Maps 1:100,000 or 1:25,000?

Mills42195

Posted: Wed, May 1, 2013, 17:11

Dear All,

My wife and I are planning a 3 week trip to Corsica during which we are going to tackle the GR20 (S to N). I was just wondering about what maps to purchase and carry. The guides that we have currently read have recommended the IGN 1:25,000 range (# 4253ET, 4252OT, 4251OT, 4250OT, 4249OT) but this will mean carrying quite a bit of extra weight and will be quite pricey (according to German amazon they are 11,95 each). I was just wondering if the 1:100,000 #175 and 176 would do the job?

Grateful for any thoughts/ experiences you may have with either.

Ian

Gaffr

Posted: Thu, May 2, 2013, 6:21

Two map questions in a couple of days:-) I inherited from my daughter six 1:25,000 maps which I took to the GR20. Some of them have the same numbers that you spell out....I suspect that there is a fair overlap with these maps? One 4253 OT was not much use...could have done with a more easterly map. Didn't really use them for navigation much at all since the route is well marked. However we took them with us usually just 2 to help us when travelling some of the other broutes on the island. After doing the Centre Mare Mare the 1:100,000 map was useful for locating day walks when we hired a motor and scuttled around the island for a week. PD's guide has the linear maps of the route and most of the escapes, if needed, from the GR trail. I think that the 1:100,000 map would be useful for more than just a 'corridor' view of the trail. I guess that I would have taken both the IGN 175and 176 had I arranged for these in 2007. I have only the Northerm map and can confirm that it has all of the route and the refuge positions all the way down from Calenzana to Vizzavona.

--

Gaffr

Turnertactics

Posted: Thu, May 2, 2013, 6:58

Ian

The GR20 is so well marked you probably won't need maps. If you haven't seen a red & white marker for a few hundred metres, you know you're off-route and need to back track a bit. That only really happens on boulder fields. Any tricky bits like the Cirque du Solitude have markers every 10 metres. A guide book such as the Cicerone guide is very useful and the maps in it are quite good enough.

--

Alan

Michele

Posted: Thu, May 2, 2013, 14:44

Ian,

I fully agree with Alan. No need of maps at all.
However the French site www.geoportail.gouv.fr offers the possibility to freely visualize and print a very nice topomap.
Here is an example

(ignore)Sorry, I can't seem to be able to turn it into a hyperlink, so you'll have to copy'n'paste manually all lines above.(/ignore)

(Moderator: I have fixed the link. MP)
EDIT:
Thanks Marek!

--Michele

Gaffr

Posted: Thu, May 2, 2013, 9:56

Michele, your links seems to work fine now. Opened up with the area around the highest point, the most beautiful, the terrain (breche de Capitellu) overlooking the two coire lakes.....must get back to Corse again! Don't you think that having a couple of the 1:100,000 maps would just add to the value of the journey and offer more than a 'corridor feel' to the walk on the island?

--

Gaffr

Michele

Posted: Thu, May 2, 2013, 21:35

Roger,

I totally agree with you. I'm myself a map lover and I always like to learn more about the surroundings. So for just orientation purposes it is unnecessary. But if one likes to study their way (and maybe figure out possible detours), by all means it is an added value.

--Michele

Turnertactics

Posted: Thu, May 2, 2013, 16:59

Michele

That's a great link.

I'll print off some maps for myself!

Thanks

--

Alan

Michele

Posted: Thu, May 2, 2013, 21:36

You're welcome, Alan :)

Tarjei

Posted: Sat, May 11, 2013, 15:52

A recurring theme it seems ;).

So, a recurring answer from me:

For greater detail than the 1:100,000 scale and not carrying 6 maps you could purchase the two maps that covers the route from Editions Didier Richard / Données IGN. They are in 1:60,000 scale. The northern part, Haute Corse, is covered by map number 08. The southern part, Corse du sud, is covered by map number 09.
You shouldn't have any problems finding both these maps.

To save further weight, you could use a scissor and cut away the parts of the maps that you don't need.

Tarjei