bus from Corte to Porto | Corsica.forHikers.com

bus from Corte to Porto

backpackerchik

Posted: Mon, Sep 10, 2012, 4:56

I am going to be hiking for 4 days on the GR20, basing out of Corte at the beginning and end of the hike. I see that there is a bus that goes from Corte to Porto. I would like to start at the trailhead at Calasima to begin the hike up to Ciottulu di i Mori refuge the first night. I see that the bus stops at Calacuccia, but I'm wondering if you could ask the bus to stop at Albertacce. Would they do that? Or is it only the designated stops only?
If we stopped at Albertacce, we could hike to Calasima, or hitch a ride there, couldn't we?

Thanks!
Andrea

Gaffr

Posted: Mon, Sep 10, 2012, 7:41

You might have to carry more than just a sleeping bag. I think that most of the refuges close for the season around the time of your visit. Although having said that you may just be inside the season? I guess it would be best to check with the Park folks regarding closing times to avoid disapoinment. The refuges are open, in the off season, but for shelter only. You should be fine at col de Vergio which is an hotel. Then to Manganu? and beyond.... one of the best parts of the GR20 route.....down into Restonica? I noticed that there is a wee dusty looking gully with 'Corte plus an arrow' painted on the rock wall for a return to the Corte direction.
Have been in Corte following MM Nord route which took us, after Sega refuge, down to Albertacce. Don't see why the bus wouldn't drop you there after all in a rural area this is quite normal to even drop folks at 'road ends' and non designated spots etc. I would also guess that your Corte-Porto bus passes the hotel at Viergo. Didn't see a gear shop in Corte but there may well be.

--

Gaffr

backpackerchik

Posted: Mon, Sep 10, 2012, 15:51

I already have reservations at the refuges. They are definitely still open. The bus runs through September 30 along that route, so we would be fine. I just don't know how far the hike would be from Albertacce to Ciottulu di i Mori refuge.

Gaffr

Posted: Mon, Sep 10, 2012, 16:40

Sounds good. You are all very well organised re. the refuges. I've just got my 1:25,000 map out.... Corte and Monte Cintu. If you don't get a 'lift' from a vehicle when you arrive to Albertacce it is possible to follow the MM Nord for a bit....turn off right after 3.5 kls and then another maybe 1.5 kls to reach Calasima. Alternative would be (less pleasant) to follow the road to Calasima. The trail then follows the forest road? and then short distace links you onto the GR20. You then have an uphill bit, I recall this from when we came from Tighettu refuge. From alt 1962mtrs. it is a short distance to refuge Mori. Looks like around 8/9kls to Mori from Calasima. Altitude gain from is of the order of 1,000 metres.

--

Gaffr

Turnertactics

Posted: Mon, Sep 10, 2012, 20:01

Andrea

Why not stay on the bus and get off at Castel di Verghio and take the GR20 to the refuge. You'll gain quite a bit of height before you start and that section of the GR20 is very good with forest to start, a pretty river section with lots of pools to swim in and open mountainside at the top.

When you get to the refuge, check out the hole in the rock face. If you're a competent scrambler, you can get up there relatively easilly via a great zig zag route.

I'm sure the bus will stop at any point you request but you can check with the operator: Transports Mordiconi - www.hotel-des-touristes.com - Tel: 0495 480004 - E-mail : j-e.mordiconi@wanadoo.fr (from the corsicabus.org web site).

I'd check the refuge to see if they have blankets as well. They usually do and it's unlikely to be busy so you can use several.

The guardian there a couple of years ago was very hospitable.

Good luck

--

Alan

backpackerchik

Posted: Mon, Sep 10, 2012, 21:24

My preference is to not have to re-trace my steps, but to go in one route, and then down to Castel di Verghio and continue south. I could go up and down the same route, but would prefer not to.
Perhaps its not worth the headache of having to do the extra walking and/or paying the extra money for the ability to not have to re-trace steps, though.

backpackerchik

Posted: Mon, Sep 10, 2012, 21:24

How do you "check the refuge" to see if they have blankets, before you arrive?

Gaffr

Posted: Tue, Sep 11, 2012, 7:23

When we were on the traverse we were campers so did not enter the sleeping areas of the refuges. But I would guess that, as in the alpine refuges, that you have your own inner sleeping bag which is a silk lightweight wee bag then grab some extra coverings at the refuge.

My ramblings in an earlier post....distances both horizontal and vertical were to allow you to work out timings for you walk from Albertacce to Mori. The unknown is the time of the arrival of the bus from Corte? Then of course you have to calculate timings from there. Three maybe four kilometers per hour and maybe one/two minutes for each upward ten metres. Now does that now fit into daylight hours that you have available? Working on 3kph. and 1 minute for each vertical 10 metres....you are talking about nearly six/seven hours or so from Albertacce to Mori which is the highest refuge on the GR20 at just on the 2,000 metres level.

--

Gaffr

Michele

Posted: Tue, Sep 11, 2012, 10:03

I don't think there are any.

Please check out this page of the park official website:
http://www.parc-corse.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=227&...

If you scroll down a bit, they clearly write with a bigger red font:

Attention : il n'y pas de couvertures dans les refuges!!! Le randonneur devra se munir d'un bon sac de couchage.

Turnertactics

Posted: Wed, Sep 12, 2012, 19:01

Andrea

I see now. You want to go from Albertacce or Calasima to the refuge Ciottulu di i Mori then go via Castel di Verghio the next day. I don't know the route but it looks feasible on Google Earth, provided you allow enough time. Would you be able to buy some cheap sleeping bags just for this hike? There are supermarkets in Corte but I can't say if they sell them or not but Corte tourist information centre will. They were very helpful with bus times two years ago. E mail them on corte.tourisme@wanadoo.fr

Alan

--

Alan

Michele

Posted: Wed, Sep 12, 2012, 21:36

@Andrea

The route from Albertacce and Calasima to Ciottulu de i Mori is feasible. As a matter of fact one of my buddies during our trek decided to bypass the cirque de la Solitude hitchhiking his way to Calasima. But he was lucky enough to get someone to pick him up. People in Corsica are kind and always willing to offer a ride, but, from Calacuccia to Albertacce and further down to Calasima I don't expect much traffic. Worst case scenario you'll have to walk roughly 9 km from Calacuccia to Calasima and from there 8 more Km to Ciottulu.

--Michele

Gaffr

Posted: Thu, Sep 13, 2012, 7:36

As so often happens on this site....the folks that ask the original request for some information. Information that we all try to give to the best of our acquired knowledge As so often happens the originators go completely silent. Maybe they don't like our advice?

Anyway as usual Michele and Co. always come up with good advice.

The track upwards from Calacuccia or Abertacce via Calasima is, I guess, the same one that services the Bergeries at Vallone but you would need to keep vigilant for the turn off for the linkage to the GR20. I think what I was trying to say in an earlier post that if the bus arrives late to Abertacce...I don't know what this time is? It might be easier in the possible fading light, and rather than facing the steepish uphill bit to reach Mori, to continue to Vallone and spent the night there? If nothing else it does give you another option...and it is 600 metres lower in altitude.

--

Gaffr

Michele

Posted: Thu, Sep 13, 2012, 9:13

Roger,

You are right. I think the best solution is to reach the bergerie de Vallone and spend the night there (instead of having to face the rugged ascet to Bocca Foggiale in the late hours).

And I also agree with you with the fact that many people ask for information but often don't reply.
Probably also due to the bad way this forum is done, the only one that does not allow to be informed via email of post replies :(

backpackerchik

Posted: Sun, Sep 16, 2012, 20:11

That is true, I was not aware there were posts added. That, in addition to preparing for a 3 week trip to 3 different countries, getting married, and moving to a new house...

Thank you for providing input and I will not be asking for any more help.

Though, I will provide any input after the trip is completed, should it become useful.

Gaffr

Posted: Mon, Sep 17, 2012, 11:43

My apologies to the person with the prior post. You do seem to have a great deal on your plate at the moment. I hope that your trip goes well on the island and I am certain that you won't be disappointed.
I am also sure that the folks around here will be happy to hear about your visit.

--

Gaffr