Physical preparation

Kasper

Posted: Mon, Feb 9, 2009, 13:28

Hi,

Me and 2 friends (all 27 y.o.) are planning to do the GR 20 (North part) end of June. We are all in adequate condition and have hiked before. We plan to do a test hike during a weekend to test material etc. Now my question: what physical preparation did you do before starting the trip and how was your stamina?

Would someone in regular shape (i.e. not obese) with a bit of jogging on beforehand be able to complete the trip?

Many thanks,
Kasper

GRRR 20

Posted: Fri, Apr 28, 2017, 6:48

I'm not sure that jogging is a 'transferable skill' on the GR20. Best thing is to practice going for a steep walk, somewhere really rocky, carrying all your kit, and staying out overnight. Make sure it's 'hands-on' rock with lots of exposure!

Backstroke

Posted: Thu, May 4, 2017, 4:57

A reasonably fit person will be able to do the hike. At the risk of being obvious, the more fit you are, the more you will enjoy yourself.
As mentioned, fully testing your entire kit on a steep and difficult day hike is important.You may learn that your pack or new shoes don't fit as well as you thought.

Eddie Boo

Posted: Sat, May 6, 2017, 17:36

You will be fine. Walk with a full pack in prep as said and provided you are reasonably fit you will be ok. After all, you are not in a race and will walk at your own pace. However, agree with the comment that the fitter the better.