Reservation gites

Davy

Posted: Thu, May 30, 2013, 8:00

Hello,

First time on this forum!

Within 2 weeks me, myself, my girlfriend and dog, will be leaving for Corsica.
I know you can reserve for the gite on the GR 20 on the internet, but then you have to pay with Visa. And we don't have Visa, so we just want to go to the gites, and see if there is any room.
We don't need a bed, we'll be taking our tent with us. Just food, and a cold shower.
Does anyone know, if this will be a problem when arriving in gites??

Davy

cpt_pickard

Posted: Thu, May 30, 2013, 8:40

As far as I know you do not need to pre-book a camping space for your own tent...

Anyone can confirm?

Dan

Michele

Posted: Thu, May 30, 2013, 8:48

Yes. Just show up, pay for the tent and find a suitable pitch.

--Michele

Joanna

Posted: Fri, May 31, 2013, 4:22

Dogs are not allowed in the refuges anyway, so camping is much better for you.
But please do some research as to taking the dog, if you haven't already - not only will you need to lover him/her on the rope several places, but you'd need some kind of booties for the paws, and carry all the dogfood with you.

Davy

Posted: Fri, May 31, 2013, 9:54

Hello,

About the paws, are you sure about that? It might be because you have a dog, or you know some people who have done the trail with there dog?
The only thing so far I have bought for the paws, is wax, which was adviced in an experienced dogfood shop. But they also sel these booties. So if you think this is really necessary, I will buy these.
We'll not be doing the whole track. We'll be walking from Conca to Vizzavona, 6 to 7 days.

Thanks for replying.

Does anyone know: is there always sufficient supplies of food in the gites? We'll be taking only some food for about two days.

Normally, over the island, I have read that they are quite dogfriendly.

We'll be taking an autocar as well as train. Are dogs allowed on public transport??

In spain this was terrible!!

Thanks

dunit

Posted: Fri, May 31, 2013, 10:55

Hi Davy

Just in case you haven't already done so, type 'dog' into the forum's search bar. One or two intersting threads have cropped up previously.

I'm sure you realise that the whole of the GR20 is on rock / stone / gravel which will be unrelenting for paws, I guess it comes down to how much consistent rock work your friend has done to toughen up those pads. Maybe the pooch boots as a precaution might be an idea?
GR20 south has very few, if any, sections that a dog would not be able to negotiate ( the awkward bits are in the north), however, a harness would be a sensible precaution just in case.

You may also find some other dogs along the trail, mainly the guardian's own. There was one at Paliri last year that was a bit aggressive.

Dunit

--

Dunit

dunit

Posted: Fri, May 31, 2013, 10:55

Hi Davy

Just in case you haven't already done so, type 'dog' into the forum's search bar. One or two intersting threads have cropped up previously.

I'm sure you realise that the whole of the GR20 is on rock / stone / gravel which will be unrelenting for paws, I guess it comes down to how much consistent rock work your friend has done to toughen up those pads. Maybe the pooch boots as a precaution might be an idea?
GR20 south has very few, if any, sections that a dog would not be able to negotiate ( the awkward bits are in the north), however, a harness would be a sensible precaution just in case.

You may also find some other dogs along the trail, mainly the guardian's own. There was one at Paliri last year that was a bit aggressive.

Dunit

--

Dunit

Joanna

Posted: Fri, May 31, 2013, 11:13

I don't have a dog, but having looked at this blog, and especially on a photo of the booties after just a few days, I suppose you'd actually need more then one pair!

http://www.berglucht.be/Ora_bergen/CorsicaGR20.htm

France is very dog-friendly, especially compared to Norway! Dogs are allowed into restaurants and bars, and I've seen a dog on the train. I don't know about the buses.

Yes, there is enough food in the refuges (human food that is). We never carried anything, expept for bisquits and nuts.

Davy

Posted: Fri, May 31, 2013, 12:09

Thanks for this usefull information.

My dog is quite a brave, agile dog. A mucher better climber than I am.
Though it might be usefull just in case to buy booties. She won't like them, she likes to run naked ;-)
If have a good harness bought especially for the trail.

I'll check previous information.

Thanks

raincoal

Posted: Mon, Jun 3, 2013, 11:27

Hi everyone,

I have no dog, but I'm having some headaches with the reservation system... I'm traveling with a friend, we leave on Saturday 8th June, and we're still thinking what would be best: taking our own tent, or renting one at every refuge if available.

So the big question: is it compulsory to book your whole trip beforehand even for the rented tents? Has anyone got experience hiking without a reservation for one of the to-rent tents and being turned down even when there were free ones left? (in that case, I would bring my own despite the weight).

I just had a look at the park's official blog, but recent insights on the weather are also welcome.

Cheers

Joanna

Posted: Mon, Jun 3, 2013, 11:26

you have to book on-line, and pay in advance, and there is no internet acces on the trail, so yes, you have to book all gites in advance. To ensure the flexibility, take a tent with you and camp.

raincoal

Posted: Mon, Jun 3, 2013, 11:30

I just noticed that my comment wasn't clear enough and edited it at the same time you replied... Do you know perhaps if you'll be turned down if you try to get a rented tent without a reservation even if the camp is half empty? Thank you!

Joanna

Posted: Mon, Jun 3, 2013, 12:11

i did see people who did not book the refuge being offered a tent instead, so i guess booking the tents is not essential.

Michele

Posted: Mon, Jun 3, 2013, 14:20

On the other hand, if all tents are booked you'll be asked to wait until 6 pm in case some people with a booked tent don't show up. But I'd just play safe and bring my own.

--Michele