Booking tent spaces?

Sophie

Posted: Sat, Jun 16, 2012, 10:59

I would be grateful if someone could please tell me if there is a way of booking a camping space for my own tent at the refuges, or do I just turn up and hope for the best?! I looked on the Parc Corse website but cannot really understand! Thank you.

Michele

Posted: Sat, Jun 16, 2012, 12:34

Sophie,

I'm sorry to say that booking a physical camping space for your tent is impossible, because there are no predetermined and/or numbered pitches.

So you can only book a hypothetical pitch. Once you get to the campsite you'll have to find yourself a good place for your tent. And keep your fingers crossed :D

--Michele

LisaSusan

Posted: Sat, Jun 16, 2012, 14:04

Lisa
Hi Sophie, my understanding of the 'rules' re booking tent places at refuges is officially from the Parc people via email it's not mandatory to book but advisable. However from others who have done the route with their own tent they say there was no problem in finding a place to camp, depending on time of year and time of arrival at each refuge. We are doing the GR 20 in late August/ Sept. and will not be prebooking places, just turning up and hoping to find a place. Hope with helps. ;-))

--

Lisa

hotelmedicis

Posted: Tue, Jun 19, 2012, 21:12

Hi Sophie,

If you have your own tent there is no booking spaces, you simply show up. Everyone seemed to prefer this and I even tried to book a space for the following night and they just simply laughed and told me to forget about it "laissez tomber" so you are as free as a bird. Don't worry, they will not run out of spaces for tents, the ground is vaste and wide and there is always a space.

plasmation

Posted: Mon, Jun 25, 2012, 12:04

Hi, I dont quite agree with hotelmedicis. We just returned from the gr20 and in some places people running late had trouble finding spots. And that is not the peak season yet! I suggest you show up before 4pm to find a good spot.

plasmation.net/hiking

--

plasmation.net/Trekking/Corsica-GR20/

hotelmedicis

Posted: Wed, Jun 27, 2012, 22:43

There is always a place to pitch a tent, even if you have to leave the refuge and keep walking a bit ;-)

Michele

Posted: Thu, Jun 28, 2012, 6:10

Not to be picky, but if you leave the refuge compound it's like camping out in the wild. Then, yes, there is plenty of space :)

Joanna

Posted: Fri, Jun 29, 2012, 5:57

I've just returned from the southern part myself. Nobody seemed to have booked the bivuacs, and there was no problem with getting spaces (well, so I think, we used to arrive first and had our pick, but I've never seen anybody not getting a space either). Yes, some compounds were quite crowded, but that's partly because they had a lot of refuge's own tents for hire sat up. I guess if you show up and there are no camping lots free, but still some free refuge tents, they might offer you to stay in one of them. Anyway, what you can do is to check the availability of the spaces on the booking page under "Calendrier des disponibilités". In an unlikely case of them getting scarce, just book your space for your peace of mind.

Tick

Posted: Fri, Jun 29, 2012, 16:55

I just got back from northern half and had no trouble finding spot for my tent, although I always got in relatively early. It depends on the refuge also. For example, Refuge de Pietra Piana had limited spots with wind breaks (and it was WINDY), many of their own tents. By evening it was relatively packed with tents (they have a large grassy field which would be great for tents, but it is off limits for helicopter). By comparison, Refuge de l'Onda had a relatively large field for tents, it wasn't nearly full. The most extreme case I had was in Refuge de Carrozzu when I set out to find tent spot at 6pm (after finding bed bugs in refuge). Even at 6pm, I found a spot deep in the woods (albeit behind the cesspool...)

There are alternatives to refuges, such as Bergerie de Ballone camping and Vizzavona camping (near train), etc. So if you plan out each day carefully, it should not be a problem. But maybe June is no indication of how crowded it is in August!

Evan

--

Evan Tick

Michele

Posted: Fri, Jun 29, 2012, 19:03

Personally I think that the park tents have complicated the problem. Once upon a time there was only the refuge and the campground for those carrying their own tent. Fair enough.

But now, most of the best pitches are already occupied by the park tents reducing considerably the already limited space available, especially around some problematic huts.

--Michele