Tent

Malte8900

Posted: Mon, Feb 11, 2013, 15:04

Hi.
I am wondering what tent to use on the gr20. Is the ground rock hard at all the refuges so that you cant use pegs? In that case what is recommendable then?
And how much should a 2 person tent max weigh if you want to go lightweight? And does anybody know some particular tents they would recommend?

Kind regards Malte.

Michele

Posted: Mon, Feb 11, 2013, 16:31

Hi Malte,

On my second trip I used a Ferrino Light Tent 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdrl--BeQxY that weighs 2 kg (and we split the weight). It's a very basic tent, does not cost you a fortune and does its job.
Its major down side is that it is not a self-standing tent.

The gr20 ground on most camping places is a pain in the butt. However the situation changes from places to places, but in general don't expect always soft ground. We carried several strings to secure the tent to the ground with heavy stones.

--Michele

Turnertactics

Posted: Mon, Feb 11, 2013, 16:32

Malte

The ground is hard but you don't need to worry. If you can't bang the pegs in, just take some extra cord and tie it round a few rocks. I found tying it round a twig and weighing the twigs down with rocks was good. V pegs or Y pegs might work better but I'm just taking some titanium wire pegs a 1g each. My tent was a North Face Meso 22 at 1.5kg was light enough and good enough for two. I'm heading back onto the GR20 in August with it when we plan to finish the route. You can get lighter tents but they are expensive and maybe not very durable.

Alan

--

Alan

Joanna

Posted: Mon, Feb 11, 2013, 16:44

We used Hilleberg Rogen, 1,8 kg. :http://www.hilleberg.se/sv/product/rogen
One night we had a strong wind and the tent withstood it without any damage.
You can easily find good 2ppl tents under 2,5 kg.

The ground is hard almost everywhere, but you can use pegs everywhere as well, just apply some strenght and a stone:-)

Gaffr

Posted: Mon, Feb 11, 2013, 16:55

Gaffr
Our tent ...a British made one...no longer made is around 2.0kgs. There must be others much lighter nowadays!
For the rock hard tent pitches...there were a few of these....we used our 'washing line' (para-chord) chopped up into shorter lengths then simply rolled a rock up in the string, for each attachment, towards the tent fly.....no need for any knots.. did the job reasonably well.... then if needed as a washing line..... knot the short lengths to join into a single line for drying clothes.

--

Gaffr

Gaffr

Posted: Mon, Feb 11, 2013, 16:56

Gaffr
Our tent ...a British made one...no longer made is around 2.0kgs. There must be others much lighter nowadays!
For the rock hard tent pitches...there were a few of these....we used our 'washing line' (para-chord) chopped up into shorter lengths then simply rolled a rock up in the string, for each attachment, towards the tent fly.....no need for any knots.. did the job reasonably well.... then if needed as a washing line..... knot the short lengths to join into a single line for drying clothes.

--

Gaffr

DP1

Posted: Tue, Feb 12, 2013, 12:46

I'm wondering the same thing myself as I'm doing the North Half early June. The Gelert Solo only weighs 1.5 Kg and has good reviews particularly bearing in mind it costs less than £40. Has anyone used one on the GR20?

--

Denis.

Malte8900

Posted: Tue, Feb 12, 2013, 17:03

Thanks for the replies. Was very helpful. Now I have an idea of what to buy :-)

Michele

Posted: Tue, Feb 12, 2013, 19:12

Denis,

I don't have direct experience with the Gelert Solo. From what I read it's fairly ok, but it won't tolerate heavy rains.

--Michele

Turnertactics

Posted: Wed, Feb 13, 2013, 13:53

Denis

The Gelert tent has got a surprisingly good spec. At that price it might be worth a go but try it out somewhere wet & windy first. The hydrostatic head is OK at 1500 but most mountain tents will withstand a lot more rain than that and the headroom is quite low if you're tent-bound for very long. Personally, I'd go for something with a better frame to keep it rigid.

Alan

--

Alan

DP1

Posted: Thu, Feb 14, 2013, 12:50

Thanks for the advice guys. I will probably go with the Gelert but will make sure that I test it properly before I go.

--

Denis.

dinny

Posted: Sat, Feb 16, 2013, 14:13

Hey there,
I used a Terra Nova laser-light on the GR20 - an old model, so not as lightweight as the new ones. They're expensive, but it might be possible to buy an old (or 'used') one cheaper. I didn't take the inner tent, used a silver 'emergency' blanket for a ground-sheet, and the outter tent alone had plenty of space for two people and gear, and weighed a total of 750g.
Having a separate ground sheet means that you can sleep under the stars when the weather is good...I arrived at midnight at Vizzavona after a train-worker strike at Calvi meant a bus trip, two hitch-hikes, and a walk, and was glad not to have to pitch a tent there at that time. The worst thing was, I'd been so looking forward to a lovely meal at the resteraunt there!
Dinny

Stenning45

Posted: Mon, Feb 18, 2013, 22:24

The ground is extremely hard in Corsica and you should purchase some tent stakes specifically made for hard ground. I bent several solid steel stakes.

I used a Vaude Power Tokkee Ultralight, 800g + tent stakes so around 900g all in. This is a single person tent but they also make the Power Lizard for 2 people.

pegram

Posted: Thu, Mar 7, 2013, 19:26

Hi Malte, I cycled in Corsica a couple of years ago and spent most of the time with only a mat and sleeping bag, the weather didn't require anything else. As for the Gelert Solo I did use that model on the trip and it was fine, but one of the poles did snap before quite early on. It is something worth checking. The tent coped well with 2 weeks of heavy rain in Germany, was light and quite easy to erect so on that front I would recommend it.

--

pegram