a week in Corsica without car, what to do, where to go?

skiinggirl

Posted: Tue, Aug 6, 2013, 14:15

Hi all, I just booked a relatively cheap flight to Corsica (arrive in Bastia on August 21st, leave from Ajaccio August 27th). Ideally would like to do some nice hiking, but also chill out on some nice beaches. I won't have a car, which will make travelling around and going wherever I fancy a bit of a challenge, so just wondering if somebody could recommend some good places to base myself. Happy to go to a few places if public transport allows. I won't carry any camping stuff, so have to stay in gites/BnBs/hotels. Or do some campsites hire out tents?
Hikingwise I am quite experienced, as living in Switzerland and hiking most weekends. G20 far too long obviously for my short stay, but maybe there are some overnight hikes for 2/3 days which are accessible?
Is there any cheap accommodation for a single person?
I usually don't travel in high season, just was a spontaneous book and seems prices are still at their highest and probably loads of families around still. Any "quieter" places/villages you can recommend?
If anybody is in Corsica around the same time and fancies meeting up, let me know.

Skiinggirl

Turnertactics

Posted: Tue, Aug 6, 2013, 16:44

Skiinggirl

Me, my brother and a friend will be arriving on the 25th August and heading straight up onto the GR20 the next day, so joining up is unlikely. Would you want to hang out with three (very nice) 50 year old blokes anyway?

There is a very good independent web site with all the public transport timetables on it: www.corsicabus.org

The timetables seem to be accurate as far as I can tell, so thank you very much to whoever manages that. It's far better than the local tourist offices can manage....

Vizzavona would seem to be a good place to head to for a couple of day hikes or maybe a two/three day refuge to refuge hike. Going north from there looks to be a good idea but maybe someone else can help here as I've not done that section (so far).

The beaches I've seen around L'ile Rouse are gorgeous. Also one at Pinarellu near Porto Vecchio, where we're spending our last day, looks fantastic.

--

Alan

Gaffr

Posted: Tue, Aug 6, 2013, 17:48

Not a lot of time for walking in Corse....arriving evening 21st?...you would probably spent a fair chunk of the 22nd August just getting somewhere.
All I can think of is take the train to Corte and then to Tattone, walk up via the old Bergeries Tolla to be overnight at l'Onda refuge where you might have to rent a tent?, next day 23rd, up/over and down to Vizzavona. 24th, Give up a day on the beach to walk up and down to/from the Bocca Palmento back to Vizzavona...afternoon/evening train down to Ajaccio...overnight there. 25th, take the water navette across the bay to reach Porticcio where there are beaches. 26th, a free day in Ajaccio. 27th, out to Ajaccio airport. :-). You might need the free day if the weather is poor at l'Onda.

--

Gaffr

skiinggirl

Posted: Wed, Aug 7, 2013, 15:02

Thanks for your replies... I think I may limit myself to one or 2 beachy places and maybe do some (maybe not so interesting) walks from there and do a big walk next time in Corsica. Maybe can squeeze in a 2 day walk. Problem is gonna be finding cheap accommodation in the beach places... seems rather expensive for a single person. Any suggestions?

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, Aug 7, 2013, 16:30

Yes at this time of the season....in August...French holiday time? The accommodation prices will be at the top of the range, I guess. We camped when down in Porticcio. I'm not sure if there is a gite in Porticcio which is close to Ajaccio. To keep down costs maybe carry a small tent in your pack?

--

Gaffr