Bed bugs and other creepy stuff

David S

Posted: Wed, Oct 3, 2012, 13:12

Hi all,

I've seen in some places that people have complained about bed bugs (and one person said lice) at the refuges. We go out this weekend and to save on weight had booked beds at the refuges. Is there an update on the bed bug situation, were is it really bad and any suggestions how to avoid them (except for bringing a tent).

Thanks for your help.

David.

Turnertactics

Posted: Wed, Oct 3, 2012, 19:00

David

Giles had an interesting solution (see the forum entry for 'Detailed Kit List and other guidance'). His suggestion was to take a midge proof net to cover your sleeping bag. You would need to cover your rucksack as well to stop any stowaways. You wouldn't want to take them home with you.

Alan

--

Alan

gilesc

Posted: Fri, Oct 5, 2012, 12:39

Yes, there are bed bugs in some of the refuges. I squished one after finding it on my bed.
If you have a 70 litre (oversize) rucksack liner then you can put your rucksack in that at night to keep them out. Giles

chanceplus

Posted: Tue, Oct 9, 2012, 17:13

This will be too late for David but might help others. We called into a chemist in Calvi before starting and bought Insectecran which you spray on your sleeping bag and liner. It provides a screen against insects. I sprayed it on the first night and had no bother. My friend decided to wait and see - bad move. He was covered in bites the next morning. After spraying he had no further problems. Money well spent. Only one refuge, Tighjettu, was committed to eradicating bedbugs by disinfecting against them every day. Well done, Tighjettu!