Old GR20 Route to Refuge d'Altore

Stenning45

Posted: Fri, Jul 20, 2012, 19:34

Hi Everybody,

I am planning on doing the GR20 alone in the beginning of August and I wanted to do the old GR20 route to the refuge d'Altore. First of all, is it still marked? How do I know when to leave the "new" trail and take the old GR20? And finally, what about my doing it alone? Does anyone think that's a bad idea? I mean, just how long will I be out there alone on the old GR20 before coming to the ancient refuge d'Altore?

Is there anyone who would like to do it with me? I should be there on the 3rd of August, that is to say, it will be August 3rd when I am on the old GR20 route so that should correspond to a departure from Calanzana on the morning of the 31st of July. ;-)

Many thanks . . .

PS: Water at the old refuge?

Michele

Posted: Sat, Jul 21, 2012, 10:17

Hi Stenning,

You can take the old route at Bocca di Stagnu by just staying on the crest. Initially you'll notice the old waymarks covered in grey paint but later on the red and white flashes should reappear (though bleached out). However, it's not always simple to retrace the old route as bushes have outgrown and on many occasions and it could be easy to lose the track. This is from what I heard because I didn't do it personally.
The old refuge of Altore is no more and you'll only find a sign marking the place. There is a spring nearby that, from what I read on this forum, should be relatively easy to locate.

Doing it alone very much depends on your experience: many people walk the GR20 alone, but, along that section I doubt you'll find any traffic. So if you don't feel confident to do it on your own, then don't.

--Michele

Stenning45

Posted: Sat, Jul 21, 2012, 15:02

Thanks Michele, I'll keep an eye out when I get to Bocca di Stagnu. Should be no problem from what I have read but I'm wondering how long it takes before it joins up again with the "new" GR20. I'm not at all interested in going down to Asco and back up again.
Many thanks.

Michele

Posted: Sun, Jul 22, 2012, 19:57

The time is mostly relative to the type of the terrain (which I don't know). I can only tell you that on my map it measures a little below 2,5 km.

Joanna

Posted: Mon, Jul 23, 2012, 7:31

Hi Stenning,
we did the old route three years ago, you can read about it here:
joannastravelblog.com/?page_id=319

In short, it was still easy to follow, but it was long, partly overgrown, and led over a mountain top. On the other hand, it spared us for the apparently horrible descent to Asco along the normal route. If you want, I can send you the GPS track, just give me your email adress.

Michele

Posted: Mon, Jul 23, 2012, 8:27

Hi Joanna,

I'd appreciate if you would sent it to me as well. Thanks

oldroute.wallace108 at spamgourmet dot com

grant

Posted: Sun, Aug 5, 2012, 19:38

Hi joanna (or Michele)...could you send me a copy also!

Thanks
Grant

grantlinscott at hotmail dot com

Stenning45

Posted: Tue, Aug 7, 2012, 15:45

Many thanks!
stenning45 (at) yahoo (dot) com