Tents

Humps91

Posted: Mon, Jul 30, 2012, 20:46

Hello everyone im currently debating what tent to buy.

One with either 3000 hydro-static head and 5000 groundsheet or 5000 head and a 6000 groundsheet.

The first is a wild country Zephyros 1 and the other a vango banshee 200.

Some help please guys :D

Michele

Posted: Tue, Jul 31, 2012, 6:15

Hi,
I'd personally go with the higher hydro-static head and groundsheet. It's probably heavier but - of course - it would offer stronger protection in case of rain.

Turnertactics

Posted: Tue, Aug 7, 2012, 15:36

Humps

I'd go for the lightest possible.

The Wild Country tent is basically a budget version of the Terra Nova Laser and looks pretty good to me. The spec I saw gave it a 5000 hydrostatic head as well.

We used a North Face Meso 2, which I managed to get for £170. It's got a 5000 hydrostatic head and has withstood some ferocious weather (in Wales) but it's a little bit heavier than the Zephyros.

Alan

--

Alan

Stenning45

Posted: Thu, Aug 16, 2012, 14:38

Hello Humps91,

You didn't mention what sort of climate you will be using the tent in. Corsica in the summer? Backpacking? Anyway, go for the lightest possible tent if you have to carry it on your back.

Check out Vaude for super lightweight tents (Power Tokee or Lizard) and also Six Moons has a tent at under 500 grams.

In the end you DON'T want to carry a lot of weight on your back. Go as light as you can. Not over 1kg.

Turnertactics

Posted: Thu, Aug 16, 2012, 19:12

Stenning

I like the look of the Six Moons tents - I didn't know about those!

I must spend some time appraising those!

425 grams? How can they do that?

Humps

I guess that budget is an issue here or you'd probably be looking at a Terra Nova tent instead of the Wild Country alternative. Is it just for you or are you sharing with someone? Half a double tent is a lot less to carry than a single tent each.

Alan

--

Alan

Stenning45

Posted: Fri, Aug 17, 2012, 15:16

Hi Alan,

Yes, the Six Moons tents are impressive, but if you really want to be blown away and peak into the cottage industry of ultralightweight backpacking in the USA, have a look at what Zpacks (www.zpacks.com) are doing.

Look at the Hexamid Solo tent at 264 grams.

They are using cutting edge technology and materials that have never before been used in backpacking. Cuban Fiber, once used exclusively for building racing yachts, and is not only waterproof but breathable, is now being used to construct super lightweight tents, tarps, backpacks and clothing. (So don't invest any money in Gore-Tex stock!!!!)

And all the Zpacks tents, sleeping bags (look at the weight on those!!!!) and backpacks are made right in the USA by a small team of dedicated enthusiasts.

Yes, Humps, you budget must be an issue but go for the lightest possible tent you can afford. I am using the Vaude Power Tokee Ultralight and I'm beginning to feel that it's a bit heavy after all this talk of sub-500 gram tents!!

All the best!

Turnertactics

Posted: Sat, Aug 18, 2012, 11:06

Stenning

Thanks for the web address - fascinating looking gear and not a bad price either. I'm not sure about these tarp tents though. Probably perfect for Corsica but maybe not the Alps or Scotland. I think I prefer a two skin tent with a fully enclosed outer skin. I'll have to give one a go and see how I get on.

The Vaude tent looks pretty nifty too. My North Face tent is 1400g but thats split 50/50 with my brother so only 700g each. It'll do for our return trip to Corsica next year.

Alan

--

Alan

Gaffr

Posted: Sat, Aug 18, 2012, 13:00

Hello TT,
You say that you will return to Corsica next year. I have read in the press that the Tour de France is making an appearance in Corsica next year. I just wonder how this will affect the travel around the island when this takes place. End of June and into July?

--

Gaffr

Turnertactics

Posted: Sun, Aug 19, 2012, 12:22

Gaffr

Thanks for the warning. I'm hoping to go to Glastonbury so it may be the end of August.

It should be back to normal by then but still far too hot!

Alan

--

Alan

dinny

Posted: Mon, Feb 18, 2013, 21:39

Hey Stenning45,
I've just read your post re: Zpacks...I bought a down sleeping bag from them, arrived a few days ago - claims it's suitable for down to minus 7 degrees C, and I believe it! Water resistant down too, and weighs in at 18 ounces. A friend recently bought a zpacks two-person Cuben Fibre tent - we put it up on the Scottish hills a couple of weekends ago just to test it out, and it's just grand! Thinking seriously about getting the solo for possible Corsican trip...
As far as I'm concerned, the less weight the better, so long as you have confidence in the gear you carry and have tried it out. I only take what I know I need and will use - if I haven't got it with me, I can get along without it!
Dinny