Stages to avoid in bad weather

plasmation

Posted: Tue, Jun 5, 2012, 8:19

Hello, we start in a couple of days on a tight schedule (14-15 days). Which stages should we absolutely avoid in case of bad weather? Are there any, I mean if you are really careful..?

I noted down that stages that could be doubled include 8+9, 10+11 or 14+15 (old numbering, not the 16stage route). Could these be doubled both ways (we are going S-N)?

--

plasmation.net/Trekking/Corsica-GR20/

Joanna

Posted: Tue, Jun 5, 2012, 15:50

Stage three - if wet, Spasimata Slabs are dangerous. The gardien at the refuge monitors the weather and informs the trekkers in case of danger. Unfortunatelly, there is no alternative route for day three, so one has to wait until the weather gets better.

Michele

Posted: Tue, Jun 5, 2012, 19:11

Plasmation,

I wouldn't overlook the obvious Cirque de la Solitude (stage 4 in the North-South direction) and more in general all the high level routes and also areas with extensive granite slabs.

I know that the request was about "specific" stages. My suggestion is to ask the gardien's advice every day at the hut you are at.

--Michele

Gaffr

Posted: Tue, Jun 5, 2012, 20:00

Off the top of my head all of the terrain is above 900 metres....I guess that Vizzavona at this height is the lowest camp on the trip. Again off the top, there are several stages where you can walk at the lower level...between Petra Piana and l'Onda by going down to the Tolla Bergeries to stay off the crete, the normal route from Capanelle to Col de verde is the lower option here rather than M Renosa and you don't have to go onto the alpine variant to reach Bavella. I may have missed out some. We allowed three weeks for the trip in case we ran into bad weather.....it did not happen....so we had a day down in Ajaccio using the train from Vizzavona and of course this allowed for sometime at the finish to camp near the mer. There are quite a number of stages when you are traversing along the summit ridges where lightning would be a worry. Also several places not far from the GR route where it is possible to reach without too much difficulty. Roads reach the high ground at Ascu, at col di Vergio, at Vizzavona, at Capanelle, at col de Verde and at Bavella and several mule tracks on both sides of the range......must have missed out on some! If you can't, on account of bad weather, complete the traverse it can be a good excuse to come back again.

--

Gaffr

LisaSusan

Posted: Thu, Jun 7, 2012, 8:11

Lisa
Hi we are walking south to north, so as far as the Spasimata slabs are concerned will we be able to find out their condition from the other side, are they monitored for people walking S to N
Thanks

--

Lisa

Michele

Posted: Thu, Jun 7, 2012, 8:48

Lisa,

It's not a matter of being monitored. Just make sure the weather forecast is ok before you start walking the Haute Asco-Carrozzu stage (the gardien has the daily update). Remember you'll be walking the Spasimata slabs later in the day, so if rainstorms are expected in the afternoon it's better to wait for the next day.

--Michele

Gaffr

Posted: Thu, Jun 7, 2012, 9:54

Maybe? the folks at the refuge in Haut Ascu have some means of communicating with the Carozzu refuge folks. Those ascending from Carozzu, if there are any, :-) will give you the latest news.

--

Gaffr

DrGT

Posted: Sat, Jun 9, 2012, 10:05

I posted my account of the Carozzu-Tighjettu double stage (via the old course) in cold tempatures, pouring rain and mist in late September here: http://corsica.forhikers.com/forum/p/5992
and would avoid any stages with a lot of bare rocks in rain.

Not just because the rocks get slippery when wet, but because small streams, which you can easily jump over in dry conditions, can suddenly become waist deep with fast running water effectively preventing you to continue. This can happen in just a few hours with heavy rainfall as there is no soil to take care of the rain water. Also, the water rushing down the mountainside will also disengage various-sized stones. Such stones we experienced when climbing up from the bottom of the Cirque to Bocca Minuta as above the ladder and the chains there are a lot of loose stones until you reach Bocca Minuta.

The recommendations by Michele and Gaffr are spot on!

Take care and have a good trek!