Doubling stage?

JackMiller

Posted: Fri, May 31, 2013, 1:37

Hello,

I will be doing the GR20 mid-July and was wondering which stages would be the most compatible to double. I am not set on doubling but I would like to maybe get some feedback and have it as an option so I could spend a couple extra days on the beach ;)

Also, I won't be getting my cicerone guide for a couple weeks. Could someone throw out some names of much recommended places to see on or detouring hikes off the trail. It would be great to get some head start research.

Thanks,
Jack

--

trekkin north

Joanna

Posted: Fri, May 31, 2013, 4:19

There are a lot of threads about doubling, just browse the forum.

The only place you can visit without leaving the trail and lenghting the daily hike considerably is Corte, but for this you'd need an extra day in Vizzavona.

Gaffr

Posted: Fri, May 31, 2013, 6:28

Hello,
Regarding other places and detouring hikes it would depend upon how much time that you have to spend on the island. If you are doubling up on stages to have more time at sea level at the end of the GR20 I would guess that you on the two or maybe three weeks stay in Corsica? Maybe not too much time for exlporing elsewhere?
Joanne suggested a trip down to Corte on the train from Vizzavona.....we had a day off but taking the train westwards down to Ajaccio.
When you get your copy of the Cicerone guide PD does give lots of 'off trail' routes mainly as suggested escapes from the GR20. Several of the other long distance routes cross over the GR20 at l'Onda, bocca di Laparo and col di Vergio. The area between lac du Ninu, Manganu and Petra Piana has some celebrated mountain landscapes of which I have only just scratched the surface of.

--

Gaffr

Turnertactics

Posted: Sun, Jun 2, 2013, 12:30

Jack

Don't double any of the early stages to see how you get on and to build yourself up to a decent level of mountain fitness. If you're not pressed for time, plan as you go along. There may also be opportunities to do three days routes over two, particularly if you're camping.

One detour I wished I'd done was Monte Cinto. There's a thread on the forum about spending the night on the summit.

--

Alan

JackMiller

Posted: Sun, Jun 2, 2013, 18:37

Thanks for the tips guys,

Alan, after you mention Monte Cinto I came across the "Possible side trip" section on the front page which was exactly what I was looking for.

I searched google and the forum for camping at monte cinto summit but couldn't find anything. If you have the link, I would really appreciate you posting it.

Also, if I have time and my legs permit, I am going to look into doing the Paglia orba and monte rotondo for a morning/evening trip.

Thanks again, much appreciated

Jack

--

trekkin north

Turnertactics

Posted: Mon, Jun 3, 2013, 13:53

Jack

Sorry, I'm getting confused.

The thread is for Monte Rotondo: http://corsica.forhikers.com/forum/p/24597

Bivvy rather than camp as well.

--

Alan