Check conditions in Person in Bastia?

cjohnson415

Posted: Mon, May 6, 2013, 13:22

Hello,

I will be hiking half of the GR20 starting on May 14. I have already done much research and asked other questions on this forum.

I am primarily seeking the address of a location where I can inquire about snow conditions upon my arrival. The parc blog indicates the southern half is clear of snow, but I want to stop in somewhere to ask about snow right before I go in case the Northern half is also clear since the Northern half is supposed to be more exciting.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

--

Charlie



Gaffr

Posted: Tue, May 7, 2013, 18:49

The only time that we arrived on the island in May was on the 17th in 2009. We stayed overnight in Calenzana and continued from there to reach the Mare e Monti route and beyond. Although we could see snow on the higher mountains from a distance our route didn't, that year, take us close to the snow line.
In the guide book of Paddy Dillon there are phone numbers given for the Gite d'Etape Municipal in Calenzana.
04 95 62 77 13 or 04 95 62 70 08. What about giving these folks a ring from Bastia when you reach the island?...regarding the conditions higher up.
Alternative might be to take the train from Bastia to Vissavona and to start the route travelling Northwards from there.

--

Gaffr



cjohnson415

Posted: Wed, May 8, 2013, 9:20

Thanks Gaffr. That's my plan actually. I'm going to train from Bastia to Vizzavona, and then depending on what I'm up for, I'll either travel North or South.

Thanks!

I'm curious your opinion. I'll have 7 full days of hiking, but can do fewer as well. Would you recommend pushing and doing the northern half (9 stages), which is said to be "more spectacular" or to take my time with the southern half (6 stages).

Thanks!

--

Charlie



Gaffr

Posted: Wed, May 8, 2013, 12:28

A good idea to begin either way from Vizzavona with just seven days to spent on the route. It is always going to difficult to do the nine stages in seven days maybe especially so during May. If you do set off Northwards from Vizzavona you will know immediately if the things are going to straight forward. Before you get to refuge de l'Onda the 2,000 metres level will have been engaged with and that without reaching the top of Monte d'Oru which can be by-passed. There are going Northwards several places where you can escape the route if too much winter is around. Supposing things have gone well for seven days the descent from refuge Carozzu to Bonifatu would allow you to keep within your time on the island and allow you meet your return ferry/plane times.
I am one of those who enjoyed every stage of the GR20 whether it was easy going terrain (Vizzavona to Capanelle and on to col di Verdi) or whether travelling over the scrambly parts. Going Southwards you don't have to do Monte Renosu which would take you just over the 2,000 metres level but thre is still some highground after Prati and after refuge d'Usciolu which should be clear of snow in May. For me the camping at refuge Paliri and the surrounding terrain was a memorable part of the trip...look out for l'Anima Damnata.
I'm sure that whatever you decide you will have a good experience in Corsica....and you can always return for the part that you did not do this time....have a good trip.

--

Gaffr