Buying gas or fuel for stoves on Corsica!?

Line

Posted: Tue, Aug 28, 2012, 18:50

Hi!

What is the possibilities to buy single use cartridges of gas with valve on Corsica? Where and which brand? Is "Primus" available? What about white fuel?

And are the shops open on Sundays?

--

Line

Gaffr

Posted: Tue, Aug 28, 2012, 19:59

Once got gas...non valve type French blue brand....at a small food shop in Calvi. It being sunday super-market was closed.

--

Gaffr

Turnertactics

Posted: Wed, Aug 29, 2012, 7:44

Line

We went into several supermarkets between Bastia and Calvi but couldn't find any gas at all.

The refuges have gas stoves available for campers in handy little shelters, so you don't need any.

Alan

--

Alan

huud

Posted: Wed, Aug 29, 2012, 7:53

the only commonly available cartridges are the camping gaz.

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, Aug 29, 2012, 13:54

As TT says gas is available at the refuges...all? I did use the refuge gas on a couple of occasions but having my own supply does open up the chance of having a brew during the day on the walk. Definitely got some at the supermarket in Calvi...not on Sunday! Also I did see gas cans in the wee shop in Calinzana and also made gas purchases at Ascu and Vizzavona. I do recall getting some advice before our first trip regarding gas and the 'camping gas' was recommended. My coleman alpine does not get taken to Corse.

--

Gaffr

desdan

Posted: Wed, Aug 29, 2012, 15:07

dan , n.ireland

we tried to get white fuel at ajaccio , major town on mainland before sailing but gave up and ended up having to use petrol in our stove instead , made pans a bit dirty but still worked. As for gas i have hard that the french cannisters are differnetly threaded than UK ones thats why we went for trying to get coleman liquid fuel.

But like others have said there is free and available gas cookers and pots and pans at all refuges i stayed at last year. Heading back this year in Septemeber to do the other half , no cooking implements or stoves at all this time as they are really surplus to requirements unless fancy stopping and cooking lunch or a cup of tea along the route

--

dan , n.ireland

daskew

Posted: Fri, Aug 31, 2012, 15:30

I purchased the MSR/Jet boil type screw valve at Gite La Tonelle in Conca as I was going south to north, they also had the blue puncture type available.

Michele

Posted: Fri, Aug 31, 2012, 21:24

At the store in Vizzavona they sell both types of canister: the screw-on and the click-on. They also have the puncture type available.

Line

Posted: Mon, Sep 3, 2012, 18:26

Thanks for all answers! Think we´ll go for petrol then. We´re driving Ajaccio-Calvi, so I guess that´s easiest :)

--

Line

plasmation

Posted: Wed, Oct 3, 2012, 9:34

We bought gas in a Millet store in Bastia minutes from the port (42.70356N, 9.45179E). The screw-top type (not pierceable), they had 450g/230g/100g canisters. We took the 450g (for 2 persons). We carried our own food. Used gas 3 times a day (breakfast tea or coffee, dehydrated lunch, dinner soup) so about 2-3l of water/day. The canister emptied out on the last day in Calenzana :) (S-N).

here is the link to the store on google maps : https://plus.google.com/104234059778004637764
Opening hours 9-12, 3-7pm

--

plasmation.net/Trekking/Corsica-GR20/

gilesc

Posted: Fri, Oct 5, 2012, 12:46

Recommend you don't bother with a stove or fuel. You can use the refuge stoves for free in the morning and evening. For lunch, most of the food you can buy at the refuge does not need cooking (bread, cheese, chocolate, tinned tuna). Save yourself some weight and hassle. Maybe take a cheap bic lighter for the refuge stove... Giles

koubin

Posted: Sat, Sep 1, 2018, 17:20

Found Campingaz's alternative (fits for Coleman type stove) in shop called Mr.Bricolage. It is probably for different purpose, but worked well. It is just in a not very practical shape, but no problem with stability on the way:

https://www.campingaz.com/uk/p-22848-cg-3500.aspx

There is even smaller version, but did not test that one.

Mr Bricolage seems to be very frequent store. I bought my cartridge just like 2km west from the Bastia Airport on the main road.