Monte Cinto

GBpaul

Posted: Mon, May 5, 2008, 18:46

Does anyone know if it is possible to climb Monte Cinto from Lozzi and then go on to Haut Asco?

Was thinking this would make a good way of doing a round trip of a few stages...eg Lozzi - Haut Asco via Cinto, then do the GR20 to Refuge de la Sega in the Tavignano valley before heading back to Lozzi.

Any advice/pointers in the right direction/knowledge is appreciated.

Fiona Mack

Posted: Tue, Mar 11, 2014, 14:30

Resurrecting this old post to continue the question of climbing Monte Cinto from Lozzi.

We did the north section of the GR20 last year and this year would like to take in Monte Cinto either at the end or beginning of the southern section. I understand there is campsite at Lozzi but we will have no vehicle. I also read somewhere that some of the scrambles involved are Grade 2. Any practical comments on this ascent would appreciated.

Thanks
Fiona

Michele

Posted: Tue, Mar 11, 2014, 16:52

Fiona,

Unfortunately I have no first hand info about it (hope some else in the forum can help). Have you read this report?

http://www.ii.uib.no/~petter/mountains/2000mtn/cinto.html

--Michele

Fiona Mack

Posted: Tue, Mar 11, 2014, 19:47

Thank you Michele, I think I had seen this account which is 8 yrs old. Below is a newer but less informative link indicating that the access road from the Camping is now closed and that the scramble is merely a Grade 1 ?

http://www.korsika-entdecken.de/en_monte_cinto.html

Fiona

Gaffr

Posted: Sun, Mar 16, 2014, 19:26

Could see from the Bocca a Arinella the route to Cintu up the south flank of the mountain. Of course if you wanted to split the journey to the top there is a wee refuge on this flank too.
My only experience of Monte Cinto was in early June 2008 when there was some soft snowfields still around and some soft snow lodged between the big boulders prior to the summit.
The best scrambling was lower down, after crossing the wee bridge over the stream, to get through a wee barrier of slabby rock to then get onto a very good path all the way up to the area close to the wee lac....then snowfields up to the col.
I did meet a couple of Belgian folks in 2007, 22 June, at Tighettu refuge, who said that they had been up and down to Cintu from the refuge.

--

Gaffr

Gaffr

Posted: Sun, Mar 16, 2014, 19:29

Should have mentioned that my ascent was from Haut Ascu.

--

Gaffr