Fox alert in Hotel di Vergio GR20 Stage.

mattia

Posted: Sun, Jun 23, 2013, 14:35

Hi.
We just walked a GR20 North and now we taking a 2 day break before starting a South.
Just wanted to let you guys future hikers know that at the camping in Hotel di Vergio foxes are stealing from people!
We lost a new camelbag and boots (that was found later). Camel Bag was destroyed.
Others lost food etc.
Be careful :)

--

mattia

Turnertactics

Posted: Sun, Jun 23, 2013, 16:20

Mattia

Thanks for the warning. I recall previous posts from here about tents being ripped open. Initially blamed on pigs but I think it was the foxes that were to blame.

There was a pretty audacious fox at the Refuge de Manganu too. It had my cheese!

Anything aromatic like that, keep in a plastic box outside your tent.

--

Alan

cpt_pickard

Posted: Thu, Jun 27, 2013, 9:35

Just got back. Confirm the fox on Manganu and Vergio. On Manganu it took our garbage bag (idiot), on Vergio it bit a dude - ambulances and stuff.

Dan

John Stafford

Posted: Tue, Sep 17, 2013, 21:24

Me too! Just returned form Corsica yesterday - during the trip I too lost cheeses to the foxes of Vergio and Manganu. I should have heeded the warnings on this forum before I went........

--

John

hikelite

Posted: Tue, Sep 17, 2013, 22:51

What can I do in order to avoid these?

Thanks

Turnertactics

Posted: Wed, Sep 18, 2013, 7:25

Consume all your cheese and meat products before you go to bed or maybe bring a sealable plastic box to put them in might work. Also leave them outside the tent weighed down with rocks so that your tent doesn't get trashed.
Suspending aromatic food from a tree would be best but I don't think there are any at Vergio and not many at Manganu.
Another option at Vergio is to treat yourself to a proper bed in the hotel. The basement bunk rooms aren't expensive.

--

Alan

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, Sep 18, 2013, 8:48

They shoot these wee pests where I live.....I had my share of these critters at Bonifatu in 2009.

There are reasonably sized birch trees within the camping area at Vergio and across the road there is a forest full of much bigger pines.
The other 'protection' is to have a dog with you, maybe preferably a hound, of which there were two spending the night inside/beside one of the tents when I was there this summer.....no trouble from the renard during that night!

--

Gaffr

hikelite

Posted: Wed, Sep 18, 2013, 10:30

Thanks.
The hotel looks like a fine solution on Vergio but I think it will be closed by the time I'll get there. Do you think they will leave a winter room or something? Do you know about other safe places to sleep by the end of the season around Vergio and Manganu?

Michele

Posted: Wed, Sep 18, 2013, 13:09

On your way to Manganu you might want to spend the night at the Bergerie de Vaccaghja (no reports of foxes from that place) which is some 30 minutes before Manganu.

At Verghio I remember having seen trees further down a little off the main camping ground. A good hammock might do the trick there.

--Michele

cpt_pickard

Posted: Wed, Sep 18, 2013, 13:53

The fox problem should not be overestimated. The bitch is a trouble, sure, but people regularly camp in areas where the same behaviour is to be observed in BEARS. So let's get real.

No yummy stuff around your tent.
Absolutely no food or food smelling stuff IN your tent.
All these items placed in a bag hanging somewhere up.

Manganu has buildings and other structures like showers. Hang it there. The same goes for Vergiu, which also has a nice fence. No real issue, actually.

Dan

Michele

Posted: Wed, Sep 18, 2013, 16:38

Hmmm, this fox's behavior is based on the knowledge that she/he will **always** find food inside the tents pitched in those places. Surely smell plays a huuuuge role in this, but I wouldn't be so sure that by not having any food/smells inside my tent the fox would just leave me alone. Just saying.

--Michele

John Stafford

Posted: Wed, Sep 18, 2013, 20:08

After losing the second cheese I made sure all the food I had was kept inside my tent at night, there weren't any more thefts thereafter.....

Have great trip.

John

PS In reply to cpt_pickard; I was camped inside the fenced area at Vergio :o(

--

John

Dave 54

Posted: Wed, Sep 18, 2013, 20:09

It's the idiots consuming the salami sausage and other food and not sealing it properly. Don't encourage the foxes with food. Just returned from the GR20 and 3 tents got done at vergio. Also we went into the gite above the shop and my mate got 50 bed bug bites, what a mess he looked like for days after.

--

davvey

hikelite

Posted: Thu, Sep 19, 2013, 11:14

Guys,
If i'll be sleeping in winter rooms (hope they will be available late october) at Vergio and Manganu, will that solve the fox problem?

Michele

Posted: Thu, Sep 19, 2013, 12:05

Yes ... Unless the fox is also capable to pick locks :D