With Dog?!

Firemadster

Posted: Thu, May 31, 2012, 13:24

Hello everyone,

I am looking into walking the GR20 with a friend and with my dog in the first two weeks of July and would appreciate any information about whether this is a sensible idea and what I might need to prepare.

For example,

-are there any bits of the trail that are really too difficult for a dog (he was born and grew up in mountains and is very nimble at climbing)?

-will it be a trouble to find places to eat and sleep when i have a dog with me (I presume I will need to take a tent)?

-Will it be an issue to find water for him along the trail (he is not a very thirsty dog but I imagine that it will be very hot in July so some water will be essential)?

-Does anyone know if it is ok to take him on the ferries from France and to Italy, and on other transport on the island?

Anything else You can think of?!

Thanks very much for Your help
x
Maddy (Human) & Fionn (Dog)

Bert

Posted: Thu, May 31, 2012, 17:39

Hi Maddy

This guy wrote a report on his GR20 with his dog (seems to have been just fine, though obviously it did take some effort):
http://www.berglucht.be/Ora_bergen/CorsicaGR20.htm

It's in Dutch, but there's loads of pictures that might give you an idea... And then of course there's Google Translate.

Send me a PM if you need any specific parts translated :)

Kind regards,
Bert

Firemadster

Posted: Thu, May 31, 2012, 21:26

Thanks SO much Bert :D

I will check it out now!
xx

Maddy

Firemadster

Posted: Thu, May 31, 2012, 21:30

(I notice that the dog is wearing a harness for some bits of the trail - that is interesting to note! Am also wondering what those little red shoes are about!?)

Joanna

Posted: Fri, Jun 1, 2012, 5:29

The only part that would be a challenge is the Cirque de solitude. I've read that you need to have a harness and a rope to lower the dog through some parts there. Also, here is the official information from the Parc Corse web page:
Si les chiens sont admis sur le territoire du Parc, ils n'ont pas accès aux refuges et doivent être tenus en laisse aux abords des bergeries et des troupeaux.

(Even is the dogs are permitted into the park, they have no access to the refuges and should be kept on leash around bergeries and herds).

Good luck, we might actually meet on the trail :-)

Michele

Posted: Fri, Jun 1, 2012, 6:20

Firemadster,

From googletranslating the related section, apparently the terrain was to hard for the poor animal that was wearing down her paw soles. So they had to improvise some sort of shoes. No comment.

dinny

Posted: Fri, Jun 1, 2012, 7:17

Hey Michele, I love the idea of improvised dog shoes - how resorceful! Red shoes too - sounds like it was on its way to meet the Wizard of Oz!

Maddy and Fionn, I saw a French dog taking a couple of young guys on the trail 3 years back. It was wearing a harness with a loop on the top, and they had a length of rope with them, I guess to keep the dog safe on tricky sections. I believe they were wild camping for the whole trip. I saw another dog at the penultimate refuge going South, but as it used the very place I was going to put my bed mat as a toilet, I won't mention that one!

Dinny

Joanna

Posted: Fri, Jun 1, 2012, 7:29

How about getting the shoes the huskies use when they pull a sledge on snow? But won't wearing shoes make the scrambling parts more difficult for the dog, as he/she won't actually feel the ground so well?

Firemadster

Posted: Fri, Jun 1, 2012, 19:32

Thanks everyone! :D all very helpful! (and I Love the way You put it Dinny!)

Fionn does have a harness but I don't feel 100% enough trusting in it - I will start to do some tests on it perhaps!

Whatever way it will be a great adventure :)

hope to meet You on the trail Joanna!
x
Maddy & Fionn

Firemadster

Posted: Fri, Jun 8, 2012, 11:00

Hello Again Everyone :D

I know that Dogs are not allowed in the Refuges, but does anyone know if they are allowed in the tents that You can rent from the Refuge?

And any other dog thoughts gratefully received!

Thanks!

xx
Maddy (human) & Fionn (dog)

Michele

Posted: Fri, Jun 8, 2012, 18:32

Maddy,

I don't think that Dogs are allowed in the park tents. Which is only fair. There are people who suffer from allergies derived from animal fur and such. And it is only a matter of respect towards the next hiker who will sleep there.
No offense. I'm pretty sure your pet is the cleanest animal in the world.

--Michele

dinny

Posted: Tue, Jun 12, 2012, 8:55

Hi Fionn,
There are some suitable looking harnesses on 4activedogs website (why am I looking up harnesses for a strange dog when I've got lots to do?!!!) Make sure Lisa gets you something really trustworthy - she wouldn't want to lose you!
Happy hiking,
Dinny

WilliaPool868

Posted: Thu, Aug 2, 2012, 13:50

Dinny
Maddy and Fionn, I saw a French dog taking a couple of young guys on the trail 3 years back. It was wearing a harness with a loop on the top, and they had a length of rope with them, I guess to keep the dog safe on tricky sections. I believe they were wild camping for the whole trip. I saw another dog at the penultimate refuge going South, but as it used the very place I was going to put my bed mat as a toilet, I won’t mention that one!
Hey Michele, I love the idea of improvised dog shoes – how resorceful! Red shoes too – sounds like it was on its way to meet the Wizard of Oz!