The best thing to do is to ask directly to the "Blog officiel du Parc Naturel Régional de Corse":

equipemontagne@parc-corse.org

possibly in French or you will get a googletranslated reply.

--Michele

Bruce S

Posted: Sat, May 26, 2012, 17:38

Many thanks for your speed reply Michele. I'll contact the PNRC as you suggest.
I have a tent (Hilleberg Akto) which requires pegging out. I imagine that the tent pitches are on rock or very hard ground. Did you find that pegging out was a particular problem?
I may have to invest in some superstrengh ones?

We have watched your video by the way which was excellent.
Thanks
Bruce

--

Bruce

Mette

Posted: Sun, May 27, 2012, 11:37

Hi Bruce,

If you recieve an answer from PNRC would you mind giving a short summery of their answer here? My friend and I are planning to start the northern section around June 7 th, and we are looking for the same information about trail conditions.

Thanks in advance.

Regards Mette.

Michele

Posted: Sun, May 27, 2012, 13:00

Bruce,

Now that you mention it, yes, very often (but not always) we found hard ground (the Vizzavona campsite for instance is one of them). We still managed to get by with the stock light pegs (aluminum nail-type with the hook on the top). It would certainly help to have strong pegs but that's not a must and weight in this trek is key, so, it's really up to you. Take along some strings instead: they can prove very useful to help anchor the tent to the stones around, should that be necessary.

PS
Thanks for the appreciation of my video(s) :) I hope you found them helpful.

--Michele

Michele

Posted: Sun, May 27, 2012, 15:37

PPS

Bruce,
From the official blog a post dated 26 May reports that there are only a few snowfields (around the Cirque de la Solitude and Bocca Muzzella) whose crossings should pose no problems. So there you go.

The huts are open, staffed and supplied (with food and bedbugs :) ).

The season 2012 has begun. Way to go.

--Michele

Bert

Posted: Sun, May 27, 2012, 20:03

Joanna suggested an interesting website for following the amount of snow on the high mountains of Corsica in a different thread:
http://france.meteofrance.com/france/montagne
It's not updated every day and I don't know how accurate it is, but at least the bulk of the snow seems to have disappeared. And in any case there's still 10 days of possible melting to go ;)

I'm starting the trail with a friend on June 7 as well... Maybe we'll run into each other somewhere along the trail! :)

Gaffr

Posted: Mon, May 28, 2012, 6:29

Hello,
I would concur with Michele regarding the use of string extensions to combat the lack of ground where tent pegs would useful....perhaps the only solution?....I personally don't like mangling? my tent pegs. I was reminded of these at the weekend when using my tent in Skye. Some of the 'strings' are still in place. I had some paracord stuff with me in Corse and cut it into useful lengths to attach to the metal rings independent of the rubber loops and simply rolled the stone up the string towards the normal pegging point....no knots needed....seems fine....especially at Capanelle where we couldn't get one peg into the ground. Useful for the odd pegging point at several other camping places.

--

Gaffr

Bruce S

Posted: Mon, May 28, 2012, 10:37

To all correspondents
Many thanks for your comments.
Mette, I contacted PNRC and got the information on snow conditions that Michele has already posted. It shouldn't be a problem.
The bug problem has upset our plans to go lightweight and our team members are now each taking either a tent or a bivi bag.
Thanks for your comments re pegging out Michele and Gaffr - the string and stones idea is a good one.
May see some of you on the trail (Mette / Bert)
Bon Voyage
Bruce

--

Bruce