Midges, mosquitoes and other bugs!

Posted: Sat, Feb 7, 2009, 19:28

I am going to do the GR20 early september and cant decide between a lightweight tent or a bivvy bag. On balance I think the main deciding factor will be the biting insects.........midges, mozzies, ants, horseflies etc. I know a lot of the rout is at altitude but when I did the GR10 in the Pyrenees found plenty of places high up with loads of biting insects.

Can anyone advise if this is the case for Corsica or will I be ok in a bivvy bag! ??? Thanks. steve Marshall

Posted: Mon, Oct 17, 2011, 15:45

Hey, I know this is a little late, but after spending most of the summer in Corsica, I have to enlighten you on the bugs and bites that followed. During the 5 months I was there, 4 people got bitten (we assume- the French Doctor wasn't too sure!), probably by a spider, on the neck- almost like a vampire bite! The bite grew over a 7 day period, very painfully; so I'm told, then developed into a large 'white head' then eventually burst. Leaving a small but noticeable scar on all four people! Other members of the group received bites on knees and elbows that also became infected.

From August onwards, at about 8pm most nights there was an invasion of horseflies in our hotel restaurant. These used to scare the hell into me- I was a chef on the carving station- because the 'flies would fly straight at you. Hitting me in the chest, head and back. Apparently this is a warning! I didn't understand it then or now.

There is also an infinite amount of ants, none that bit particularly badly (to my knowledge), but don't leave anything sugary in you tent/room/bag etc. They will find a way in, and they are industrious little buggers!

There was also an influx of bees near the end of the summer season, although this was put down to the queen bee moving. The bees were only around for 3 days, then moved on.

And finally Corsica has the nastiest looking hornets I've seen to date. Don't think anyone was stung, and that was a blessing as these things looked like they came straight from hell.

Please don' let this info put anyone off visiting Corsica, it's one of the most beautiful places I've had the pleasure of visiting. It should also be noted that I spent most of my time on or near the coast. When up in the mountains, the only bugs were midges and mozzies, and then only when little or no wind.

See the bigger picture

See the bigger picture