Walking in July/August - Insanity?

zslev

Posted: Tue, Jul 16, 2013, 12:33

Hi All,

I'm extremely keen to do a long distance walk in Corsica - not the GR20 but one of the mare e mare/mare e monti variants.

My best time to do so would be early/mid-august. I hear that the sun and heat can make these walks difficult. Can anyone with experience comment on this?

Is it dangerous?

Does it completely take away from the experience?

Is there a specific walk that is less exposed and more appropriate for the summer?

I'm in good shape, have hiking experience and am used to hot climates, but obviously I don't want to be battling heat stroke every step of the way!

Many thanks in advance

Turnertactics

Posted: Tue, Jul 16, 2013, 12:49

I can offer a few observations from my trip on the GR20 in mid August 2010.

On the higher ground there was a breeze which moderated the temperature somewhat.

On the lower slopes, particularly getting up onto the GR20 from Calenzana and exiting down the Restonica Gorge, it was extremely hot.

Where the trail went through wooded countryside, the temperature was quite good.

Water consumption was very high, so you'll need to carry quite a bit.

--

Alan

cpt_pickard

Posted: Tue, Jul 16, 2013, 18:51

I do not know about the lower routes... but from what I have seen on the GR 20 it would not be the heat but the amount of people what would drive me nuts.

Dan

Joanna

Posted: Fri, Jul 19, 2013, 7:49

The heat was almost too much for me in mid-June, cannot imagine walking (or sitting, or breathing) in Corsica in August... If you go, make sure to cover up well, have plenty of water, a hat, and be mentally prepared.

Gaffr

Posted: Fri, Jul 26, 2013, 7:37

Have only been in Corsica for seven days into July at the end of a trip down from the North to Conca. It was getting hot but by then we were acclimatized and the blood had thinned out:-)
On the lower routes the heat is greater but there is, on most stages on most of the routes, some useful cover/shade from the trees. The temperatures on the higher route we have only experienced in May, June and in September and there was on many days moderation from the moving air....and you are never much below 900 metres or so.

--

Gaffr