Monte Rotondo

Gengis

Posted: Sat, Jul 20, 2013, 16:14

Hello, has anyone done the ascent to Monte Rotondo from Refuge de Petra Piana?
How hard is the trail?
Is it possible to start in the morning from Petra Piana, reach the top of Monte Rotondo, and then make to Refuge de Manganu before sunset?
I have just bought the maps (4251 OT) but that trail isn't marked.
Thanks!

Marco

Gaffr

Posted: Sun, Jul 21, 2013, 8:37

Was camping at PP in June second week of.... I thought that there was too much snow higher up to reach Rotondo at that time. From where I had my tent, on the other side of the stream at PP, I could see a feint path heading across/upwards towards the area of the smaller lakes. I guess that now with less snow/ maybe now very little, it should be possible to go all the way? To reach Manganu afterwards would be a long day.....but travelling light up and down to/from Rotondo...maybe. PD gives a description of the route in his guide.

--

Gaffr

Michele

Posted: Sun, Jul 21, 2013, 9:54

I've never done that myself, but that's definitely a long day going to and fro Monte Rotondo and then walk to Refuge Manganu. It can be done if you travel light and are a fast walker.

Tarjei has walked to the top. You can read his report here:
http://tarjeinskrede.blogspot.no/2012/09/monte-ritondu.html

I'm sure when he reads this, he'll promptly jump in to give you his informed opinion.

--Michele

Turnertactics

Posted: Mon, Jul 22, 2013, 6:59

A round trip from Pietra Piana to Rotondo and back is listed as 4 hours in my guidebook plus 6 hours to the Refuge du Manganu according to the itinerary on this web site: http://corsica.forhikers.com/gr20

--

Alan

Fiona Mack

Posted: Mon, Jul 22, 2013, 9:24

1st July my husband and I attempted Monte Rotundo before continuing in the other direction to Bergeries de l'Onda via the high level variant. The start was clearly waymarked but thereafter its a steep winding semi-track, marked with small cairns with a small bit of easy scramble half way up. I made it to the Breche de Pianraghya (mis-spelled but its the first col). There was still quite a lot of snow in the Lavu Bellebone? which obscured many waymarkers. At this point I decided to conserve my energies and head back down but my husband continued across the neve and up the next col. He also retreated at this point due to time constraints (would have taken him much more than 4 and half hours). His return time from Pietra Piana to second col was around 4 hours.
It was not the degree of difficulty which was the problem but the fact there was still quite a lot of snow and we didn't really have any definitive route map.

Tarjei

Posted: Mon, Jul 22, 2013, 11:09

As Michele says I did it when I walked the GR20 before continuing to Onda (by Bergeries de Tolla).

I had a great hike up to the summit, the views at the top was fantastic. There were almost no clouds in the sky, so I could see for miles up there, really great.

In good weather you should have no trouble finding the way, most of the trail up to the summit is quite clear and is marked with small cairns. There are some parts after Lavu Bellebone that is a little bit more tricky when the trail goes up through an area with large rocks that you have to pass. The directions in Paddy Dillons book is very good.

With snow, as Fiona Mack describes their attempt, it would be more tricky. But by going carefully, you could find your way up to the pass to the left of the very distinct Col du Fer de Lance, you should find they trail again from there. From that pass there are some easy scrambling to get to the summit. You know you are just beside the summit when you arrive at a small shelter.

In bad weather be very cautious to attempt to summit. And really there is no point either, you wouldn't see much anyway then.

As for going to the top and then continuing to Manganu, it will be a long and hard day. I reckon I used about 4 hours going up and down. The ascent is quite steep at some points. Don't forget that you'll also go up to the highest point on the GR20 when going to Manganu as well. In the end I think it's your overall fitness and stamina, and the weather that determines whether to go or not.

It appear that you'll go south to north? If so, you could if the weather is fine consider going to the summit after coming from Onda instead. Going over the crêtes from Onda is a shorter walk than by the Bergeries de Tolla (and also shorter than between Petra Piana and Manganu). That way you will have more than enough time to get up and down before sunset, and it will be an easier day than combined with the stage to Manganu.

Tarjei

Gengis

Posted: Mon, Jul 22, 2013, 13:02

Thanks everybody!

Tarjei, I really appreciate your advice to walk up the Monte Rotondo in the same day of the Onda-PetraPiana walk, I thought that it would be better to do the ascent in the early morning but coming from Refuge de l'Onda I would be able to sleep at Abri Helbronner at the summit of Rotondo (that depends on the condition in which I'm going to find the shelter, of course :D )

Turnertactics

Posted: Mon, Jul 22, 2013, 15:42

There's a thread on here with a link to a video clip posted by Michele about sunset on the summit. See http://corsica.forhikers.com/forum/p/24597

That's what I intend to do at the end of August.

--

Alan

Michele

Posted: Mon, Jul 22, 2013, 15:45

Alan,

I do hope you'll document that experience. I've been dreaming of sleeping on the M.Rotondo top ever since I saw that video ..

--Michele

Turnertactics

Posted: Tue, Jul 23, 2013, 15:56

Michele

I will! Expect some more You Tube video clips later in the year.

Four and a half weeks until we go....

--

Alan

NeerajShah

Posted: Sat, Jun 3, 2017, 5:54

1st July my husband and I attempted Monte Rotundo before continuing in the other direction to Bergeries de l'Onda via the high level variant. The start was clearly waymarked but thereafter its a steep winding semi-track, marked with small cairns with a small bit of easy scramble half way up. I made it to the Breche de Pianraghya (mis-spelled but its the first col).

Trurl

Posted: Mon, Jun 5, 2017, 0:59

850 meters up from PP, and down. Very doable in good weather. It only took us a couple of hours, including stops for swimming in Bellebone, and spending about an hour on the summit enjoying the amazing views (for which you need good weather!). I think we left PP quite late, around 10am, and were back for the speck dinner at 18:30 at PP. Cairn marking was good enough. Recommended!

--

--Jacek

GRRR 20

Posted: Mon, Jun 5, 2017, 9:42

I have climbed Rotondo twice. The first time, I climbed from Petra Piana, returned to the refuge, and took the high-level option to the Refuge de l'Onda. The second time, I climbed it from Petra Piana, returned to the refuge, and had the afternoon free. It's not an easy climb, but it doesn't take too long and is worth the time and effort.