The difficulties price-wise of getting to Corse from the highlands of Scotland.

Gaffr

Posted: Fri, May 17, 2013, 12:43

Gaffr.
All this stuff on the Forum of travel in Corse had me trying on-line this morning for flights etc. to reach Bastia. My appetite for the Island had been wetted once again! However, for me, with a journey to get to Edinburgh. Then a Saturday evening flight to Gatwick....overnight at Gatwick with a 0730 flight to Bastia poretta. I could walk up to Casamozza from the airport to stretch the legs. Catch the Sunday train to reach Calvi via Ponte Lecchia. I am now set up for a start on the route on Monday. Well at least I can reach Calenzana. The big problem is the price of the return flight from Bastia back to Gatwick...around three times the price of the outgoing price. I am still searching.
I think as I have said before the old days of the relatively expensive BA Sunday flights to Bastia at least with that one you could reach Calvi by train on the same day.
A few times recently we have had a flight to Nice then overnight at a travel lodge type of place prior to the ferry to Bastia the following day arriving as darkness was falling. Overnight at a hotel in Bastia. Next day train or bus to the start of of our route. It is like four days of travelling before starting the walking so I did not really want to go this track again.
Anyone with some other ideas of reaching the Island?
France or Italy must the ideal place to live for access to Corse. :-)

--

Gaffr

Turnertactics

Posted: Fri, May 17, 2013, 15:47

Gaffr

There are overnight ferries from both Nice and Marseille if you time it right. Can you fly from Edinburgh or Glasgow and book a cabin on the ferry? The ferries are heavily subsidised so they're a good option. Ryanair fly Edinburgh to Marseille. EasyJet fly Glasgow to Nice.

Me and my brother are heading for Corsica in July via Nice on a daytime ferry but on the return trip to Marseille, we're on an overnight ferry, which means we've got plenty of time to get to Bastia, a cheap ferry from there to Marseille and arrive early in the morning feeling nice and rested.

I hope that helps.

--

Alan

Gaffr

Posted: Sat, May 18, 2013, 8:12

Thanks TT,
My wife did look into the approach using the Marseilles ferry...I think that was to L'lle Rousse which is not a million kls. from Calvi. The problem there was that the flight arrival and the ferry departure were on separate days...so it meant staying in the city. There was another approach but it meant a change of both flight and airport around Paris....it didn't appear that there was suffient time to get from CDG to the one on the south side of the city. What with the two hours before the flight/check-in stuff! It would seem that you would have get a lift in a very fast motor.

--

Gaffr

Fiona Mack

Posted: Sat, May 18, 2013, 12:46

We are up in Aberdeen and I too have spent many frustrating weeks trying to find cheap options. I concluded that the cheapest is always the longest option and as we only have 2 weeks I eventually worked out our optimum choice was to fly to Manchester and get Flybe direct to Calvi (this is only a Sunday flight) but gives us time in Calvi to pick up gas cartridge, food, etc. Found a cheap B & B Calvi for Sunday then 6am taxi Monday morning to Calenzana.

Turnertactics

Posted: Sat, May 18, 2013, 17:34

Gaffr

I'm sure there are ferries to Porto Vecchia and Ajaccio from Marseille plus the Bastia to Marseille route that we're booked onto.

--

Alan

Gaffr

Posted: Sun, May 19, 2013, 7:54

Thanks FM,
I shall give the Manchester route via Flybe a go today.....It could work out just fine for me with an overnight bus to Manchester....Inverness-Glasgow-Manchester?... and the early flight to Calvi...if available...and with any luck, through the booking system, I could well be tucked up in the campsite in Calvi on Sunday evening and ready to go on the Monday morning. Thanks for the tip! I guess we shall just have to avoid the end of June into early July with the Tour de France race pedalling through the island.:-)

--

Gaffr

Gaffr

Posted: Sun, May 19, 2013, 10:59

FM,
Couldn't do anything with the Manchester to Calvi flights...they seem to be either one week or two week deals.... but ok with Manchester to Bastia. Well at least I can get to the island and to Calvi within one day. You are right it is a bit of a nightmare getting there from futher up into Scotland.

--

Gaffr

Turnertactics

Posted: Sun, May 19, 2013, 11:50

Fiona

Some interesting new routes with Flybe from my nearest airport (Cardiff) as well - Islay, Barra, Geneva etc buy unfortunately not Corsica. Who's the Manchester to Calvi route with?

--

Alan

Fiona Mack

Posted: Sun, May 19, 2013, 14:59

Alan/Gaffr

I booked flight only through Corsican Places (same plane/same price as booking direct with Flybe). Unfortunately these charter flights are only available Sundays. Did this in April so prices and availability may have changed now. We will be in Corsica during the TDF but hopefully far away in the mountains ....

For those wanting to avoid or catch the TDF here is a link to a map of the Corsican stages
http://www.letour.com/2012/TDF/COURSE/us/grand_depart_2013.html

Cheers
Fiona

Turnertactics

Posted: Mon, May 20, 2013, 2:40

Fiona

Thanks

I see they do Bristol to Bastia with BMI as well on a Sunday to Sunday return basis. That would have done me nicely for my trip in August/September & no more expensive than the trip I've booked from Bristol to Nice & return via Marseille.

The flights aren't on the Flybe website.

--

Alan