bed bug update

Tick

Posted: Fri, Jun 29, 2012, 15:37

Hi - just got back from northern part of course. There are definitely bed bugs at Refuge de Carrozzu - I squashed a few myself before moving into my tent.

Other than that, we had great, clear weather the last two weeks. Definitely did not need my 20F sleeping bag - a lightweight summer bag is sufficient.

Best dinner award goes to Refuge d’Ortu di u Piobbu and Refuge de l'Onda.

Best resupply award goes to Refuge d'Asco Stagnu.

Evan

--

Evan Tick

Michele

Posted: Fri, Jun 29, 2012, 18:50

Thanks Evan for the update. Unfortunately the Carrozzu is renowned for this. I hope more reports will come in.
It's useful to have the latest news on this issue.

--Michele

Rickard

Posted: Tue, Jul 10, 2012, 23:32

A brief bugger up-date

Just home from the GR20, northern part. We didn't sleep at all the refuges but...

Vizzavona, Hotel del Oro, refuge part - first night, bugs.

Petra Piana - loads of bugs

Carruzzo- well... May I suggest that you sleep on the terrace? Yes, I may. Nice view, not so much bugs outside, inside was a hell.

The others I do not know as we only slept in these and Tigjettu. But Tigjettu seemed to be the one who took this seriously. And apparently made efforts not to let the bugs take over the GR20. And guess what, no bugs to found at that great place.

Michele

Posted: Wed, Jul 11, 2012, 9:34

Thanks Rickard for the precious bug report :)

Some ten years ago or so (at the time I did my very first GR20 north) the friends who chose to sleep inside the Tighjettu were bitten pretty badly. I'm glad to hear the hut's guardien took things seriously.

I hope to hear more reports about the other huts as well.

--Michele

Di Batten

Posted: Sun, Jul 7, 2013, 22:29

We are starting the GR20 at the beginning of September this year and are hoping for some news of the bedbug situation in 2013. At present we are planning on using our tent but would have preferred to save the weight if the problem has been addressed successfully.
Also we would be interested to hear what others have found about temperatures in early Sept. We have our summer option of sharing a good down bag in quilt mode or bringing two bags if it's likely to be getting cold by then. We have down jackets so can get by for the odd cold night if we go with the quilt option but don't want to resort to that for many nights.

Cheers
Di

--

Di

Turnertactics

Posted: Mon, Jul 8, 2013, 7:12

Di

The problem with bed bugs is they crawl into your bag and transport themselves to the next refuge or even back home. If one or more refuges on a linear route like the GR20 have bed bugs then, sooner or later, they all will. It looks like this year's springs erradication programme missed a few, possibly in the independent refuges.

The most sensible solution I've heard of is to get a fine net bag that completely encloses your sleeping bag but I don't know if this actually works.

I'm not sure about temperatures in September but it was very stormy last September
See http://corsica.forhikers.com/forum/p/19202

There are plenty of other posts asking similar questions. Just put 'September' in the search box.

--

Alan

Gnome

Posted: Mon, Jul 8, 2013, 13:10

Alan,
Thanks for the clarification. Did you see any bed bugs spray for sale anywhere, specificly in Calenzanna?
Best,

--

-Noam

Di Batten

Posted: Mon, Jul 8, 2013, 18:10

Alan
Thanks for the comment. I was thinking the same thing and hoping the dratted critters aren't also hitch hiking to the few gites along the route where we intend to have a break from the tent....
We've decided to go with the two sleeping bags anyway as we will be towards the end of the season and could catch some colder weather.
Cheers
Di

--

Di

Turnertactics

Posted: Tue, Jul 9, 2013, 6:35

Di

I had a night in the basement bunk rooms at the Hotel de Verghio and didn't encounter any bed bugs.

It was nice to have hot showers & a comfy mattress.

--

Alan

JonR

Posted: Mon, Jul 22, 2013, 15:42

Hi
We just finished a week ago and didn't come across any bed bugs. Admittedly we spent most of our time in tents and only stayed in the Gites for two nights (one in Vizavonna and one at Haut Asco). The basement rooms at Hotel de Verghio looked really stuffy and noisy and we weren't given a room with a window, so we splurged and upgraded to a hotel room for the night.