Bastia - Calvia Sunday 23rd June

acooper

Posted: Thu, Jun 13, 2013, 19:51

Hi everybody,

Arriving into Bastia on Sunday 23rd June from Manchester on the flight that gets in at 1045. Trying to figure out how to get from there to Calvi, where we're staying for the night before taxiing to Calenzana early the next morning. Looks as if trains and buses are extremely few and far between - does anybody have any further info? There are two of us, but even if we found more people I get the impression a taxi from Bastia to Calvia will still be insanely expensive. Is anybody going that way?

Alternatively, is hitchhiking a possibility, do you think?

Many thanks all!

Harry

Turnertactics

Posted: Sun, Jun 16, 2013, 11:58

Harry

There's are two trains on a Sunday but you'll probably clear the airport too late for the earlier one.

See http://www.corsicabus.org/Train_services/Train3BiaCly.html

--

Alan

afn20

Posted: Sun, Jun 16, 2013, 21:54

Hi Harry

I think I'm on the same plane as you (Easyjet). I'm catching the 1747 from Bastia train station to Calvi. The summer bus timetable for that route isn't released yet, but last year those buses didn't start on Sundays until July.

Regards
ali

acooper

Posted: Mon, Jun 17, 2013, 11:30

Ah yes, that is indeed the same flight. I guess it will have to be the 1747 - bit of a pain though as would like to be in bed by 6pm for the big day the following morning! Super excited now - I hope you have a good GR20, assuming that that's what you're there for. Possibly see you on the train/plane!

All best,
Harry

Dave 54

Posted: Wed, Jun 19, 2013, 20:53

Hi we are arriving on the 25th aug dreaded sunday flight easyjet and are hiring a car to calvi for £75. there are 6 of us and are hiring 2 cars. you could ask someone to share in the car to save costs as we might do the same on the day. Google car3000.

--

davvey

Turnertactics

Posted: Thu, Jun 20, 2013, 15:37

The first day isn't too bad if you start out when it's still cool and you have plenty of water (4L probably. Less on other days). There are a couple of water sources on the lower slopes if you have water purifiers. Just rest up when you get to the refuge.

If you do what we did and head up the trail at 3pm after hiring a car and dropping it off at Calvi airport, then it is rather tough and you probably won't make the refuge. Camp at Col de Salto if you get stuck. Lovely spot.

--

Alan

acooper

Posted: Fri, Jun 21, 2013, 19:25

Hi there,

Thanks for the tips, that's super. We've hired a car from Bastia Airport at 1130 and will be driving to Calvi via Bastia train station. If anybody would like to hop in we could split the price. There are two of us and it cost £65.

Thanks,
Harry