Accomodation in Calenzana

Gerryc

Posted: Mon, Jun 11, 2012, 12:36

Hi All

I am starting the GR20 on my own on Tues 19th June. I have all my accomodation booked which is a mixture of Refuges and bivvi. I am a fairly slow walker but good stamina so hopefully will meet people with similar pace along the way.
I tried booking accomodation at the Gite and hotel (Bell Horizon) in Calinzana for Mon 18th June with no success (All full). does anybody know of other accomodation in the town. i am stayimg in Calvi on Sunday night would I be better off to stay there mon. night as well and get a taxi out tues Morning early? I hope to be at trail start at 6.30am.
From looking at the forum, which I say is most informative, I gather there is no need for detailed maps as the trails are very well marked.
Anybody else starting on 19th?

Regards

Gerryc

--

Gerryc

Michele

Posted: Mon, Jun 11, 2012, 14:24

Gerry,

When you mentioned the word bivvy I assume you meant the park tents, correct? Because if you carry your own bivvy, I know there is plenty of space at the Gite d'Etape in Calenzana (or even in the campground almost opposite the gite and used as an improvised parking lot).

Anyway in Calenzana there is also the Hotel Monte Grosso ph. 04 95 62 70 15

Should everything else fail, you're better off to stay in Calvi one more night and grab a taxi early in the morning.

... and yes, you don't need any map.

--Michele

Gerryc

Posted: Wed, Jun 13, 2012, 19:46

Gerryc

Thanks Michele.
The hotel Monte Grosso appears to be closed no reply from phone.
Im carrying A Bivvy bag for those nights I cant gat accomodation in the Refuges. (About 5 in total were full when I went to book). I would like to get a good night sleep before I start the treck.
Would I have any problem getting a taxi from Calvi to Calenzana about 6am tuesday morning?
Any news on weather on the mountains at the moment?

Cheers

Gerry

--

Gerryc

Michele

Posted: Thu, Jun 14, 2012, 6:19

Gerry,

Have you considered using your bivvy bag in the Gite d'Etape of Calenzana? I cannot believe you won't find a tiny space for your bag!!! I'm sure all the other GR20 veterans will confirm this.

Anyway if you still want to sleep in Calvi till your starting date, you have to check with the taxi drivers at the Calvi railway station. I'm sure there won't be any problems finding an arrangement.

The Corsica weather forecast is here:

http://france.meteofrance.com/france/montagne?MONTAGNE_PORTLET.path=mont...

--Michele