A few observations regarding the GR20 from Conca 4th June to Calenzana 19th June 2013.

Gaffr

Posted: Mon, Jun 24, 2013, 14:40

I began from the South to reach the snowy sections when it was warmer. I thought that carrying a bit of winter gear was too much on top of camping kit, tent and all the rest.
The shop at Bavella is not operating now.
I wanted to have a look at the new Croci refuge/gite place so after reaching the col above Asinau I dumped my sack and went to the top of Alcudina where there is now a new cross...In 2007 it had appeared to have been struck by lightning and was lying on the ground.
Croci is a pleasant place to stay with nice food if required. Since this was a fairly short day I explored the possibility of linking Croci to the original GR by using their supply track and sloping off along the track of Cavanelle? unmanned bergerie to join the GR20 at just above the stream crossing on the way up to Alcudina N-S. There at the junction of these paths the Croci refuge is marked up on a direction board of their own making....just follow the two star yellow painted splurges on the rocks. I think this would be quite useful those coming south who perhaps wanted to split the etape. Maybe those going North would want to travel further and use one of the other two accommodations on the 'new' waymarked GR20 route? Well I went my hybrid way to Usciolu because I liked the area of of softer ground and animals and of course this year plenty of water in the little streams.
Usciolu is probably the best stocked place for campers food after all it is stocked from the Bella Vista gite down in Cozzano...same family.
After taking a bit of a beating with rain overnight at Col di Verdi camp and with heavy rain and some thunder etc the following day I was made very welcome at the U Renosu refuge where they had the wood burning stove fired up so I took advantage of this to dry clothing etc....food also very good here with a fine stew and potatoes.
New road surface at Vizzavona for the boys on velos to fly over next week-end during le tour.
The crete between l'Onda and Petra Piana was a nice day out.
The crossing, on the 13th, of June, from PP down to Manganu was a lovely day out with several big snow fields to cross and descend. The wee rock pitch was completely out of the snow and now has a chain, if required, but the holds are big on the rock passage. This section is my favourite on the entire route.
I crossed the cirque on the 16th, of June, from Auberge Vallone, when there were just a few small snowfields on descent before reaching the rock and chain and just three rungs of the ladder were showing out of the neve. One biggish snowfield at the foot of the ascent rocks. I got the feeling that the chains have got shorter on both sides when compared to 2007? or maybe it is me getting older!
The three stages Ascu to Calenzana, as usual, were taxing in the heat of the summer sun.
A very enjoyable trip with a couple of days spent at the L'esperanza camping east of the Poretta Bastia airport with the fun loving folks who run the site. I even borrowed a velo to ride the 'lagoon' section of the tour first stage to Bastia which was great fun.....markings on the roads, bunting flying, a huge yellow jersey hanging off the Calvi citadel...it all seems to be set for a great send off for French great carnival of pedalling power.

--

Gaffr

Michele

Posted: Mon, Jun 24, 2013, 15:45

Thanks Roger for your great update about the trail. I'm sure you must have enjoyed very much.

--Michele

Turnertactics

Posted: Mon, Jun 24, 2013, 16:13

Gaffr

Sounds like you had a productive and enjoyable trip.

I've stayed at Camping Esperanza too and found the people, food and facilities were fine.

It's certainly handy for the airport. 30 minutes walking distance I'd say but we got a taxi...

I'll be going over that 'wee rock pitch' in August. I hope it lives up to expectations.

--

Alan

Gaffr

Posted: Fri, Oct 25, 2013, 6:33

Maybe that the old bergerie should be called Cavallara after the stream of that name....my 1:25,000 map does not extend far enough to the West to show the bergerie position.

--

Gaffr

cpt_pickard

Posted: Thu, Jun 27, 2013, 9:22

Hi,

we must have gone the first parts together :) Who of the group were you? We were the tall guy with a very short girlfriend, green tent, Aussie hats :)

Cheers

Dan

Gaffr

Posted: Thu, Jun 27, 2013, 14:25

Hello,
Travelling tout seul.....but of course on the route I was at times with French and German folks....we must have bumped into one another on occasions?

--

Gaffr

Gaffr

Posted: Mon, Jul 1, 2013, 7:23

Hello,
in response to ...'Who of the group were you?'
I was an old septuagenarian scottish bloke who wore spectacles, wore a grey cap and who carried a red rucksack.:-)...tended to have arguments with stubborn guardiens.

--

Gaffr

Michele

Posted: Mon, Jul 1, 2013, 7:27

Roger,

you could also post a pic of yourself :)

--Michele

cpt_pickard

Posted: Mon, Jul 1, 2013, 9:23

Oh, the man with the "douchebag" and the kettle, very happy about the hounds of Asinao, as I seem to recall :) Also very good at digging trenches at the very same place.
Very nice meeting you, indeed.

We parted our ways at the col below Incudine before we exchanged our contacts - and yet we were interested in some tips for hikes in Scotland. Happy to have found you here.

Dan

http://gr20.pirinx.com/all/_DSC2131.jpg

Gaffr

Posted: Mon, Jul 1, 2013, 15:17

Hello Dan,
Yes I remember you both well. After Alcudina I went down to Croce for the night and then rejoined the normal route from a wee track linking from the bergeries of Cavallara.
Ear defenders will be carried next time for both hounds and for the 'pinging' wee owls? found at some of the refuges with trees nearby. :-)
For hikes in Scotland you could no better that look up the site www.walkhighlands.com which will give you a vast amount of informatiom on walks in Scotland. Have a look and see and if you need any further stuff just let me know.

--

Gaffr