Going to Corsica this sunday without a real plan

Posted: Wed, May 8, 2013, 17:46

Hi. I will arrive this sunday morning at Bastia Airport and want to hike for a few days. Have to be back there saturday evening 18 may, because my flight depart sunday morning (already booked a hotel for that night).
I will arrive to late to get on the first train to Ajaccio, but I could get on the noon train to Calvi and get off in Ponte Leccia. From there I could try hitchhiking to Corte or Vizzavona. The second train is going to late that day, so I wouldn't be able to hike that day. How about hitchhiking in corsica, is it easy in the low-season?
How about the trail conditions. I'm sure I can't hike all the way to Calenzana, there should be still snow and my time isn't enough. Should I try to go to Castellu di Verghio and then follow the Mare a Mare back to Corte? Would it be worth?
Or should I avoid the GR20 and just hike the mare a mare and its variant in a circle between corte and Evisa? I mean Vizzavona, Soccia, Evisa, Calacuccia, Refuge de la Sega and Corte? Will my time be enough for one of this?
Dont have a real plan and my holiday start in just 4 days, hope you can give me some advice. Thank you.

Seba

Turnertactics

Posted: Wed, May 8, 2013, 19:09

Seba

You could catch the afternoon train to Vizzavona and trek south to Bavella. I haven't done that myself and don't know what the current conditions are but there are low level variants for those sections.

The bus from Bavella doesn't start until June so you'd have to hitch to the coast and pick up the bus back to Bastia.

--

Alan

Posted: Wed, May 8, 2013, 19:52

Thank you Turnertactics. Most informations about this section are in french but I found this site:

http://www.corsica-aventure.com/gb/sejours/gr20-south-guided/12FRA398A/

Seems that I would have a day to less for this route. If I take the afternoon train to Vizzavona I have to stay there that night and can start hiking on monday morning. If its the same heaviness from north to south like from south to north I could be in Bavella saturday evening. If I cant find somebody to take me back to Bastia, I would be in trouble because there is no way to escape by public transportation. And it seems that its not possible to get off this trail one day before reaching Bavella. Could just try to do two stages in one day. Maybe possible. I have some alpine experience, walked at high tibetian platau in up to 5000m altitude for some days without civilisation. But it was a good trail without climbing, just very heavy because of the altitude. It was this one, just to show my experience.

http://de.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=3382646

Also hiked some day in the alps and did some climbing categorie 1 (not serious, just for a couple daytrips). Is that enough for the GR20?

Turnertactics

Posted: Thu, May 9, 2013, 13:11

The most difficult section on the GR20 is the Cirque du Solitude, which is easy scrambling in dry conditions. That is on day 4 going north to south. It's certainly easier than grade 1 climbing.

This website gives a pretty good stage by stage description. It gives Vizzavona to Bavella in 5 stages i.e. Monday to Friday. See: http://corsica.forhikers.com/gr20

The bus from Solenzara on the coast to Bastia runs twice a day. See http://www.corsicabus.org/busPVecchio/PVE_Bastia.html

Have fun!

--

Alan

Posted: Thu, May 9, 2013, 19:38

Thank you Alan. Can you explain why thats the best bet and not to do the Mare a Mare circle?

If I take the 16:30 train I have so sit around in Borgo for about 5.5 hours, any suggestion what to do that time? Have to buy some methylated spirits for my stove, but this will hopefully not take so long.
The camping place in Vizzavona is still next to the train station?

If the weather forecast is correct there will be some rain next week.

I have just a map of Haute-Corte, not for the southern part. Will I need one or are there enough signs? Also have a GPS with me. How about the mobile coverage, will I be out of range for days or is there coverage most of the way?

Gaffr

Posted: Fri, May 10, 2013, 5:31

With such a short time to spend on the island and with the problems getting about at this time of the year. From what I recall Borgo is within a stones throw of the Poretta airport. The start of the nearest Mare a Mare ( there are three of them) is at Moriani which is about 25 or so Kls south of Borgo. You could join the Mare a Mare Nord at Corte and reach Sega refuge (stage 5 the way that we did it) and camp there. You could then reach the Bergerie de Vaccaghia, which is on the GR20, turn northwards to lac de Nino (well marked trail) and get to Col de Vergio. From there use the MM Nord descending to reach the Lake at Albertacce/Calacuccia. Use the MM nord to get back over to Sega again and travel over to the Restonica valley and then easily return to Corte. There are a complex of signs at the sega refuge which will give you directions. I don't think that within your timescale that you could fit more into your stay. Let us know how you got along in Corsica.

--

Gaffr

Turnertactics

Posted: Fri, May 10, 2013, 7:22

Vizzavona to Bavella was just a suggestion given the available public transport options. I haven't done the Mare a Mare but it is a lower level walk, which might be a better option at this time of year depending on how much snow remains. The National Park blog should give you a better idea on that: http://randoblogpnrc.blogspot.it/

Corte is quite accessible and the route up to the refuge de Sega is one I will be taking later in the year and then on to the Refuge de Manganu, but going further south over the Breche de Capitellu might be difficult for you if there's still a lot of snow around.

Going north to Castellu di Verghio and on to the Refuge de Tighjettu might be OK but the next stage is the Cirque du Solitude, which would be quite an undertaking if it was snow covered.

According to the Corsica Bus web site the 16:20 train goes very slowly but straight through to both Corte (18:16) and Vizzavona (19:03). See http://www.corsicabus.org/Train_services/Train1BiaAja.html

--

Alan

Posted: Fri, May 10, 2013, 13:22

Where would I find the more interesting landscape, at the GR20 south or at the Corte -> Refuge de la Sega -> Bergerie de Vaccaghia -> Castellu di Vergio -> Calacuccia -> Refuge de la Sega -> Gorges de la Restonica -> Corte Route?

Stages of the north route looks a little short for my taste, but maybe I'm wrong with that.

Do I need a reservation if I sleep in my tent?

If I can hitchhike from Ponte Leccia to Corte I could make it to Refuge de la Sega in the first night from sunday to monday.

Gaffr

Posted: Fri, May 10, 2013, 15:43

The landscape on the GR20 South picks up considerable after the col de Verde....but if you go over Monte Renosu from Capanelle then this stage becomes much more interesting. Many of the stages on the MM Nord could be combined....depends how you look at things! I have not been up to vaccaghia bergeries from Sega but did stop here for a bit of lunch on the GR20. We followed the normal route for MM Nord which was my suggestion for your descent and the regaining of Sega after Col de Viegio. I have not been over to Restonica from Sega but one of the folks on this forum used the loop usefully last summer when he and many others were driven off the GR20 in bad weather. He linked us to some images of a couple bergeries on the way over to Restonica which looked interesting even in the poor weather he was expeiencing.
No reservations are needed for camping...first come first served.:-)
Oh! the Tavignano gorge mule route is a fine day out in amongst great landscapes.

--

Gaffr

Turnertactics

Posted: Fri, May 10, 2013, 19:17

Sunset is 20:35 on the 12th May. That's enough time to set up camp at Vizzavona and enough time to get most of the way to the Refuge de Sega.

--

Alan

Posted: Fri, May 10, 2013, 20:10

Should I take long underware or is there no need now? :)
Will the Bergeries be open this time of the year? I read Refuge de la Sega will open 01. may every year.

Tarjei

Posted: Fri, May 10, 2013, 22:06

Hi, maybe it's me you're refering to. Since I did walk over to the Restonica valley from Sega last fall after having an unintende break from the GR20 because of the bad weather.
I don't know the snow conditions for that path now. However I don't think the snow would be the biggest problem going there if there is snow. Up from Sega is not a problem, since it's not steep where the path goes. Going down from the Alzo plateau should be ok, it's a bit steeper than the path going up, but should be doable. The biggest problem if there is snow would be to find the correct trail on the top of the plateau I think. I don't know if the Refuge de Sega would be staffed at this time, but I reckon it won't be.
That being said, it was a nice walk. But, it would only take up two of your days though. You could extend it by going up to the Bergeries de Grotelle in the Restonica valley though.
You could read about my walk there and see pictures here.

Tarjei

Posted: Sat, May 11, 2013, 9:47

Still dont know which route I should choose, so will upload both to my GPS and decide tomorrow after arriving at Bastia Airport.
But again the question, will I need long underware or can I leave them home? My backpack is already full with stuff, specially with dried food for one week.

Posted: Sat, May 11, 2013, 14:34

Ok, to late. Ready with packing my backpack. I have 9kg including dried food (1 hot meal for every evening, so I still have to buy something for the daytime). With that and the alcohol I need for my stove I'm up to 10kg+ including long underware and a warm jacket. I'm not sure about the long underware, but maybe better to take it this time of the year.
I think I will try the GR20 south, but will decide tomorrow.

Tarjei

Posted: Sat, May 11, 2013, 14:38

Well, it's May and the weather reports from here (Norway) indicates that the temperature in Corte is about 21 degrees Celsius at day and 11 degrees at night now. Based on that I probably wouldn't bring them. On the other hand, better safe than sorry.

However, I'm not the best to answer. Since I've only been there in late august and september. It was cold during the nights and a long underwear would have helped then (I didn't bring any). But I really think that a warmer sleeping bag would have been better than long underwear for me though. During the day I didn't have any use for it.

If you're unsure, maybe it's better to be safe than sorry and bring it.

Tarjei

Posted: Sat, May 11, 2013, 15:40

I already used my down sleeping bag during -5 degress, that should be enough for the night.
Maybe you are right. Temperature in Corte is 25 degress. Its just at ~500m. If I go up 1000m more could be 10 or 15 degress cooler, but should still be warm enough to not need long underware. Will leave it home.
Should be a rainy trip if the weather forecast is write. From wednesday to sunday rain all the day :(

Michele

Posted: Sat, May 11, 2013, 15:57

For the snow sections I would bring my gaiters as well.

--Michele

Posted: Sat, May 11, 2013, 16:16

Which snow sections? :)

Posted: Sat, May 11, 2013, 17:51

I'm on the way now, will sleep in a airport hotel this night because flight depart so early. Thanks so far, if I have a connection I will update you about the way.

Posted: Sun, May 12, 2013, 14:08

Need your help. I lost my expensive sunglasses at a outdoor shop in Corte. I can't find a telephone number of them. It was just at the market place, center of village. There was only one shop. Can someone find this number for me please? Made it to vizzavone as a hitchhiker. Gr 20 should be OK, almost no snow. Lac de Nino was impossible because of the snow.

Posted: Sun, May 12, 2013, 14:12

Going north from vizavone isn't possible, to much snow.
Only mare a mare north would be possible from corte

Posted: Sun, May 12, 2013, 20:54

Got a black out after reaching refuge Capella. Maybe can't go further.
Walked to fast to get here before sunset, started 4pm at the train station vizzavona.
Good that it happened here and not when I was alone.
Have to wait for tomorrow to see if I can go. There would be no phone signal, so maybe not a good idea. Also could fall down.

This never happened to me before.

Tarjei

Posted: Sun, May 12, 2013, 21:19

Not good to hear, it's not funny to experience something like that.
Sure you did drink enough water and it is not only dehydration?

You mean E Capanelle when you refer to Capella? From there to Bocca di Verdi the GR20 runs through a forest for the most part, and as far as I know there isn't any places where you can fall a long way down from fortunately.

But, as you said, you will know better tomorrow after a nights sleep.
Hope you'll feel better then.

Tarjei

Gaffr

Posted: Mon, May 13, 2013, 4:34

Hello Seba,
Hope that a recovery has been made from the problem that you encountered. I would think that the rush and excitment of getting started on your trek would be contributing to what happened. With a heavy pack the initial walk up to the bocca palmento, six/seven hundred metre height gain, would take a lot out of you....and maybe trying to fit the five hours or so for the stage into a shorter time span have taken their toll. Good nights rest after food and liquids will likely made a huge difference. As Tarjei has said staying on the low down route towards the col de Verde would be advisable. Is there much snow around on Monte Renosu? Are there many folks around travelling on the route?
Take it easy and look after yourself.

--

Gaffr

Posted: Mon, May 13, 2013, 7:28

Feel better now. One sweat attack in the night.
Eat breakfast now. I saw the map, street wouldn't be to far away all the day and next refuge is also at the street. Maybe I can try it. Tomorrow could be complicated, there will be no way to escape, but as long as I have a signal I call for help.
Lot people walk this wash, saw about 15 yesterday.

Gaffr

Posted: Mon, May 13, 2013, 8:17

Seems that you are feeling well this morning. After yesterdays 1000 metres of ascending you will have around 350 metres or so of ascent today....your rucksack will be getting lighter. You will arrive at col di Verdi in no time at all. A good break at the relais maybe some food and refreshment if it is open? Maybe, if going well, the 550 mtrs up and slightly down to reach Prati refuge will be attractive...around a couple of hours or so. Prati area is a superb area for camping. Good to hear that there a few folks around on the walk.

--

Gaffr

Joanna

Posted: Mon, May 13, 2013, 11:37

Hi guys, long time no hear! And greetings from S. Korea!
Are you still looking for your sunglasses? There seem to be two outdoor shops in the old part of Corte,
Omnisports le Camp de Base 04 95 46 09 35
Carla 04 95 46 10 20

If you feel faint, eat some sugar or sugary snack, it tends to help me a lot!

Gaffr

Posted: Mon, May 13, 2013, 20:43

No matter where you are currently on the earth's surface we can always rely upon you for telephone numbers :-) ...even for outdoor kit shops in Corte! I recall your reseaching for all the phone numbers of the refuges etc. along the GR20! I hope that the person presently on the GR20 S. can read this and make some arrangemnts with the shop folks regarding his sunglasses.

--

Gaffr

Posted: Tue, May 14, 2013, 20:03

I give up today, to much snow for me behind refuge prata. Others did it, but I walked back. Snow was to soft for my mind.

Posted: Tue, May 14, 2013, 20:06

And thank you for the shop address. I contact the hotel where I booked the my last night before departure and they found the right shop and the shop send them to the hotel.
Just 200 euro sunglasses, so bad to lost them ;)

Tarjei

Posted: Tue, May 14, 2013, 20:12

Ok. Sorry to hear. How has your trip been so far? If you don't think about the blackout.
What will you do with the rest of your time?

Good to hear you got your expensive sunglasses back.
Knowing that I will either break them or loose them is one reason why I never buys expensive sunglasses ;).

Tarjei

Gaffr

Posted: Tue, May 14, 2013, 20:49

Good top hear that you got up to Prati refuge....you have had a look and given it a try. I guess that you will have to get back to Corte from Col de Verde....maybe be able to hitch a lift down to Ghisoni. It's a narrow road and I think that you can get to Vivario over a high col then you are on the Vizzavona to Corte road. With much good fortune you may find someone able to give you a lift all the way to Corte. You maybe will have time to get up the Sega refuge area taking the Tavignano trail and connect to the Restonica valley if there is not too much snow. Good travelling.

--

Gaffr

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, May 15, 2013, 6:12

After one of our trips to one of the other routes on the island we came to col de Verde (our overnight stopping place when on the GR20) in a hired motor en route to get back up to Capanelle to visit Monte Renosu which we did not reach when on the GR20. Anyway the turn off for Capanelle is at the pont de Casso. Ghisoni is another 10 kls or so along the D69. At the fork in the road on approach to Ghisoni, I think that the road is still the D69, the left fork takes you up to the col de Sorba and then drops down to Vivario.....where there is the N193 or train back to Corte. Hope this is of some help.

--

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, May 15, 2013, 7:16

I walked down to forest Maison from col de Verde and waited there for 3 hours to get a ride. Nobody stop but just before I just build up my tent there some tourists picked me up and take me all the way to Corte. Now thinking about do the mare a mare nord or just to nothing because my feets hurts.

Posted: Fri, May 17, 2013, 18:55

OK I stayed a night at a camping place in corte. Next day going to hospital for a check up and then tried to reach refuge de la sega. Break up with that early afternoon and decided to go back to Corte because my feets need a rest. Stayed the rainy night in hr hotel next to the hospital.
One advice, don't stay there. Such a dirty place.... Not for that money.
Next day tried again reach refuge de la sega, this time succeed even I needed 6 hours for it.
Stay one night in the refuge there. No reservation necessary in low season.
Today did all the way to hotel de vergio. No snow at the ground but when I was up at lac de Ninu heavy snowfall begun. Really heavy.Was no fun to walk down, my clothes was completely wet, I was freezing and short before calling for help because my body temperate was already to low. Statue of sank petru saved me and give me a almost dry place to get in other clothes and wear everything I have with me. View was still under 20 meter but now snow changed to rain.
Run down the left 4km so fast I could and take a hotel room in hotel castell de verdio. All my stuff is wet, hope it will dry over night.
My body don't feel so good now but I'm finish with hiking here now. Tomorrow try to get a ride to bastia and then going home.
At least it would normally to problem to start the gr20 here, no snow at the ground, only very wet so you often have to find a war around the small rivers.

Gaffr

Posted: Fri, May 17, 2013, 20:01

Good to hear that you safe and well Seba. We have all been wet, cold and miserable on mountains especially so here in Scotland where cold wet rain is fairly frequent! Only last weekend on the high ground above Loch Maree I was wet through all of my layers of clothing and feeling uncomfortable.
The area around Lac du Nino would be not the most pleasant place to be cold and wet....it is a very open area and I would imagine unpleasnat in those conditions. On the day in 2007,24th,June we had very warm weather and stopped at the bergeries de Vaccaghia for an open air lunch there. That's the way it is in the mountains....the conditions can be very different a few days apart.
I recall the wayside oratory at San Petru. I have an digital image of my wife resting there before we moved on to the Ninu area....there is also a large electricy pylon hear to the small building.
You must be happy to be at the hotel Castel di Vergio. We camped there inside the fenced in area....in corsica they fence in the campers and the animals look in on us.:-). The meal at the hotel was more than adequate.
I hope what you experienced in Corse has not dampened your wish to hike in the mountains and maybe next time you come perhaps you arrive in the middle of June when the weather is usually more settled.

--

Gaffr

Posted: Fri, May 17, 2013, 20:17

Yes the big electricity thing was next to San petru. You couldn't see 20 meters, so much snow was there and coming 90°, so it was almost dry behind the statue. Thought about making a fire there to heat up but decided to continue walking.
Meal at the hotel wasn't to good at least its a nice and warm place.

Gaffr

Posted: Fri, May 17, 2013, 20:42

You must have one of these 'new phones' a real 'deus ex machina' that does everything with comms. Me I just have a clunking old PC which is just fine for an OAP.
You must let us all know what you think of the parts of the GR20 that you have walked over and of course the very fine Tavignano valley and the link up to the GR20 from Sega which I have not travelled over...and of course do you think that you will return to travel over the entire route...Calenzana down to Conca?
Your descent from Col di Veirgo can be done on a section of the Mare a Mare Nord but I guess you won't have time for this? So a hitch down to the N195?...don't think that you have to reach Corte again. Then you have the choice of more hitching to Bastia or to take the wee train from somewhere near to Ponte Lecchia...change of trains here...PL is where the trains go two ways...one track to Calvi and the other to Bastia.
By the way did you recover your 'expensive sunglasses' from the shop/hotel in Corte?

Good travelling.

--

Gaffr

Michele

Posted: Sat, May 18, 2013, 6:17

Seba,

it would be interesting if you could show us some pictures of your journey during the off season.
Thanks

--Michele

Posted: Sat, May 18, 2013, 9:52

Yes Monday I could upload pictures.
Was not possible to get a ride up the mountains from castell de vergio, just no cars go there. So I get down to Evita and try to hitchhike to Ajaccio. Impossible, also just a few cars. Now I'm in a mini bus, 12,50 Euro to Ajaccio. Then take the train to Bastia. This regular mini bus is not listed in the internet, its transport the past through the villages, so stop in Evita vicu sagune... At all post stations.
I got a cold and feel bad.

Michele

Posted: Sat, May 18, 2013, 11:29

I'm sorry Seba to hear of all your misadventures!!

Posted: Sat, May 18, 2013, 14:48

Was in Ajaccio Hospital. Maybe a flew, maybe not. They x rayd me but couldn't found what they searched for.
Hospital is like I would expect it in a third world country, not in France. Wasn't clean, wasn't sterile... Long time to wait even as a pay cash costumer.
I'm in train now, should take about two hours to reach cazamozza.
Train is modern, they even have power outlets.

Gaffr

Posted: Sat, May 18, 2013, 17:23

You are really are having a rough time Seba! The trains have been updated since we last used them on the island in fact the new trains were still in the protective wraps sitting in a siding in Ajaccio when we were there in 2009. I am surprised about the hospital standard since the French are very proud of the Health system, my wife who is French, constantly reminds me of this! It could be that the upgrading has not yet been fully carried out in Corse? but that does not explain the lack of cleanliness. Still lack of sterility has been found in some of the Hospitals in GB in recent times. Of course Casamozza is just short distance from Bastia Poretta airport. You have never said but may I ask where are you from....in Europe?

--

Gaffr

Posted: Sat, May 18, 2013, 20:04

Allemagne... So in a Hotel near bastia airport now. My sunglasses waited for me at the reception.
Every German hospital have a higher standard than what I saw in Corte and Ajaccio. Just dirty, the stuff smoked inside the waiting room, the walls was full of spiderweb, no free water, only dirty toilets... Things fall on the ground and they still used them... No handwash... No, I didn't saw that in China before, so I never expected that in france.
Also other things, like pollution, recycling... All so far away from my country. They have a wonderful island but if you see what even the Refuge Stuff put in the river, like construction waste...

Gaffr

Posted: Sun, May 19, 2013, 7:41

You are right Seba the island of Corsica is a real gem and does require to be looked after more sensitivley. I can only speak for the travelling of foot that I have done on the island. We are really just tourists with rucksacks on our back and there is much more we can can do to keep keep the countryside tidier when we travel. The Italian gentleman Michele who writes on this forum, and his own blog thing, has a many things to say about these problems. We did, at times, come across the uncaring attitudes of folks travelling on the GR20....all in a rush to fit the wonderful journey imto a couple of weeks holiday.
On the other hand, like yourself, we found that Corsicans were honest and trusting. You had your sunglasses waiting for you to reconnect with them a week after you left them in a shop! We, running short of cash not being able to use our credit card, were told to hand it to a relative of the gite owner who runs a camping site down on the coast and that the paymemt would be concluded.
I get the feeling that there are agencies of the government working hard on the island to improve the standards of hygiene and wellbeing. I have never been to any other island in the Mediterranean but is the untidy thing something of the South? I have only been to Norway but I am led to believe that Germany and Scandinavia have very high standards in this respect....and of course not forgetting the Swiss who make a religion of tidyiness.....even I have been tapped on the shoulder in a Swiss campsite for using the wrong bin for a type of waste litter.:-)

--

Gaffr

Posted: Sun, May 19, 2013, 11:45

Yes corsican people are a lot nicer than French people. Everyone want to help and they even let me in their car with the key plugged while they walked away for a while. Just 10 minutes after arriving I had the first man who want to take me to Ponte Leccia. I didn't asked him, I just walked on the street near the airport to my hotel to leave some clothes there. OK, I was forced to wait about an hour because he had to pick up his wife from a later flight, but very friendly.
First day hitchhiking was very easy, all was friendly. If you stay on the mainstreet it seems to be very easy to go all the way to Ajaccio for free. I never paid for transportation till the last day where I was at a place where almost no cars was and I hadn't a choice.
The old man at Refuge de La Sega was unfriendly. I helped him to carry his construction waste because it was to heavy for him. After I went to bed he told other guests I should come to him to pay for the night. It was 10pm or so, he could say that earlier or let me pay next day. But no, I was forced to pay that night before sleep...
At least most people are a lot friendlier than in other parts of France.

Posted: Mon, May 20, 2013, 12:12

Here they are: http://www.abload.de/gallery.php?key=z2OtZsau

Michele

Posted: Mon, May 20, 2013, 17:39

Thanks for the pictures Seba. I can see the weather was really bad but also visibility was an issue. The picture you took after Refuge Prati didn't show impassable snow though. But the one you took at the lake it seems it was about to rain cats and dogs .... brrrrr

--Michele

Posted: Mon, May 20, 2013, 13:23

For me the snow was to instable after Refuge de Prati, but you cant see that at the picture because I made it after going back some snow fields. There was one where I couldnt find a way around and the snow was very soft because the sun shine on it a lot that day. Weather was good most of the time, just rain on wednesday night where I slept in a hotel in Corte and on the last day where I was up at lac de nino. But it was no rain, it was snow up there, with heavy wind. Didnt take a picture of the badest situation because I just want to leave the mountain soon. Snow was hurting, so fast was it.

Gaffr

Posted: Mon, May 20, 2013, 16:03

Recognised some of the locations from your images Seba. The Capanelle complex, the Bocca d'oro between col di Verdi and Prati, bocca a Reta near to Ninu and of course the Lac du Ninu
The weather did not look too pleasant with rain and low clouds and wind. We have a old scottish word for these conditions....dreich!..hope thats the correct spelling. :-).

--

Gaffr

Posted: Mon, May 20, 2013, 18:56

Anyone know the name of the hard corsican cheese you get at the refuges? Seems to be a special kind. I bought one in Ajaccio in a rush just to have something with me when I fly home next day, but its seems to be a different one and maybe better not to eat because it was out of a fridge for 24 hours and now its very very stinky and don't look to good.