Bonifato to Haut Asco - how long?

ulabor82

Posted: Mon, Jul 29, 2013, 8:35

Hello fellow hikers

I am planning to do a 3-day hike on GR20 and wondered if anyone can advise how long it takes to hike from Bonifato (car park) to Haut Asco please? It is doable in 1 day?

Thanks in advance!

--

Urszula

Michele

Posted: Mon, Jul 29, 2013, 9:21

Urszula,

It is doable, but you'll have to add a little more than 5 km from the Maison Forestiere du Bonifatu to the refuge Carrozzu. And from there the regular stage is 6 km.

--Michele

Gaffr

Posted: Mon, Jul 29, 2013, 9:58

I would prepare for a longish day and have an early start....are you travelling with a light load i.e. no camping kit etc.
The track up from Bonifatu is fairly direct to the area of Carozzu. In fact you don't need to make contact with Carozzu refuge at all since the path from Bonifatu brings you out quite close to the bridge across the river leading to the Spasimata slabs if I recall correctly....there is a left branch to take if you want to reach Carozzu.
When we camped at Bonifatu some years ago we checked out the path leading to Ortu Piobbu as well as the one to Carozzu...both are fine paths. The wee path (not a GR one) around Punta di Ficaghiola, direct to Bonifatu, in descent from Piobbu was very fine.

--

Gaffr

ulabor82

Posted: Mon, Jul 29, 2013, 12:44

hi Michele and Gaffr,

thank you for your quick and informative replies. I am travelling with light load only so should be possible based on what you wrote if I start early.

By the way: is there a car park in Bonifatu where I could leave the car for 3 days?

thanks again

--

Urszula

Gaffr

Posted: Mon, Jul 29, 2013, 13:54

We were only on-foot folks both times we have made contact with Bonifatu for camping. The auberge is a complex of different types of accommodation of offer from camping, gite, chalets and maybe inside hotel type rooms? there seemed to be lots of cars motorbikes maybe belonging to folks just up for the day walking. Folks in groups walking the Mare e Monti route etc. I think that I recall seeing parking for the Auberge traffic and other parking for the folks up for a day-walk. It seemed to be a fairly busy place. Anyway the terrace was a nice place to sit with a cool drink before having to think about an evening meal.

--

Gaffr