Booking bergeries/gites/hotels - ie non-refuges

no95

Posted: Tue, May 21, 2013, 14:51

Ok so the bergeries/refuges thread talks about how to book the refuges on the national park website and with those tips and Google Translate I have refuges booked. Hooray!

But what about booking gites and hotels? Eg Bocca di Verdi, Capannelle, Castellu di Verghio, Bergeries de Ballone...

Can I ask whether people have found it necessary to call up and pre-book these as well? I'm about to begin walking in early June.

Joanna

Posted: Tue, May 21, 2013, 17:48

We stayed at the hotels in Asco and castel di vergio without booking in advance. We camped by the other private refuges/bergeries, so cannot tell you for sure, but I don't think you need to book them. In fact, Ballone does not seem to have any phone number, so you can't book even if you wanted to!

Turnertactics

Posted: Tue, May 21, 2013, 19:33

We stayed at the Castellu di Verghio at the end of August without booking. There are bunk rooms in the basement or plenty of posher rooms upstairs. The plentiful hot showers were particularly welcome and the food was great.

We also camped at the Bergeries de Ballone without booking. Great dinner there but we missed a party at the refuge de Tighjettu. The guardian there has a reputation for getting a party going. Everyone we met the next day had a hangover...

Ballone also had pop up tents for an overflow. If full, retrace your steps to the refuge as it isn't far.

--

Alan

Tarjei

Posted: Tue, May 21, 2013, 20:23

Actually, it appears that Ballone does have a phone number: 06 12 03 44 65 (although it looks like it's a number that goes to Albertacce).

Apparently they have a website:

http://www.bergeriedeballonegr20.com/index.php

Where you also can book.

Tarjei