Bastia -> Conca Sunday 9th June

Tom_turns_a_stone

Posted: Thu, May 30, 2013, 22:30

Hi,

we (2) will arrive at Poretta at Sat 8th at 6pm and stay somewhere for the night.
Will try for GR20 South-North is why we need to get to Conca.
Unfortunately Sundays do not seem to be the best days to travel by public transport.

If you happen to be around Bastia on june 9th with destination Conca I'd be happy to hear.

Cheers

Tom

Gaffr

Posted: Fri, May 31, 2013, 8:36

Hello,
I thought that arriving to Poretta on a Sunday was a bit of a problem but at least having a morning arrival I do have time to sort something out. I am a camper and the only camping that I can see is further out away from the main road towards the lagoon. I am going to try to hitch a lift and get down to Moriani where I know there is camping....I have stayed here before.... and the monday morning bus stops and picks up here. Obviously an evening Saturday arrival can be perhaps a bigger problem!
I am a week ahead of you folks but we both miss out on the Sunday bus down to Sainte Lucie de Porto Vecchio which as far as I can see begins service on the 15th, of June.

--

Gaffr

Turnertactics

Posted: Fri, May 31, 2013, 18:05

Tom

The nearest camp site is Camping Les Sables - It looks to be about an hour's walk south along the coast. That's where we are heading in August when our ferry arrives at about 9pm but on a Saturday. That's a small distance compared to the GR20 distances but not a happy thought at that time of night maybe.

The bus the next morning is quite early at about 8:30am
See http://www.corsicabus.org/busPVecchio/PVE_Bastia.html

--

Alan

Gaffr

Posted: Fri, May 31, 2013, 18:59

If your camping les sables is the same as les sables rouge camping (a couple of kls from the ferry port) that we stayed at near Bastia it would not be the most convenient for Tom arriving at Poretta Bastia which is around 16-17 Kls south of Bastia?
Fine if coming in on the ferry to Bastia. At night not all that easy to find. We went around the small boat harbour (many restaurants spilling out onto the keyside) and then up through the ancient part of the town then we traversed down a diagonal path to reach the main road ....this road can't be followed from Bastia since it reaches this point through a tunnel under the old town. Path is on the other side of the busy road which can be followed to a junction then under the bridge to follow the rough beach area to the walled camp site.
There are small stations close by to the camping to get on the train to reach say Calvi.
Not a convenient camping place if you have to take the bus which would mean going back into Bastia again.....I don't think that the bus down the East coast stops until it reaches the junction of the airport road and the N193.

--

Gaffr

Gaffr

Posted: Sat, Jun 1, 2013, 15:13

To Turnertactics,
You may be interested in the IGN maps of France/Corse from the site of www.walkingclub.org.uk
under paper maps see IGN (France). Great detail down to street 1:10.000 and greater which you can have up on the PC screen. Of course these may be available elsewhere for veiwing but I found them useful. I was trying to describe the way we took out to the camping at Les Sable Rouges....it even shows up the wee diagonal path we took back down to the main road...in grey!
It also shows up the tunnel which not only burrows under the citadel area but actually under the old port waters!
Could not,however, find a way of printing the on-screen map details.

--

Gaffr

Turnertactics

Posted: Sat, Jun 1, 2013, 16:18

Gaffr

Thanks.

I've traced the route to Camping Les Sables Rouge on Google maps and street view.

There's a footpath link to the lower road that goes round the bay, so I don't think we'll have any problems. I've printed out maps from the link Michele gave us recently.

I take your point about convenience to the airport though.

I have used a campsite behind the airport called Camping L'Esperanza, which is about a 25/30 minute walk. Turn left out of the terminal and left at the next T junction. It's on Google maps and walking distance to the beach. It's quite a reasonable campsite. They do food as well but nothing fancy.

--

Alan