what's the daily budget on gr20?

oleg

Posted: Mon, Aug 12, 2013, 13:19

I'm taking my tent, but no food at all (well, a little for emergencies).

What would you say a day on gr20 will cost me then?

Thanks.

Michele

Posted: Mon, Aug 12, 2013, 15:54

Oleg,

The following is the cut & paste I did from Giles Campbell's detailed Kit list available at THIS LINK

Money
I spent about 40 Euros a day by the time I had paid for my food and other incidentals. You could go cheaper but this is supposed to be a holiday!!
Bed in the Refuge = 11 Eur
Rent a Tent = 10 Eur
Use your own Tent = 6 Eur per night, includes use of the gas stoves, showers, toilets etc.
Hot dinner = 18 Eur approx
The above calculation of 40 a day does not include travel to and from the gr20.

Breakfast should be around 8 euros.

--Michele

oleg

Posted: Mon, Aug 12, 2013, 18:58

Thank you very much, Michele

Joanna

Posted: Mon, Aug 12, 2013, 19:24

I'm pretty sure you need to pay 6 eur for a tent AND 6 eur per person in addition, which makes it 12 eur. Also, budget for lunch snacks and beer (or coke if you prefere it) :-)

Gaffr

Posted: Mon, Aug 12, 2013, 20:36

Hello,
This year with my own tent it cost me 7 euros to stay at the PNRC refuge camping.
A standard Parcu di Corsica ticket was given to me at each refuge with Bivouac refuge name printed on it. The bergeries/auberges are outside of this system...can't just recall but it may have been a euro extra here....no tickets given here. I mostly cooked my own food and a couple of times used the gas at the camping sites.
With additional purchasing of food to cook etc.....around 27 euros per day...I restricted myself to just two beers when at the final refuge d'Ortu di u Piobbu. I started in the South.

--

Gaffr

Michele

Posted: Mon, Aug 12, 2013, 20:47

There's certainly some confusion going on with the current prices. Even the official park site is outdated about it (2011). Thanks for clarifying.

--Michele

Malte8900

Posted: Wed, Aug 14, 2013, 8:47

I just did the gr20 in july. At Many refuges it now costs 10 € for one person camping in tent, but some places are a bit cheaper. If you buy all your food at the refuges it will be very expensive. At many refuges you can buy food suplies so if you want to save some money you can cook your own food some days. Since you can refill your suplies many times a long the route you only have to carry one can of food at the time so you dont have to carry a lot of extra weight. When I did the gr20 my original plan was to buy all my food at the refuges too. My budget was about 50 £ per day. But then I found out that it was easy to cook my own food some nights so I saves some money. -Malte

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, Aug 14, 2013, 11:56

Hi Malte,
Have just checked out my receipts from the PNRC refuges...I tend to stuff these things into my guidebook....The Park ones, to camp, are 7 euros 2013/1014.
So Paliri, Asinao, Usciolu, l'Onda, Petra Piana, Manganu, Ascu, Carozzu and Piobbu were at that price.

When you stay as I did at bergeries Croci, at Col de Verde, at Castel di Vergio, at Auberge U Vallone, and at the Calinzana place all for camping I was charged at a higher price. The Calinzana gite place there are two receipts 1. tent 4 euros and 2. a camper fee of 5.37 euros so 9.37 there.

In 2007 the price was 4 euros at each PNRC place...such is inflation...although I must say at a couple of the PNRC places that the sanitation has improved....maybe our higher fees will go towards many further improvements in those areas.

--

Gaffr

Malte8900

Posted: Wed, Aug 14, 2013, 12:40

Hi Gaffr. I am absolutely sure that I paid more than 7 euros at many of the refuges. I thought the price was 7 euros at all the refuges so was pretty surprised to find out that it was more expensive at some of the places. As I recall the price was actually lower at castel de vergio.

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, Aug 14, 2013, 16:58

Must say Malte I have the official receipts from several of these refuges in my possession still. I wonder, maybe if there was some malpractice in that you were charged more but were not given a receipt. All the receipts that I have Prix 7 euros stamped on the ticket. If no ticket given/received could you may have been charged more?

--

Gaffr

Michele

Posted: Wed, Aug 14, 2013, 18:02

I think if some malpractice has happened it should be reported immediately to the Park authorities. I can accept if the guardians overcharge us with food supplies and such, but it is unacceptable if they are trying to cheat with the official fees.

@Alan,
please report any anomalies you might notice during your stay. Thank you.

--Michele

Malte8900

Posted: Thu, Aug 15, 2013, 9:13

I don't remember if I had any receipts. I only remember that I got got those signs to place on your tent but I do remember that it said on some of the signs at the refuges that camping with bivouac/tent was 10 Euros. And I was very surprised about that since I thought the price was 7 euros as you said. As I remember some of the places that charged 10 euros was Orto Di U Piobbu and Carrozzu and other places that i cant remember. Maybe I have terrible memory or misunderstood something completely but I feel very sure that this was the price we paid some places.

Gaffr

Posted: Thu, Aug 15, 2013, 9:46

Hello Malte8900,
If you wish I could scan these receipts and send an attachment through the e mail sys.
If you wish just let me know you e mail address.
mine is........ roger.gaff@btinternet.com

--

Gaffr

Turnertactics

Posted: Thu, Aug 15, 2013, 11:04

Michele et al.

I'll keep a log and report back.

Only 9 days to go!

--

Alan

Michele

Posted: Thu, Aug 15, 2013, 12:18

Thanks pal! :)

cpt_pickard

Posted: Thu, Aug 15, 2013, 13:50

I can confirm that my yellow camping tickets are also EUR 7,-. (Not too surprising as we were on the same itinerary with Roger for a while.)

I theorize they might have just bumped up the price for the high season...?

Dan

Gaffr

Posted: Fri, Aug 16, 2013, 7:08

Hello Cpt. P,
When this issue first came up here on the forum I too thought that it could be low/high season rates etc. but it is printed on my receipts/tickets 2013/2014. So it looks like, on the strength of that, the price is stable for one year?
I do feel that folks using the PNCR camping areas should insist on having a receipt.

By my rough calculations there are twelve PNRC refuge/camping areas? plus the small PNCR bothy near to Capanelle and probably not everyone stays at all of these during a traverse. We maybe all tend to mix and match these with the other and varied types of accommodation and camp areas....bergeries, gites, auberge, dortoirs and hotels to suit the traveller's needs and pocket? The Calinzana gite/camping is a bit separate from all of this and seems to be organised through the Marie de Calenzana....higher standard here, well provided kitchen with a dining room etc. with the wash/toilet areas thoroughly cleaned each day and of course more is charged for an overnight. There seems to be more of these (privately run?) than the PNRC provision of places to stay. In all of these you expect a different price to be charged.

--

Gaffr

Michele

Posted: Fri, Aug 16, 2013, 7:33

I still think it's a shame that the Park official site still displays the 2011 prices!!!

http://www.parc-corse.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=227&...

There should be some official clarification about tariffs. Why the hell are they so .... careless???

--Michele

Malte8900

Posted: Fri, Aug 16, 2013, 9:24

Gaffr, I sure believe you so I too find it very strange that me and my brother was charged a higher price. Just asked my brother who I went with and he confirmed me that we paid more than 7 euros at some refuges. Like I said before it said so on the signs so they knew what they were doing. When did you go on the gr20? Me and my brother started in Calenzana on july the 3rd.

Turnertactics

Posted: Fri, Aug 16, 2013, 9:42

Michele

A very rough Google translation of the 2011 charges is (my French isn't as good as I would like!):

'bivouac on areas designed for this purpose shelters around it will cost € 6 per person per night the tent rental type 2 places is possible in each refuge GR20 at 10 € the tent'

I guess 'rental type 2' are the in-situ pop up tents.

--

Alan

Michele

Posted: Fri, Aug 16, 2013, 10:02

Alan,
I agree on the translation. My point was that the site doesn't seem to show the current prices (especially for the bivouac which - from what I hear - is now 7 euros).

--Michele

Edit: corrected typo

cpt_pickard

Posted: Fri, Aug 16, 2013, 10:11

Uhm, another theory here... could it be broken French what caused the confusion? There may be different charges for camping with own tent and for renting a pre-pitched one (I am almost sure that these differ.)

It is not very hard to imagine that a person with an abysmal skill in French - like me - shows up, utters something remotely resembling "one tent, two people" and ends up with the rental charge instead of the bivouac fee...

Just sayin'

Dan

Gaffr

Posted: Fri, Aug 16, 2013, 10:24

Hello Malte,
It was this year 2013...leaving Conca on the 4th, June and staying overnight in Calinzana on the 19th....written on my receipt.

Could it possible be that the higher rates that you paid were in non PNCR locations?

For example at Croci bergerie (non PNRC) where I stayed on the 7th, of June it was just 5 euros. and at Calinzana it was 9.37 euros.
At the other non PNRC places that I used for camping were, Col de Verdi, Renosu, Col Vergio? and Auberge Vallone were a little more a euro or two perhaps but of course at these no receipts for camping here were given.

--

Gaffr

Malte8900

Posted: Fri, Aug 16, 2013, 11:37

The places i paid more than 6 or 7 euros was at PNCR locations. Two places I can remember are the first two refuges Orto Di U Piobbu and Carozzu. Perhaps Dan is right about his theory even though I think we made or selfs pretty clear that we wanted to camp in our own tent. As far as I know you have to book the rental tents in advance so if they thought that was what we wanted I guess they would have looked for us on a list or something and then figured out that we had not booked in advance. But I dont know maybe its just me and my brother that got something very wrong.

Gaffr

Posted: Fri, Aug 16, 2013, 12:01

Hello Malte,
It does look a bit like some 'sharp practice' happening here and there! Carozzu is one of my surviving receipts and you know the rest!
I think what this does highlight that this is a problem to look out for on the route I just hope that folks who use this site pay some heed to this! Also to be very clear about what you want....like 'I have my own tent' and want to pay for a space!
Not a lot that can be done for yourselves, Malte, but those going there in the future please look out for this and be sure about which refuges/camping areas are PNCR as opposed to the private ones.
I guess the folks should thank you for bringing this to the forum and being open to discuss this.
Many thanks to Dan for his, as always pertinent suggestions regarding what you ask for when camping etc.

--

Gaffr

Joanna

Posted: Fri, Aug 16, 2013, 15:03

I'll just drop my 5 cents here as well - many (all) the refuges have price list displayed in a visible place, so. I'm not sure the guardiens would try to cheat people knowing they can just check the price on the list!

Malte8900

Posted: Fri, Aug 16, 2013, 17:17

Gaffr. I am very glad to help. People including you have been very helpful in this forum and I have received some very helpful info. And I think you're right. Next time (hopefully) I will remember to keep my receipts and pay a lot of intention to this. Joanna, yes i know and as fare as I recall the list was similar to the price we paid. But the lists are written with chalk so I guess its easy to change.

Malte :)

Oracio

Posted: Mon, Aug 19, 2013, 13:18

The cost of camping in the PNRC refuges this summer was 7 € / person / night (+ the price of the refuge's tent if you use it).

The price of 6 € is applied only if you make the reservations via the PNRC's web.

Oracio

Gaffr

Posted: Tue, Aug 20, 2013, 7:01

Thanks Oracio, this would seem to clear-up one of the many of the mysteries for accommodation charges on the GR. We all thought that the PNCR were a bit out of sync. with information. Well done the PNCR for this. But does prepayment tie you into being at a refuge/camp on the day printed on the ticket?
I guess that the authorities have a difficult job to do with keeping some sort of sanity on a route that can be at periods in the summer grossly over run with visitors. I wonder, if maybe, they could perhaps, give more information to inform walkers of the many other walking routes on the island? and possibly spread the volume of walkers towards other parts of the island. For a number of folks travelling the GR20, my observations suggest many problems for folks on the route, some previous time spent on an alternative multi day route would be a good preparation for walking the GR20? Our own experiences would suggest that some of the other routes we travelled were not very busy with walkers.....but it may just have been the time of year when we travelled etc.?

--

Gaffr

Joanna

Posted: Tue, Aug 20, 2013, 12:08

I don't think that would help. GR20 is THE route, the most mythical of long-distance paths, that every self-respecting hiker wants to do before he dies! So no amount of information would get people to choose another trail instead of GR20, in best case scenario they would do another trail in addition to GR20...

Gaffr

Posted: Tue, Aug 20, 2013, 16:10

Hello Joanna,
Perhaps mythical on account of the language used by the travel writers....toughest route, the hardest of the GR routes, the walk to do before you expire etc, etc. Is this what attracts the very large numbers. I heard about it in the 1980's from a Scottish person who had been on the traverse and shown me some images of the route....it kind of registered. Then later I was prompted by my daughter's visit to the route in 2001.
We are both fortunate to be living in countries (Norway and Scotland) where we can quickly and regularly get out into the hills and wilder country so before we arrive to do such a route we are reasonably well prepared for days out in rough terrain carrying a rucksack. Most folks coming from the big cities, maybe far from open land, will not find this form of travel easy to manage? no matter how much time they spend in the 'gym'.
My wife has read about, from French sources, of a high incidence of folks on the GR20 not being able to complete the route although wishing to do so! So really all I am saying is maybe that journey along the Mare e Monti or Mare a Mare Nord might be considered good preparation for the GR20? At least they could make up their minds about taking on the bigger challenge. It might just thin out the numbers coming to the GR20?
For me, I don't ever think about, toughest, hardest etc. for me, it is a very beautiful long distance walk in very fine surroundings. I only wish that I had been able get to Corse when I was younger and then I could have come and walked it more often. :-)

--

Gaffr

Joanna

Posted: Tue, Aug 20, 2013, 16:55

Gaffr, now you overestimate me!:-) I might live in mountanious Norway, but it's quite a jurney from Oslo to any "real" mountain! In fact, I haven't done any real hiking in my coutry in at least five years! In other words, I'm a typical example of a person who, according to you, should NOT be able to finish the GR20! I go to the gym 2-3 times a week during the colder season, jog in the warmer season 2-3 times a week, and my hikes are few and long in between! I did not train specifically for my last GR20 trip, which I did exactly 2 years after the previous "serious" hike, but my gym/jogging was more then enough to allow me to start last and finish first on every stage.
My point being - even if you live in Danmark or the Netherland, as long as you are fit, you can do it!

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, Aug 21, 2013, 7:30

Hello Joanna,
No real hiking in Norway but perhaps elsewhere during the past five years? Maybe all that Nordic skiing done as a young person would help with the endurance and of course the mental hardiness to see things through? For me I have to get out into the hills walking and onto my off-road bike occasionally.
I did meet 'heavy traffic' on my final three stages, Ascu - Calinzana and just pondered over how many would get to the other end wherever that may have been. The majority looked as if they were up for the entire trip....big rucksacks with camp gear etc. Quite a number were struggling uphill when I was getting very close to my stage destination and when folks asked me how far it was to 'the refuge'...and this before the first real high point had been reached between Piobbu and Carozzu... it kind-of set off alarm bells! Well I suppose anyone getting through this stage would probably get a bit further along the trail!
Coming from the South with several folks starting from Conca when I left the camping there decided at Vizzavona to do alternative things and at Col di Vergio to branch onto the Mare e Monti and again at Auberge Vallone folks went down, maybe to link with the Mare a Mare Nord, of course I met up with some others again at Ascu after they travelled by bus after Vallone. Now a lot of this could have been caused by the worry and information given out regarding the conditions with lingering snow on parts of the route this year? maybe this June was a unusual. I had been in June in 2007 and this (the snow) was not a problem on the route. Even then, six years ago, there were the disappearing ones owing to medical, sun exposure and wear and tear problems. Of course the dirtiness and squalor at several places could also be a factor for folks altering their plans en-route?

--

Gaffr

Joanna

Posted: Wed, Aug 21, 2013, 13:05

Well, I'd call myself a couch potato with an annual burst of hiking activity! But being in marathon-shape certainly helps!
In my observations, people who gave up during the first stages all had way too heavy rugsucks, often paired with a heavy body frame. Or/and no scrambling experience. But none of them looked directly unfit, just unprepared and overloaded.

Gaffr

Posted: Thu, Aug 22, 2013, 5:31

My apologies I have wandered well away from the topic here!
Thanks J.....we agree that Preparation, a bit of prior training, keeping the weight of the rucksack down and having the determination to see the journey through are some of the essentials for effortless travel on the GR20.:-)

--

Gaffr