Day hikes in Corsica

s4patel

Posted: Fri, Jul 26, 2013, 4:06

My husband and I will be arriving into Calvi on August 15, spending a total of 13 days in Corsica. We love mountain hiking and are physically fit, but we're just not up for doing the whole GR20. Ideally we'd love to base ourselves in different towns/villages and do day hikes from there. Can anyone provide suggestions, and also do you think we could do that without a car?

Any info would be great, thanks!

s4patel@yahoo.com

Gaffr

Posted: Fri, Jul 26, 2013, 6:07

To get the most out of your stay on the island for day hikes the hire of a motor would be very useful perhaps even essential? The transport on the island is not the most efficient and it can be frustrating when the bus does not turn up on time etc. My experiences with the bus have been at the start at at the completion of my journeys on longer trails on the island when I found that the odd day or two was quite enough! The wee train, however, is very reliable and would allow you to reach many towns and villages on the island...see a map of Corsica. If camping? the car makes it much easier to move from place to place.
We have just one experience of, 'doing' day-trips,after finishing one of the linear multi-day routes on the island when we hired a car for a few days. This was an airport to a second airport hire which allowed us to make day-trips in the south and in the north at the end of our stay close to the port from where we returned to the 'mainland'.
Both the Rother walking guide and Gillian Price's Walking in Corsica guide are helpful in planning walks.

--

Gaffr

Turnertactics

Posted: Sat, Jul 27, 2013, 10:37

What sort of accommodation are you staying in? If you're camping, there's a great looking wooded campsite about half way down/up the Restonica Gorge and a navette bus that will run you up to the Bergeries du Grotelle. From there, its a decent hike up to the Lac de Melo and on up to the GR20. An early start would be advisable although it is quite shaded until the sun breaks over the mountains.

Once on the GR20, you can head right up to the Breche de Capitellu or left to the Refuge Pietra Piana for lunch.

If you're staying in hotels, there were some gorgeous looking riverside hotels on the outskirts of Corte at the beginning of the gorge.

If you do go that way, the shop at the Bergeries du Grotelle do some amazing ham rolls. They're enormous. Enough for breakfast and lunch.

--

Alan

s4patel

Posted: Thu, Aug 1, 2013, 0:18

Thanks for the suggestions. We're going to be camping, and we would love to be able to take bus/train around as car hire is quite expensive, but it seems from what most people are saying (on other sites as well) that having a car is the easiest.

Thanks again!