Will you help me to build an FAQ for this forum?

Marek Prokop

Posted: Wed, Mar 27, 2013, 8:51

Bad news and good news for frequent contributors to this forum.

Bad news first

Yesterday I've found out that a lot of comments (i.e. answers) posted in the past to the forum are missing. Topics created within the last 17 or 18 months are OK, but the older ones, created in or before October 2011, lost most or all answers.

I hate when someone's work is ruined and I hate what's happened here even more, because I value your work a lot. Unfortunately there is no way how to recover these lost comments. They probably disappeared long time ago and I didn't notice that in time. I'm sorry.

Good news

This week we should complete the upgrade of the site to the latest version of the content management system. After that I'll be able to expand the web site and its content again. And the first idea that came to my mind when seeing those lost comments was to build an FAQ (frequently asked questions and answers) for this forum.

Why the FAQ would be useful

A newcomers to the site will find most of the answers to their questions in the FAQ and won't create the same topics over and over again. Even if they create a topic covered by the FAQ, we'll be able to point them to the correct answer.

How could we do it

I will export all topics from the forum (there are about 500 of them), aggregate the same or similar questions together and sort them by frequency. Then I'll insert about the 30 most frequent ones into some collaboration tool (I love Google Docs for such purpose) and we'll elaborate the best possible answers to all of them. Finally I'll make the new FAQ section from them.

I will do all the technical stuff, but I need your help with writing and editing the answers. Will you help me? Do you like the plan, or would you suggest something else?

Thank you very much,
Marek

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, Mar 27, 2013, 9:42

I'm too old to be useful with web page stuff.....but we do tend to be regularly asked the same questions often again and again. The new folks coming to the site don't know what has previously been asked about since it is difficult to navigate through the topics something extra would be useful? I'm sure that a frequently asked questions area would be welcome addition to the site.

--

Gaffr

Michele

Posted: Wed, Mar 27, 2013, 11:49

Marek,
as far as I'm concerned I'll try to give my contribution whenever I feel I have a good answer for that.

--Michele

PS
On a totally different note, I'd like to point out that some stuff in the site pages is outdated. Prices for one. Also I think you should add the Usciolu-Matalza Matalza-Asinau alternative in the GR20 south stages.
Thanks

dinny

Posted: Fri, Mar 29, 2013, 15:47

Hi Marek,
I think your idea to have a FAQ page is a stroke of genius! My experience of Corsica is only from walking the Northern section of the GR20 in Sept 2010, and the Southern section in June 2011, so I haven't the range of knowledge that so many people who use this site have, though I'm happy to help if I can be of any use.
Thanks for making this site, Marek...what would we do without you?!
Dinny

Joanna

Posted: Sun, Mar 31, 2013, 11:22

Great idea, count me in!

Turnertactics

Posted: Wed, Apr 3, 2013, 7:19

Marek

Keep up the good work. Your service is still the most useful GR20 resource available.

--

Alan