Which trail with an infant

PiotrPtak

Posted: Sat, Jun 1, 2013, 16:00

Hello everybody,

I'm thinking about going to Corsica for two weeks in mid august with my wife and our one year old son. We'd like to do some trekking there, but I was not able to find any advice about trails suitable for going with a small kid on my back ( in a special child carrier). Was thinking about aether Mare a Mare Centre, Mare a Mare Sud or Mare e Monti Sud or a couple of one day treks (?). We'd expect some beautiful landscapes and decent accomodation every day. The trail has to be safe to walk with a kid on my back ( no ladders or ropes). What would you recommend?
Thanks

--

Piotr Ptak

Gaffr

Posted: Sat, Jun 1, 2013, 16:37

Hello,
The hot sun would be a huge consideration when walking with an infant! The Mare a Mare Centre crosses the GR20 on the third day and it is a fair way down to Cozzano. After Cozzano which has a good gite there are other gites with good food at the next two stages. The terrain towards Col St George does not have much shade from the sun. Mare a Monti Sud we found the least interesting route but nevertheless good villages and places to stay. Mare a Mare Sud has a very large number of guided groups so accommodation was difficult if not booked in advance. You could miss out on the stage to the higher ground...around 1100mtrs...to Jellico perhaps. Don't miss out on a visit to Zonza a little way below the Bavella col.
Daywalks centred around Corte maybe!
I'm leaving for Corse this evening so can't type more.

--

Gaffr

PiotrPtak

Posted: Sun, Jun 2, 2013, 17:58

Thank you for your answer. The sun won't be a big problem, the child carrier has a special hood to hide the kid from direct sunshine. Does the Mare a Mare Centre or any of the tree trails have any difficult stages with ropes or ladders? So you'd suggest Mare a Mare Sud? Where to book accommodation?

--

Piotr Ptak

Gaffr

Posted: Tue, Jun 25, 2013, 7:52

The only topo guide that we have used on 'the other trails' has been the Corse 'entre mer et montagne' an official guide out of the Parc naturel regional de Corse. Has the maps, stages etc and the telephone numbers of the various gites and places to stay en-route. All in French but even my poor French can handle this!
www.ffrandonnee.fr
Although we purchased the guide in a shop near to the tourist office in Moriani.

--

Gaffr