Camping at Calenzana and camping stoves

Patrick Goodarzi

Posted: Tue, Jun 25, 2013, 17:25

Hi all, apologies is this is an FAQ that I've missed.

I and a group of three others are arriving by ferry at Calvi on the afternoon of July 11th, and unsure where to stay on the first night. We're planning to start the first stage the following day, so we're thinking it makes sense to stay the first night in Calenzana.

Is there a refuge at Calenzana? If not is there anywhere to camp near the start of the first stage? And it it easy to get a taxi (or bus) from Calvi to Calenzana?

Secondly, we were planning on taking a camping stove but I've read it's not necessary as each refuge has stoves that can be borrowed. Can anyone attest to this? It would be great for saving weight if we don't!

Will really appreciate any advice you can give, really looking forward to it!

Cheers,
Patrick

Michele

Posted: Tue, Jun 25, 2013, 18:05

Patrick,

In Calenzana there is a Gite d'Etape (i.e. a sort of refuge) with dormitories, kitchen, toilet facilities, and camping place. A bus connection runs twice a day from Calvi to Calenzana and you can also take a cab (about 35 euros) to get there.

Every gr20 hut has kitchen facilities for campers, but, remember you won't be the only ones to use it (so I'd personally bring my own stove).

If you search the forum you'll find that these and similar questions have been widely discussed.

--Michele

Gaffr

Posted: Tue, Jun 25, 2013, 19:39

Another observation of my recent visit was that not all of the refuges had both the gas burners in place and not all had the gas supply bottle connected. It could be an early season thing and that all would be in place during the high season? Could it be a punishment thing for the users leaving the cooking places in a dirty state? Six years ago at each refuge seemed to have the facility available.
Thinking back I used the outside cookers at Manganu, at Castel di vergio (pleasant cooking area), at Haut Ascu (very accessible inside the refuge) and at the well set up area in the Calenzana gite/camping.
At Croci there is an area for cooking with a supply in place.
Nothing at Paliri, at Usciolu where I added a heap of abandonned packages etc to my plastic rubbish bag or at l'Onda. Many of these facilities are left grotty by the users!
Saw that there were outside cookers at Ortu di u Piobbu. Did not see any at Carozzu or Petra Piana...so not sure?
I have never used the inside cooking areas inside the refuges...it seemed like too much hassel with all the bustle of folks inside. I tend to buy my food supplies, if needed, and stay clear of the mayhem.
I would not travel anywhere without my stove and a gas bottle.

A further observation is regarding tent places. In 2007 a few 'guardians tents' could be seen at some of the refuges.....now all have many tents already erected on site which leaves the camper with own tent a small number of the worst sites for putting up a tent! A considerable change this.

--

Gaffr

rogerofwaen

Posted: Tue, Jun 25, 2013, 22:00

also bear in mind that it is virtually impossible to get hold of the `screw on` gas cylinders in any part of france, even more so in /on corsica. whatever gas cylinders you are hoping to purchase try and get hold of it in the major towns. nothing available on sundays-

--

to boldly go-
for a beer

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, Jun 26, 2013, 3:27

Sundays are a difficult day for even getting things from petrol stations.....folks needing petrol generally have to use the cash/card machines to purchase fuel.
I arrived on a Sunday and hitched down to a small village (Moriani) with a BP station with both pumps and wee shop open. Able to get the 'blue puncturing type' cans of gas.
I did also notice that the folks at the camping site l'esperanza close to Poretta Bastia airport have loads of assorted cans of partly used gas of many different types, and whole unpunctured ones left behind by folks returning home by air.

--

Gaffr

cpt_pickard

Posted: Thu, Jun 27, 2013, 9:17

Hi,

just got back so maybe some recent info. I would NOT want to do the GR 20 without my stove, I found it extremely important and useful.
It is true that public cooking places may be seen at *some* places, maybe even most of them. Using these you will be facing several annoying problems:

1) They may not work, they may not even be there.
2) Crowded, you may not cook whenever you want/need. "I can wait" sounds OK from an armchair at home but not on the GR. You are bloody hungry NOW :)
3) Yucky. Sometimes very yucky.
4) Poor performance. They are gas stoves with large cannisters. They suffer from wind, low pressure, dirty jets, malfunctioning vents...

The comfort of your own (and presumably way better) stove is great. You might consider saving some weight and taking just one gas cartridge (or whatever your stove burns) and you the public ones where comfortable and using you stove in other places.

Dan

Michele

Posted: Thu, Jun 27, 2013, 10:05

Thanks Dan for your comments.
I always thought that carrying your own stove is the best way to go. I use a *very* small but powerful one and it works great. And I don't need to stand in line to wait for my turn.

--Michele

Patrick Goodarzi

Posted: Tue, Jul 2, 2013, 11:23

Hi again, apologies for the late response.

Thanks all for the really useful information. We'll plan to camp at Calenzana on the first night.

With regards to stoves, we will take our own (the thought of having to wait our turn to cook did not go down well with the hungrier members of the group!).

However - we are using a Trangia set with a fluid burner for methylated fluid. Would anyone advise against this? We're aware their heat output is lower, but they seem the most convenient??

Does anyone know if methylated fluid is available to purchase in the north of the island? We've been told petrol can be used as an alternative....

Once again, thanks for the advise, getting very excited!

Patrick

cpt_pickard

Posted: Tue, Jul 2, 2013, 12:45

I would not expect anything too specific to be available in Corsica, including methylated spirits. You may get lucky but you may also end up with no stove.
I am not too familiar with the Trangia system but I seem to recall that there are alternative burners for the stove which allow for burning of other fuels, especially white gas and automobile gasoline.

I would probably try that - can't go wrong with car gas, it's everywhere.

Dan

dermot.hughes650

Posted: Thu, Jul 17, 2014, 22:23

Folks,
I have a Coleman F1 lightweight stove that uses gas canisters. Are these available in Corsica?
Thanks,
Dermot.

--

Dermot

Turnertactics

Posted: Fri, Jul 18, 2014, 6:47

Dermot

They aren't plentiful but there is a Millet shop in Bastia that sells them. See http://corsica.forhikers.com/forum/p/19003

The SPAR shop in Calenzana sells them too according to a friend of mine who bought one last year.

--

Alan

reif

Posted: Sat, Jul 19, 2014, 11:24

If you need the coleman type screw-on gas canister, these were sold at the Calvi Super U ( https://goo.gl/maps/aYx9y ), SPAR shop at Calenzana and also at the Haut Asco Hôtel Le Chalet(third stage from the north). At least I found these in early July 2014.