a well marked route?

jill

Posted: Sun, Mar 10, 2013, 22:13

Hi,
Is the GR20 a well marked route, so that extensive map/navigation skills are not needed?
If we have 7 days at our disposal - which part of the northern route would you recemmend? We are used to walking in steep terrain.
do you recommend carrying a tent or can we count on space in the huts even in July/august?

kind regards
Jill

Michele

Posted: Mon, Mar 11, 2013, 7:31

Jill,

Yes, the GR20 is indeed a well marked route, so if you stick to the waymarks you'll never get lost.

As for your second question, if I had to choose, I'd go to the Maison Forestière du Bonifatu to reach Ortu du Piobbu and from there I'd do:

Ortu du Piobbu-Carrozzu
Carrozzu-Haute_Asco
Haute_Asco-Ballone
Ballone-Castel de Verghio
Castel de Verghio-Manganu
Manganu-Pietra Piana
Pietra Piana-Onda-Vizzavona

which is basically all of the northern route.

But, like I wrote in another post, walking on a tight schedule is not recommended because you have to rely too much on everything going too smoothly (so you might want to exit at Castel de Verghio).

Lastly, I do recommend carrying a tent because the huts will be overcrowded during that time slot, unless of course you make your own reservations at the park site (http://www.parc-corse.org) well in advance.

--Michele

Joanna

Posted: Mon, Mar 11, 2013, 8:26

The trail is very well marked, no need for a detailed map or a GPS.

The huts might be full in July/August. To be on the safe side, you can book the spaces here: http://www.parc-corse.org/vad/

But bear in mind that the tent is a much butter option, as the refuges are very basic, and in the middle of the summer, with all those people drying their used clothes, it air inside will surely get quite unbearable!

Not all the stages on the northern part are accessible by road, so if you plan on doing parts of the trail, you have to check the trail for escape routes:-) All the stages are nice, but the most practical is probably to get yourself driven up to Haut Asco and start from there, this would give you 6 stages, the infamous Cirque de la Solitude included.