Thunderstorms

plasmation

Posted: Mon, May 28, 2012, 12:22

Hi, I am starting the gr20 in early June (south to north). I searched this forum for some info on thunderstorms, but did not find much info. Are they common in June? Are they a big threat statistically? Are only the highest peaks affected, or anywhere on the track?

Bart

--

plasmation.net/Trekking/Corsica-GR20/

Gaffr

Posted: Mon, May 28, 2012, 15:21

Hello,
We have been to the GR20 twice in June with once running into July. Maybe we were very lucky and didn't experience any thunder on the GR although the second time travelling on the first stage from Calinzana we had persistent rain and it was quite cool air along with the rain. Just checking dates in the route book that we used during a journey from Calenzana down to Porto Vecchia travelling by way of Mare e Monti Nord, M Monte Sud and MM Sud in 2009....we had heavy rain for two days at the camping in Evisa accompanied with thunder from the Mountains....the dates were 28-29th of May. After reaching Porto Vecchio on the 12th of June we got off the Bastia bus at Moriani to spend a few days there at the sea. During that time for around two days there was rain and big rumbles coming from the mountains. So in conclusion from, what we know, it is not impossible to get rain and rumbles in June....I guess that when we went to the high route we were fortunate. I can see that on a tight schedule, time wise, it could be a problem if you were held up at any stage.

--

Gaffr